Search results

1. G

CBEA/CJAA DPF info

Except the temporal association, which was exact (the freeze frame mileage when it tripped.) The car is now ~4k further down the odometer (was simply driven with the light on; I'm the first one they came across with VCDS) - we'll see if it comes back. If its actually hosed clearing the code...
  2. G

CBEA/CJAA DPF info

I just had a friend who had both of those codes trip right after a fuel pump detonation. The fuel system was replaced (just a hair) under warranty. This is on an Audi but same engine -- and the thing is, the DPF load numbers in VCDS are acceptable. I was expecting to see the DPF numbers well...
  3. G

Trusted TDI Mechanics - By State

Looking for someone who can do a timing belt in the Knoxville/NE TN area on a 2011 Audi TDI (A3); I presume same engine as the VWs; its common-rail and my VCDS can talk to it. It had some codes that appeared to be related to a HPFP failure, cleared them, looks good but from the mileage it...
  4. G

Which battery is better

Ground cables are not very hard to make up -- the hard part is the correct crimper for the ends. Then adhesive-lined heat-shrink over the assembly -- the important part is the ADHESIVE LINED heat-shrink which seals it, and of course using closed-end terminals. Virtually NOBODY in the...
  5. G

Shudder while accelerating - not axles, worse when hot

That's just too much lift for the driveline angle as-designed from the factory. Especially if you have power mods (which nobody who has them actually uses, right? :) )
  6. G

Yeah if you have OE axles and the joint(s) are bad replace them; its not hard or particularly expensive. Buying a chaxle sounds easier but you'll never stop having to buy them! :) Agree on the rear control arm bushing may be the cause as well; IDparts sells "loaded" control arms and you can...
  7. G

What @Zak99b5 said -- either inner joints or motor mounts. The inner joint often does not click at all but if you remove the halfshaft what's going on there will be instantly obvious once its out of the car.
  8. G

To test a thermal sensor

I promise you that stopped (e.g. in heavy traffic) in reasonably-warm temps and with the A/C going the fans will switch to high on and off intermittently. If they don't something's wrong and you're going to overheat. A/C off, on the other hand, it might never get hot enough at idle to run them...
  9. G

ALH Low Oil Pressure at Operating Temperature

That eliminates that as a potential cause if its there..... that was my first blush guess since the oil pump and bearing clearances are not at-issue with them being replaced and the head taken care of.
  10. G

ALH Low Oil Pressure at Operating Temperature

The filter cap has a "stalk" with an O-ring on the BOTTOM of it (there's an obvious groove for it.) Is that O-ring there? If its not you will be lucky if you have ANY oil pressure! New filters come with that O-ring (and the bigger one for the cap) in the box -- that's why and yes they should...
  11. G

Need replacement headlights - best options on 2024

Part of the problem with the newer vehicles is that in the US manufacturers have actually been prohibited from putting automatic leveling and directional-following actuators on headlights. Apparently the NHTSA has finally started on a rule allowing it -- they're standard in many other nations...
  12. G

Oh absolutely -- anything with a reflector housing that has an HID or LED lamp in it is going to be utterly ridiculous and worse, they don't even light the road up very well! The car I have that I put LEDs in is a '15 Mazda 6 -- projector housings. The Jetta has ordinary bog-standard halogen...
  13. G

@KrashDH If I get the chance I'll take and put up a picture but yes, I checked it at night, against a flat surface with one bulb on one lamp .vs. the OE bulb in the other one. I've also put the car on a flat surface at night (I live in an area where I can easily get out and walk a hundred or so...
  14. G

I have a pair in my 2015 Mazda (projector halogen lamps) that work perfectly well. The cut-off is equal to the OE halogens and the bulbs have the connector directly on them (no "pigtail" either!) They work, but they're recent (last few months) and I have previously sent two other sets back as...
  15. G

You can put an LED emitter in a halogen projector PROVIDED it fits (many won't due to the heat sink and fan/cabling requirements) and has the emitter in the SAME PHYSICAL PLACE AND SIZE as the filament. Some do but you have to check. HIDs won't pattern properly in a halogen projector because...
  16. G

Lets talk impact guns

I have been able to source a decent percentage of required pieces for such in the past, but haven't had a need in the last couple of years. They're almost-certainly Chinese of course, but..... yeah.
  17. G

Vevor Diesel Heater ?

How do these work in terms of temperature regulation? When they hit setpoint do they cycle off and then back on, just go to a lower fire setting (thus you CAN overrun the temperature if the unit is too big for the space), etc? The manual is NOT clear at all. My intended use is in a van...
  18. G

Lets talk impact guns

The "beastly" one I have is this one: https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-ONE-HP-18V-Brushless-Cordless-4-Mode-1-2-in-High-Torque-Impact-Wrench-Tool-Only-PBLIW01B/317438520 I like it plenty, and might buy its little brother if I can find it at a nice price since I already own batteries for my...
  19. G

Valve Cover Gasket

I have an aftermarket on mine, ~3 years now, no leaks. Works fine.
  20. G

Bew Timing Belt Skip Damage

Yeah you had love-making between pistons and valves; the damage is likely confined to the head, but it has to come off and be gone through because if you don't the risk is extremely high that you will drop a valve and potentially total the block 10 or 20k miles down the road.