Search results

1. bubbagumpshrimp

Saw a car carrier full of TDI's this morning...

It may be a "WGAF?" for some, but I saw a car carrier this morning loaded with what I'm assuming were bought back TDI's. Four Golfs, three Jetta wagons, and two Jetta sedans. I lost sight of it around Springfield (headed north on 95). Part of me is curious where they were headed. The other...
  2. bubbagumpshrimp

What is this on dash (near defroster)?

I was vacuuming up dog hair in the car, hit up the dash, and was suddenly greeted with the sound of something plastic going down the Shop-Vac hose. Is what was in this void (aft of the defroster vents) something important that I need to go fish through the vacuum bag for? Thank you.
  3. bubbagumpshrimp

Missouri Already Received $8.7M Settlement...

Well...apparently VW isn't waiting till Tuesday (10/25) for some pieces of the settlement.... http://www.columbiatribune.com/business/missouri-gets-m-from-volkswagen-after-emissions-scandal/article_f242bbcb-db5e-5746-b128-3b679a564c38.html
  4. bubbagumpshrimp

60k Service Dilemma: Realistically...how long can you put it off?

How long can I reasonably expect to push the oil change and fuel filter change? I'm at 59,900 miles. I realize that nothing is going to magically grenade when I hit 60,001 miles. That being said...I'm not a fan of stretching service intervals. If I thought that it was a realistic expectation...
  5. bubbagumpshrimp

For Transit Connect or Ram Promaster City?

Anyone have experience with either of these? They seem like they'd be a good option to haul around some $h1t. ~2,000 towing capacity and very roomy, in the cargo capacity department. I'm specifically thinking about the passenger/wagon model...and yanking out the rear seat (in the long wheel...
  6. bubbagumpshrimp

Thoughts on Volvo XC90 (or similar)?

Any thoughts on the Volvo XC90? I wasn't initially considering them, due to the price tag (MSRP of ~$45k), but I was just talking to an uncle yesterday who got $13k off a new XC60. The dealership threw out $12k off right off the bat. If that discount could be worked on an XC90 (no idea if...
  7. bubbagumpshrimp

Headlights (low beam) keep going out...what's the deal?

I've lost track how many times I've replaced my low beam headlight bulbs in the past ~30k miles. I've replaced both sides at the same time at least twice...and I've replaced one side or the other at least three times. I didn't have to touch them the first ~25k miles or so. Then they just...
  8. bubbagumpshrimp

Think Tank Claims Attorneys Bilked VW Claimants Out Of Hundreds Of Millions

If this is legit (hopefully not)...this doesn't bode well for the 10/18 hearing. Who knows...this could just be the one group of people that did not manage to get their hands in the VW pot of gold. I don't see the filing mentioned on the CA court website though...
  9. bubbagumpshrimp

P0234 - Limp Mode + Flashing Glow Plug Light + CEL?

I was accelerating in third gear (manual car...if that matters) when the car just stopped accelerating. I was like "W T F?"...looked at the dash...and was greeted with a flashing glow plug light. The car wouldn't go above ~1,700 RPM (it got there SLOWLY) and wouldn't go above about 45 MPH...
  10. bubbagumpshrimp

My TDI, lol. (vertical seat adjustment)

I've had my car for a little over three years. Since early on...I b*****d about the vertical adjustment lever for my seat. It would go up and down...to a point. It always seemed (as others indicated) that it SHOULD go lower. Since day one, it just wouldn't happen...regardless of how much I...
  11. bubbagumpshrimp

GM Wiring Harness Question: What Gauge Wire is This?

This is the off-brand version of something that I need to install this weekend in a Pontiac. I purchased the GM parts separately. If I'd known that this was available as a kit...I'd have just bought this. Anyways...does anyone knows what gauge wire is needed for this harness? I have the red...
  12. bubbagumpshrimp

Bluetooth audio with volume low = scratchy (ex. Bad cassette or CD) sound?

When streaming music via Bluetooth...if I have the volume turned down low...I get a scratchy sound through the speakers that sounds like a crappy cassette or CD back in the day.:confused: Has anyone else experienced this? It's been happening for a couple months now. Any idea what might be...
  13. bubbagumpshrimp

Nissan Titan XD (diesel)

I haven't seen the soon to be released Titan diesel mentioned, so I thought I'd throw it out there. They went with a 5.0L Cummins. The only real "performance" related figures that I've seen are related to the fuel economy. The Ram 1500 diesel has it beat by a good bit. The Titan is supposed to...
  14. bubbagumpshrimp

Engine getting noisy the past few thousand miles...would an additive help?

From day one...I thought my engine ('13 CR TDI) was VERY quiet for a diesel, so I'd like to start by saying that. However, in the past few thousand miles...the sound of the engine (diesel pitter patter) is getting more pronounced. Not early MKIV TDI noisy, but just more noise. This sound is...
  15. bubbagumpshrimp

Wheel/tire question: B5S4 Avus (17 x 7.5)

Please correct me if I'm wrong on anything here (or if you could reply with a yes...that would be super): -These have a different offset than the factory 16's, but will mount up fine (no rubbing) without needing any aftermarket equipment (i.e. Wheel spacers). -Tire size for my application...
  16. bubbagumpshrimp

Wheels and tire package (OEM take off) search engine

I apologize for asking a question that's probably been covered a hundred times before, but I'm not finding an answer via the 'Search' function. I've seen members mention a website that appeared to be a craigslist of sorts for wheels and tires. Does that ring a bell for anyone?
  17. bubbagumpshrimp

Extended/longer passenger seat bracket in MKVI?

Is there any way to get the passenger seat back to where the drivers seat is (distance from the dash wise)? I.e. Aftermarket seat bracket. I'm 6'4" and have plenty of legroom in the drivers side. Sitting in the passenger side though, there's a good bit less room. This is an issue, because the GF...
  18. bubbagumpshrimp

VW shop in/around Arlington, VA that carries 5x112 OEM take-offs (wheels and tires)?

Does anyone know of a VW oriented service/tuning shop in/around Arlington, VA (or anywhere else in the area) that might sell OEM take-offs (low mileage tire and wheel sets)? Additionally...I'll need to do my 40k service soon, so if there's a shop that also has a shuttle service in that area...
  19. bubbagumpshrimp

Anyone go from a MK VI Jetta TDI to a '12+ Passat?

With my new commute (50+ miles each way) I've been pondering: 1. Getting a car with more space, and 2. Ditching the manual transmission. Yeah...I know...:eek:. As much fun as the manual is with many types of driving (all four of the VW's I've had were manuals), it sucks for stop and go traffic...
  20. bubbagumpshrimp

Dropped/lost socket in engine bay...where would it go (picture)?

I went to remove the air box (replacing air filter) and managed to drop the socket down in. The engine bay. It fell through a round hole (pictured). I stuck a long magnet down in there, but I can't seem to locate it. I banged on the splash guard...it doesn't appear to have gone that far. Any...