Search results

1. 0

What did you do to your MKIV today?

Tested my fan operation by jumpering the 3 wire connector. Low and high speed works fine so I'll be buying a new fan temp sense switch. Also sealed up the rocker sill drain hole at the front. I cleaned them out a few weeks ago when I replaced the radiator and then realized that white stuff I...
  2. 0

New Beetle - Was: Don't get a Mahle/Behr radiator!

Jumpering shows the fans work at low and high speed. Will order and replace the fan temp sensing switch.
  3. 0

203F is 95C, right in the middle of the low stage range you listed. Zero airflow due to being stuck at the light is my historical reference, and lower radiator output will approach/equal head outlet with no airflow. Never seen it go above 205 at a stop light/grid locked traffic before until now...
  4. 0

Found out I think I have a low speed fan problem. Was sitting at a construction light waiting our turn and watched the coolant temp climb from 199 up to 210 before I got worried and turned on the AC to get the low speed fans turning. Usually I can tell when the fans come on as the temp will...
  5. 0

Strut mount bearing headache

That's the way it is. If you look at the bearing, the strut shaft goes up inside and rests on the top of the bearing, not the bottom. The bottom of the bearing is what the top spring perch rests on and the whole strut, spring rotates but the shaft stays put. That aluminum cup on the top of...
  6. 0

Strut mount bearing headache

I've used the same mounts on my 03' jetta and 01' beetle with no issue. As far as 'mount doesn't spin at all, it's not supposed to. The mount + shaft are stationary when installed in the car. The whole outer part of the strut + spring + upper spring perch rotate. You can tell that as the upper...
  7. 0

radiator coupler O ring installation

I just did this on my beetle. You need to pick out the old orings from the coupler, lube and install the new ones. I use silicone o-ring grease sparingly as the lube. BTW, for the thermostatic switch screwed into the radiator tank, did yours have a gasket?
  8. 0

Eating crow here. Apologies to oilhammer - the original radiator on my NB was replaced this weekend and indeed OEM from the factory used the swaged/mechanically assembled radiator technique. The tubes though were quite oval in shape vs perfectly round on the Behr and Nissens. The one side was...
  9. 0

Are the NB rocker panels 'sealed'?

Finally got the time to change the radiator out on my '01 Beetle. While the fenders and liner were out, I cleaned all the built up dirt. The rocker panels have an intentional 'port' on the lower forward side - both of mine were plugged but now I think that was intentional. I stuck a...
  10. 0

Free, minimally used struts, one pair of new.

Pair of Sachs has been picked up. 97Caron has dibs on the Bilstein - waiting for pickup. Still have the Monroe OE Spectrums - good if you need to fix a car for sale. I never put them on as I bought the Koni's, but supposedly they're like the Koni Reds (take that with a large grain of salt).
  11. 0

Southern California, north of Los Angeles, halfway to Santa Barbara
  12. 0

Location - Ventura Calif. When I had my Jetta, I put Bilstein B4’s on it all around and hated them. Swapped them for Sachs a few months later. Loved the Sachs on the Jetta. For free, I have one set of Bilstein B4 struts and shocks just a few months old that fit the MK4 Jetta/golf/beetle. -...
  13. 0

Learning more about this new type of radiator construction. It's called "mechanically jointed radiator". Notable appearance are the round tubes, non-brazed joints or fins. I'm not seeing any info claiming an advantage other than weight. Disadvantages are lower cooling performance due to fins...
  14. 0

I received the Nissens radiator today and it has the same construction as the Mahle/Behr. No brazing, rubber sealed tubes, very fine aluminum fins. What I didn't realize is that the header plate is steel. That explains why the crimp fingers are thinner. In my photo above of the Mahle/Behr...
  15. 0

That’s where my OEM is leaking. the crimp is failing on the tank in the right side. OEM on the PT Cruiser was that way too, two of them ( yes, we owned two simultaneously for a while). Older Astro Van too. Makes for mysterious leaks as it would seal up just fine except under certain cases. My...
  16. 0

For everyone that bought the Behr, was yours constructed the same as my photos? (Rubber sealed tubes, no brazing anywhere, thin crimp fingers around the tank?) I don’t think they used this type of tech 20 years ago. I feel like this is a recent change. Everyone else has the brazed tubes to...
  17. 0

So the OEM uses rubber seals on the tubes? No brazing at all? There's 40 tubes, so 80 rubber seal points. Radiators I've had to replace (even OEM on other cars) the seals between the tank and the flange end up failing. I can't see adding 80 additional rubber seal points to be an advantage...
  18. 0

Received a Mahle/Behr radiator today for my Beetle. Opened it up to see if I got a high density finned radiator and I did. Really surprised that the fins moved under very light pressure - until I looked at all the metal used. - Fins measure 0.07mm thick. - the flanges on the side, the fingers...
  19. IMG_0322.jpg

IMG_0322.jpg

20. IMG_0324.jpg

IMG_0324.jpg

Super thin metal (Mahle/Behr radiator)