Search results

1. J.P.

Show what you tow!

OK. I think I have that covered well. I designed a hitch out of square tube and angle iron that uses all the stock mounting points for the rear bumper shocks (3 big bolts with 2 contact points each on both sides). Matt Whitbread did the welding, and milled the bumper shocks to allow them to...
  2. J.P.

Show what you tow!

I will 2nd the problems with scotch locks. My b5.5 has them and my left turn blinker will blink 5x speed half the time (which probably means the trailer is not lighting up.). Sometimes it changes from regular to fast and back while I'm sitting waiting to make a left turn. Unnerving.....
  3. J.P.

Show what you tow!

Good one! I'm sure they are metric over there :) This trailer is for tall horses as my daughter's horse is big. I'm not sure how I would feel about towing 2 big horses in there behind the b5.5. What would your max be for towing with a b5.5 equipped with a 6 spd?
  4. J.P.

How to upload photos in Xenforo and use them in your posts

Thank you for this. I have to copy the "image BB code" and PASTE IT INTO THE BODY OF MY REPLY. if I use the little "insert image" icon on the menu bar at the top of each post, and paste the same "image BB code" in the dialogue box it won't work. It tells me "something went wrong" and won't...
  5. J.P.

Show what you tow!

Here's what I've towed. This is a Brenderup horse trailer and probably weighed 3,500lbs loaded for this trip. I bought it with a rotted out floor and rebuilt it. The Brenderup is a euro design, brought to the states for a while, but no longer. It has radial tires, shock absorbers on all 4...
  6. J.P.s Media

J.P.s Media

7. IMG_5435.jpg

IMG_5435.jpg

B5.5v towing Brenderup Baron HB
  8. J.P.

Show what you tow!

HA! I've never heard of an RCO tune! That is mighty impressive. RCO would probably be good for me, as is too much fun to accelerate with the tunes on my cars. My fuel economy numbers confirm that windage is more significant than weight. Towing a utility trailer with my ALH, economy went...
  9. J.P.

Show what you tow!

Oilhammer, when you towed your camper trailer with the golf, did you track fuel economy? I'm curious what the windage did to fuel economy, and if you had to tow in 4th gear. JP
  10. J.P.

I'm baaack!

I am relatively new to the b5.5 realm and have a 6spd swapped 05 wagon with BSM deleted, Colt Stage 2 cam, Malone stage 1.5 tune. It is a comfortable and reasonably quiet car, and consistently gets 37mpg per tank in mixed-use. It doesn't feel as torquey down low as a tuned ALH, but I can pass...
  11. J.P.

How I fixed my no-turbo problem

Excellent write-up. Thanks for posting.
  12. J.P.

Need some input! Cloud of grey smoke on startup

The car is a little ripper now! We have had a bunch of car issues so cars have been rotating and my wife is driving it now. Super clean red mk4 with an attractive woman driving it has 20somethings in tuned japanese cars pulling alongside regularly! :-o I did upgraded injectors as well...
  13. J.P.

Cloud of Startup Smoke Issue Resolved with a Tune My apologies for not updating this thread! Thanks to all for your help and input on this issue. I ran out of time / patience / ideas and had the car tuned - issue resolved. I did a TD tune through Whitbread that deleted MAF and EGR (left in...
  14. J.P.

I will check that! Other car is a Rocketchip tune so I'm pretty sure it has immo delete. Swapping the ECU sounds like the best next step to easily isolate an EGR problem. Time to learn how to properly pull the ECU.....
  15. J.P.

Update: I swapped MAFs between cars. Installed in this car MAF requested and MAF actual are very close all the time. If I accelerate hard MAF actual will get up to 800. Here's what I saw though. Starting the car with MAF plugged in produces a giant cloud of smoke, and some stumbling at idle...
  16. J.P.

An update: Pulled the intake hose off the ASV and started the car - still smoke. Intake looked very clean with just a light coating of soot (confirming PO's statement of cleaning the intake). Unless there is some obstruction anomoly at the bottom of the intake I can rule out air restriction...
  17. J.P.

I pulled the intake hose off and inspected the ASV and there was minimal buildup, but I did not start the car with that hose off. I'll check it. Thanks for your line of thought with this. I will revisit, and compare boost logs for this car and the good running ALH while I wait for injector...
  18. J.P.

What else should I inpect while I have injectors out? Question for you all: What should I look for in the combustion chamber while I have the injectors out? I have a cheap HF borescope that I intend to use when I pull the injectors. I intend to swap them while the engine is cold, so I can...
  19. J.P.

Thanks for the responses. This is helpful! I found a lot of confusing info on this. I'm wondering if the confusion is GP operation from other engine models. My Bentley for the ALH indicates that "additional heat from the glow plugs is not needed until temps drop to approximately 48...
  20. J.P.

Things seem to be pointing towards injectors. Even if not, pulling the injectors will let me inspect the cylinder with a borescope and give me better data. I have a family member in the hospital, but will be gathering the tools and pulling the injectors as soon as I can. I'd like to swap...