Search results

1. M

Considering Purchasing a 2013 Passat TDI

Hey everyone, Two years ago, I sold my 2014 JSW TDI in order to get my wife a new car. I've regretted it since then (not getting my wife a new car...I wish I would have sold her old one rather than sell my TDI). I'm in the market now for my own (used) car, and among the typical used Camrys...
  2. M

Thoughts on keeping/selling my '14 VW JSW TDI?

Thanks Bob! I appreciate the advice. For the record, I still have a Carvana pick-up/purchase later this week of my JSW. I just really liked my JSW and hate to part with it. I also like spreadsheets, research, analysis, etc., and so this has been a fun project for a few days. But I'm not losing...
  3. M

Yes. I'm in the midst of "analysis paralysis." Only kinda, though. Someone is probably buying my VW on Wednesday morning. However, I took hskrdu's advice and built out a "true cost of ownership" model for the next five years. But if anyone would check my work, I'd appreciate it. One key...
  4. M

From the paperwork (2/14/19; car @ 53,449 miles): Typed out as is in the Labor description; for parts, besides, bolts, gaskets, grommets, nuts, and clips, what's listed is a "Cooler", "Pipe", "Exhaust Pipe", "Seal Ring", and "Core Return" Hope that is helpful (And I'm deep into analysis...
  5. M

Called and checked on my TDI Extended Warranty. I am still covered until 120,000 miles. 40,000 more miles to go. That surely changes the cost/benefit analysis. Also, VW replaced all the emissions-related components around 46,000 miles. So I guess all those components have less than 40,000 miles...
  6. M

Thank you. I am planning to fine-tune the spreadsheet to further the analysis. I don't enjoy driving the Sequoia, but I don't mind driving it if that's the most reasonable choice. Your advice to look out over multiple years was really helpful. I thought that it was *obviously* cheaper to keep...
  7. M

ticaf, that was really helpful. I've spent my lunchtime doing a 5 year TCO for the two cars, as hskrdu recommended above. The only thing I don't know how to estimate is maintenance, but assuming that at the end of those 5 yrs the Sequoia is worthless and the TDI is worth a few thousand. Then...
  8. M

Ok...dumb question perhaps...but I am curious about how my DPF is doing. I’ve seen some people post pics of their multifunction display with info about ash load, etc. how can I see that? I can’t find it on my display.
  9. M

So I finally had a chance to sit down and calculate the miles I drive daily. Since Sept 1, 2018, I have averaged 38 miles/day. That surprised me. Though I don't have a long commute, I do take frequent trips to neighboring cities, or to visit family (200 miles roundtrip). That means I spend...
  10. M

FOR SALE: 2014 Jetta Sportswagen TDI (81k miles) -- Auburn, AL -- $10k

Automatic...sorry I edited the original post
  11. M

FOR SALE: 2014 Jetta Sportswagen TDI (81k miles) -- Auburn, AL -- $10k

Hey everyone, I am selling my '14 VW Jetta Sportswagen TDI because I bought my wife a newer car. I have an offer from Carvana for $9.5k. So I would need $10k or more to make it worthwhile. Miles: 80,972 Automatic Features: Backup camera; no nav; no pano Defects/Problems: none except some...
  12. M

Haha...I am a Christian minister, so I'm not sure that violating federal law would be a good career move (even though I lean very libertarian). I do bike/walk sometimes, but I have a lot of meetings all over the place so I often need a car nearby. There aren't a ton of '14 VW JSW TDIs for sale...
  13. M

That's helpful. I use a local mechanic who has some experience working on VW TDIs, but they aren't on the TDIClub's trusted mechanic's list. I don't do my own maintenance. My commute is less than 2 miles, I live in a small town, can/will use my wife's car for longer trips, etc. So it sounds...
  14. M

Sorry for the odd question. But I recently bought my wife a new(er) car, and I'm trying to decide whether I should take her old SUV or keep my TDI. This is the only TDI I've ever had. I enjoy it and like the mpgs! It has 81k miles on it, automatic, no pano, great condition. The only issue I had...