Search results

1. S

How screwed am I? (Please help)

Long over due, but the blue wire on the AHU alternator harness goes to the left (looking from back) alternator plug terminal. This is the one closer to the curved part of the D shaped plug on the ALH alternator. The brown with red wire goes to the right terminal. I'm finally going to get to...
  2. S

German wiring in general does not age well in my experience from porsche 924, 928, 944 and bmw E39s. The independent ground for the throttle position sensor with the original ECM is not a surprise, I switched the leads and fried the pin in the ECM when this all started. What is concerning is...
  3. S

Re-installed the original ECM. Both jumpers to ground disconnected, I get most of the same codes as the first time (Set: P0121, pending: P1549, P1161, P1163, P1256) and no throttle response. Reconnected the ground jumper on the throttle position sensor only and none of the codes came back. Did...
  4. S

Another follow up: I finally got around to replacing the ECM witht he good one I picked up from Mozambiquer. I triple-checked the wiring from the alternator to make sure the leads were not switched again. The exciter wire is supposed to read battery voltage with the key in the 'ON' position...
  5. S

Update: Yes, I was able to make the 2 hour drive up to Mozambiquer, it was good to meet you. To get the car running enough to drive, the shop bypassed the pin on the ECU (pin 34) and jumpered the MAF and throttle position sensors. When I installed the ALH alternator (because I couldn't find...
  6. S

1998 Jetta with the AHU TDi My alternator failed outside of Springfield, MO last night. I replaced the alternator with a ALH alternator and I have voltage again. However... The car is throwing codes and the glow plug light is blinking. The engine will idle, but no power, I cannot drive at...
  7. S

Would a 02T 5th Gear Set Work in a 02A?

I figured that would be the case with the 02T, would be too good to be true if they did actually fit. That is excellent news! I am not in a huge rush to do a 5th gear swap, so I will wait to see how those gear sets shape up. Is there a wait-list or mailing list I can join to keep up on it?
  8. S

Would a 02T 5th Gear Set Work in a 02A?

I cannot seem to find much info, or do not know where to look, on the 02T 5 speed transmission. I have been scouring all corners of the web looking for a 0.681 5th gear set (02D 311 158 & 02D 311 361) which are now NLA from VW, and I came across the following gear set: 02T.311.158.BA (52...
  9. S

Does the SDI 'Snail' Intake Bolt Up to an AHU?

Ultimately, any clean intake should be an improvement over the one on my car currently with a sticking EGR. I will consider the PD130, but I do a lot of my commute at <2000rpm, so the equal length runners of the SDI, and the lower airflow resistance is of interest. I guess I will see what is...
  10. S

I read this thread prior to posting, was disappointed by the lack of reps done with the SDI intake. Not conclusive IMO, too many variables uncontrolled, but definitely better than a lack of dyno data altogether. I am new to VWs. Prior to buying this Jetta, the closest thing to a VW I've worked...
  11. S

As the title states, does the SDI 'Snail" intake bolt up to an AHU engine? Will it fit in a stock engine bay? Any other clearance considerations? The part number for the manifold I'm referring to is 038 129 713 BE. I've read multiple threads on this forum, and others that suggest this intake...
  12. S

AHU - Where Does This Vacuum Line Go?

Thank you Oilhammer, that was precisely what was unplugged. The other end of the line was hiding on the back side of the valve cover. I will add a picture for reference when I put the car up on jacks to replace the transmission oil tomorrow. I am pretty sure my EGR is not good. I fixed another...
  13. S

New to TDIClub? Introduce yourself here!

Finally signed up for this forum after lurking for the last month or so since buying my first TDi. The car is a 1998 Jetta and the odo just went over 400K last week. Already had an adventure when 5th gear burnt up driving down to Florida, and dove in and swapped out the transmission this past...
  14. S

AHU - Where Does This Vacuum Line Go?

This is my first TDi, and first VW (that is actually badged VW) but not my first VAG car. I bought this 1998 Jetta III last month and just finished replacing the transmission this past weekend. I have everything bolted up (waiting on the crankcase vent tube which I managed to break) and cannot...