Search results

1. R

Adventures at -37

I don't smoke. I run it for 5 minutes before driving. And I installed a new thermostat last month. Relief is coming though. Going to be -24 tomorrow.
  2. R

Adventures at -37

I keep the fan at 3 at the very minimum. Otherwise a layer of ice will build up on the windshield and I can't see. I wouldn't suggest not using a block heater at -35 though. That cold is tough on engines.
  3. R

Adventures at -37

What kind of block heater do our cars have? Is it a circulating heater? Seems to work well. I have a highway commute but still, it barely moves the gauge at -38. At -20 or so it's perfectly normal. Maybe 30 minutes of run time just isn't enough.
  4. R

Adventures at -37

I'm parking the wagon until it warms up. It barely moved off cold. It's fine at -20 but its -38 today and it just isn't designed for this kind of temperature. I have a Ranger I can drive in the depths of winter.
  5. R

Adventures at -37

Minus 37 this morning. With the 30 kmh wind it was -55 wind chill for us living things. Anyway, the TDI fired right up. But the temp gauge moved only off cold on my 30 km commute. Not much heat. This is my first winter with the 2013 Sportwagen. Am I in danger of excess crankcase moisture? I was...
  6. R

Only -28 and poor heat

I watched my gauge on the way to work today. As soon as I get into the city at a stop light it starts dropping. My thermostat is fine. I need to cover the rad.
  7. R

Only -28 and poor heat

It was -17 on the way home. Plenty of heat. This morning it was -32 and the heat was poor. The temp gauge moved about halfway to 190 then stopped. This is a winter front issue. I need to block the cold blast of highway air. At -32 the heat loss on the highway will be to much for the engine to...
  8. R

Only -28 and poor heat

Maybe. The car does have 31,000 miles. But it heats and operates just fine at -15. I've had cars with bad thermostats before and you can tell even at -15 that its stuck open.
  9. R

Only -28 and poor heat

I do but I don't want to risk my laptop at -30. Going to try the simple thing 1st. Cardboard.
  10. R

Only -28 and poor heat

I didn’t even know it had an electric heater. But the problem is the coolant temp. It was actually -33 this morning. And it only just moved off the bottom of the temp gauge.
  11. R

Only -28 and poor heat

Winter isn't even here yet and I'm complaining about the lack of heat. I have my 2013 TDI wagon plugged in on my timer so it starts instantly but a 10 mile highway run into the city and another 7 miles of city driving barely move the needle off cold. It's not the heater core as it heats very...
  12. R

Demulsifier additive?

Just pour it over the closed fill gate flap and it will seep by?
  13. R

Random long crank?

I had this problem when I bought my car in August. I replaced the battery 4 days after buying the car. No problem since.
  14. R

Demulsifier additive?

Lots of great suggestions. Now how do you add it? The factory filler needs something the width of a diesel nozzle to even open the filler neck.
  15. R

Demulsifier additive?

It's starting to freeze in the morning and that got me thinking about additives for the winter. On my Ford 6.7's I have only used the Ford additive which is a demulsifier/cetane boost and anti gel. Since VW does not recommend an additive, and the filter housing has no drain, is anyone finding...
  16. R

Air box screws question.

They simply screw into the plastic housing. They are just screws. Not machined threads.
  17. R

Air box screws question.

No nuts on this airbox, just screws. Sadly three are stripped. The monkeys strike again. Although this may have been a ham fisted ape.
  18. R

Air box screws question.

Airbox screws question I recently bought a new air filter for my 2013 wagon with 29000 miles. I removed all the fasteners holding the top of the airbox down and removed the filter only to find it was recently replaced. Anyway, when I reinstalled the screws it seems like some will only fasten...
  19. R

winter driving / upkeep

All I plan on doing is plugging it in like any other diesel I've ever had. We had over a month last year where it never got above -30. I put the biggest battery I could find in it already with the factory blanket installed. I will use Ford anti gel cetane boost.
  20. R

Random long crank?

My new to me 2013 wagon did this as well. A new battery solved the issue. The old battery tested well. But at 5 years old it must have been on its last legs.