Search results

1. shoebear

01 ALH NO TURBO BOOST... SOUNDS LIKE A STEAM LOCOMOTIVE...

Yes, I know this from experience! :) I have upgraded all the clamps to T-bolts, and I haven't tested past 25 PSI.
  2. shoebear

01 ALH NO TURBO BOOST... SOUNDS LIKE A STEAM LOCOMOTIVE...

I have one of these boost leak testers that attach to the hard plastic intake pipe (after the accordion hose) and allows pressurization to 30 PSI (the limit of the gauge). You could probably piece one together for half the cost, but the kit makes it convenient...
  3. shoebear

2005 1.9tdi PD BEW Bora Wagon Boost drop and shudder.

I would also also check the: Brake booster vacuum hose for leaks Rest of the vacuum system for leaks Turbo vane actuator for stickiness The brake booster hose runs from the vacuum output of the tandem pump to the brake booster. There are two sections, and leaks commonly develop in the hard...
  4. shoebear

Clutch R&R Question

Sounds to me like this is a harmless common issue with the Sachs/Luk VR6 clutch. You could play around with different fluid if you want, but the fluid will likely affect other things also, like cold weather shifting. I'm using the VW-recommended G 070 in mine. There's no viscosity listed, but...
  5. shoebear

Clutch R&R Question

I think that would be this kit. Maybe the Sachs/Luk friction disk is noisy, while the South Bend one is not? @csstevej, what SMFW clutch do you have that rattles?
  6. shoebear

Clutch R&R Question

As you know, I just installed a SMFW and South Bend Stage 2 Endurance clutch at the beginning of this year. I haven't noticed any unusual clatter from mine, including after driving from Colorado Springs to Arkansas & Missouri and back. However, I'll try to remember to check specifically next...
  7. shoebear

OBD 2 App that works with mk 4?

It has been a while since I played with it; so my memory is a bit fuzzy. Also, I don't own a vehicle with a DPF. I think I remember you can display any value the OBD2 provides - but I can't guarantee it. Here is (from the Amazon ad) a graphic showing all the different icons it has. I think...
  8. shoebear

OBD 2 App that works with mk 4?

Display was too small for me to read - but that's just me, I have vision just barely good enough to pass the driver exam. Also, I live at 6300', and the boost gauge assumes sea level instead of sensing ambient pressure. So it reads boost pressure - 3 psi. No thanks. Want it? Yours for cost...
  9. shoebear

Clutch Not Disengaging

My pivot ball was worn down to the metal, and it had started to gouge out the pivot arm, but it hadn't actually worn a hole just yet.
  10. shoebear

Clutch Not Disengaging

Regardless whether that finger is actually missing or absent by design... I'm glad replacing the clutch fixed the problem and you are back on the road.
  11. shoebear

Discounted TDI oil locator thread

I just checked again using the link above, and it shows the 3-jug pack out of stock. If I followed the oil selector down to this oil, only single jugs are available for $27.97 each. So if you see a price in the mid $20's, make sure it's the 3-jug pack and not a single jug.
  12. shoebear

Thanks, I'll check again periodically for the next day or two.
  13. shoebear

Just checked. Now $63.88. $24.50 must have been a temporary price glitch.
  14. shoebear

Clutch Not Disengaging

I had exactly those symptoms just before Christmas, tried bleeding the clutch hydraulics to no avail, and finally decided to replace the clutch. Good thing. When I got in there I found that the tips of 6 of the 16 pressure plate springs had broken off, which prevented the pressure plate from...
  15. shoebear

I am doing a injection pump seal replacement today, Any pro tips?

Diesel will degrade rubber hoses. After you finish and clean everything up, check the hoses under the pump that got diesel on them -- you will probably need to replace them.
  16. shoebear

Mk4 Jetta ALH Fuel Issues

You've mentioned several issues, not just fuel. Let me address the over/underboost issues. First, some general background... Diesels have no throttle plate, so they do not generate vacuum as gas engines do. So we have a vacuum pump which supports the power brake booster, EGR valve...
  17. shoebear

Xman GT1752 Turbo

But if my cam is in good shape and I'm not replacing it, should I still get new lifters, or just use the ones I have?
  18. shoebear

Xman GT1752 Turbo

Oh yeah. I also have an 11mm IP to install. :) I was wondering about the lifters also. Do they go bad/wear out? And if the cam looks good (no grooves/rough spots), is it fine to reinstall? The "rebuild a spare head" idea appeals to me also. I'm a weekend warrior, and the car is my daily...
  19. shoebear

Xman GT1752 Turbo

I like his homemade tools, but here's a store-bought spring compressor that is made for working with the head on the car. There may be others, but this is the one I found first. https://www.ecstuning.com/b-schwaben-parts/valve-spring-compressor-kit/029610sch01a...
  20. shoebear

Xman GT1752 Turbo

Looking around, I did find this video which looks helpful. In this video, he replaces only the #4 cylinder exhaust valve seal. With the engine at TDC, the #4 (and #1) cylinders are at the top of their travel and will prevent the valve from dropping into the cylinders. To do the #2 & 3...