Search results

1. S

TDI DIY coolant filter

I don't think so, both packets were completely intact with no holes. What I got out of the heater cores when I back flushed them and what I filtered out wouldn't have all fit in those two packets. This is something beyond that.
  2. S

TDI DIY coolant filter

Thanks, interesting idea going back to G12. As an update I changed the filter again after a few thousand miles and cut it open. There was still a little debris in it but not much. Going forward I'm likely going to swap the coolant filter when I do oil changes unless something obvious happens...
  3. S

TDI DIY coolant filter

I likely had air trapped in the heater core before I put the filter in too though. Pretty sure that is why it clogged the first time after changing the water pump. I hadn't used the pump to bleed it then. After that last change out and serious bleed it has been good so far. I will likely change...
  4. S

TDI DIY coolant filter

The little leak I had let air back into the circuit and it ended up clogging the heating core again. I am now just about positive the main problem is if any air gets trapped in the heater core that leads to problems if the car is shut off while in a regen cycle. I believe the v488 heater support...
  5. S

Extream Cold Start & Running observations, Add your comments!

On a cold engine the EA288 definitely burns extra fuel for a little bit of time. Somewhat different then a regen though as the fuel is burned in the cylinders to generate extra heat to warm up the oxidizing catalytic converter and the DPF quicker. On a regen cycle the extra fuel is injected...
  6. S

Cold Air Right Side-Warm air left side

Jumping back to this, I couldn't measure a difference in resistriction between the Nissen and VW cores but that may be due to the way I was testing. When I replaced my core the Nissen wasn't lining up and I was getting frustrated so I put in the VW core. If you do the work yourself I'd suggest...
  7. S

2015 Passat TDI Funky Intermittent Snoring Noise

Is it kind of coming from the center bottom of the car? If so I think that is the J883 Exhaust Door Control Unit which is basically a motor that moves a valve within the exhaust stream to regular EGR pressure. You can see if from below if you look under the car at the exhaust. Shawn
  8. S

What is worn (suspension), wheel shift on brake

Just replaced both lower control arms on a 2015 6 speed at about 83k miles. I used the LCA from IDParts which are made by Spidan. They came with ball joints attached. The car clunked on bumps and turned to the right slightly while braking. I knew the driver side vertical bushing was bad as it...
  9. S

2015 Passat 2.0 - P2237 which sensor?

Without looking at the picture P2237 is for Bank 1, Sensor 1. With a 4 cyclinder it should only have 1 bank of cylinders so Sensor 1 should be the first O2 sensor from the engine. Sensor 2 would be the second O2 sensor downstream from the engine...etc..etc. Shawn
  10. S

Side by side of the Nissens heater core and the VW heater core. The fins are closer together/denser on the VW core, the O.D. of the tubes on the Nissen core are larger. That doesn't automatically mean they are bigger on the inside (for less chance of clogging) but it is encouraging. As best I...
  11. S

The electric heat doesn't operate when the engine is warmed up so if the car is warmed up and you are only getting heat on the driver side either your core is clogged (the inlet/outlet is on the drivers side so the passenger side clogs first) or the blend door on the passenger side is stuck...
  12. S

TDI DIY coolant filter

The Cat filter does fit in a bit better and the 90 degree barbs make it look a bit cleaner.
  13. S

‘Oil change needed! Service Vehicle’ light keeps popping up even though service has been completed on my 2015 Passat TDI?

Check your oil level. If you overfill it will give you a service warning too. Drain a little bit of oil out (or use a topsider) and see if it goes away. Shawn
  14. S

TDI DIY coolant filter

After inspecting this yesterday it was still slightly leaking so I took it apart today. Think it was leaking at the filter seal itself, I probably didn't tighten it down enough. Changed the hose barbs to 3/8 MNPT to 90 degree 5/16" barbs using high temp thread sealant so I need to let that cure...
  15. S

TDI DIY coolant filter

Yes, that is the EA288 cooling system, which is what I have. The problem with most of the clear filters is they aren't really built for pressure or temp as they are typically for fuel lines, at least the locally sources ones I found where. They also had little filtering area, the one I rigged up...
  16. S

TDI DIY coolant filter

It could also mean that one of the valves is normally open under typical running conditions. Pull your return, it is easy to check for flow. Shawn
  17. S

TDI DIY coolant filter

I thought a bit about that. The filter fits in a return to the reservoir, it is a small feed going to the reservoir, literally a 5/16" hose. Only a tiny portion of the coolant would flow through that. It it is really just a small bypass to let a portion of fluid get back to the reservoir and to...
  18. S

TDI DIY coolant filter

Pretty sure it was paper or fiber based. I'm going to change the filter after a couple of hundred miles either with a cat coolant filter or a Napa 4070 coolant filter. I think they will both fit this base. You have the plumbing correct. I pulled the original return hose completely and...
  19. S

TDI DIY coolant filter

Thanks, I'm just hoping to get all the junk out of the system. I'm thinking about changing the filter out at a pretty low mileage and then cutting it open to see what ends up being inside. Couple of little tweaks after a few test drives. The housing comes with a hex key plug installed on the...