Search results

1. C

When the maintenance gods frown upon you..

Started to pull everything apart to change the heater core due to the sickening sweet smell coming from the heater. At the same time I was planning on replacing all the missing foam from the blend doors. Then the maintenance gods frowned upon me with great displeasure.... Every piece of plastic...
  2. C

Heater core changeout and foam repair.....Grrrrrrrrrrrr....

My bug has had the foam blowing from the vents for a while. I hand't worried too much about it. Three weeks before Thanksgiving, I started to get the heavy smell of coolant in the front seat along with damp carpet. Crud....core is leaking now, so I decided to tackle both the core and the foam at...
  3. C

Alphaseinor' new shop...

Brian: Went by and saw the destruction this morning. Hope everyone is ok. If you need my trailer or a little extra manpower, shoot me a pm. Hope to see things back together and functioning soon.
  4. C

Strange ALH start problem

Went out to shuffle vehicles in the driveway a little while ago. I had to move the bug twice, as it had to go where the truck was parked in front of one of the trailers. !st move went fine, but things got strange when I went to start it the 2nd time. It spun over like it had a compression...
  5. C

Tire selection question

I'm running a bone stock 2001 NB. I average a minimum of 750 miles a week on it and have been running thru tires pretty consistantly. I get about 40k miles on them and they then start wearing extremely rapidly. I don't think I've made more than 13 months on a set of tires since I bought the bug...
  6. C

Oil extractor choice??

Anyone have a good recomendation for a powered oil extractor? It's like a car lot around my place and my dad's. Between us, there are more than a dozen cars, trucks, tractors, boats and jet skis. It's now to the point that there are at least two vehicles every month that are due for oil changes...
  7. C

Stock wheels in DFW area?

Anyone in the DFW area got some stock wheels for a 2001 NB that they would be interested in selling? I couldn't avoid a chunk of steel on the freeway this morning and destroyed one rim along wth the tire on it. I've got one other that has some gouges in it also that should be replaced too. I'd...
  8. C

New stub and hub question

A couple of weeks ago I got clipped directly on the driver's rear wheel of my NB. The rear beam had been tweaked a little, long before I bought it and this little kiss added to it. I got a new beam and ordered new stubs and hubs to install. With the new ones installed and torqued, the stubs now...
  9. C

Depinning a plug

Anyone have any words of wisdom on trying to depin a VW connector. I need to rewire the connector for my OAT sensor and for the reverse light switch, as the leads got cut right at the plug. I did a quick search through the site, but didn't see anything. I hate the idea of having to buy an entire...
  10. C

NB parts diagrams

Anywhere on the web that I can get parts diagrams for a NB? I got blown off the road coming home this morning and destroyed the radiator support on my 2001 NB while keepig it off a brick and concrete wall. It will be Friday before I can get under the car and scrape out all the frozen mud packed...
  11. C

NB Clutch question

I've got a 2001 NB that is going to be in need of a throwout bearing in the near future. In traffic I can hear it growl while holding the pedal down. My question is: to split the engine and trans, do they need to be completely dropped out of the car? I've got about 169K miles on the car. If...
  12. C

Outside air temp display

Does anyone know if there is a way to change the refresh rate for the OAT display? I've got a 2001 NB and the display takes a minimum of 45 to 70 seconds to refresh when there is a noticeable temp change. It's kinda weird to run through a very sharp temp change with the windows down and never...
  13. C

Induction system oil accumulation

I've had to pull my alternator for overhaul and needed to pull the bottom induction pipe to the intercooler for better access. I was suprized to get about 5 or 6 tablespoons of oil out of the line. This is a 2001 NB and has just under 130K on it. The timing belt and mass airflow sensor were...
  14. C

Alternator Replacement?

Is there any easy way to figure out the correct alternator on a 2001 TDI NB without pulling it? I've had to park mine until I change it. Unfortunately it's parked 70+ miles away and I'd prefer to not tear it down prior to having a replacement in hand. I know that there are a couple of different...