Search results

1. K

Trusted TDI Mechanics - By State

You guyz did me such a solid, with Munk's Motors in Waterford/Pontiac, Mich! :) (HI, George!!) Any recos, please for Minneapolis-St. Paul? I've been here since February, and it's time for Mori to get a check up! TIA!
  2. K

Stories when filling up at "gasoline station"

Hurrray - I'm starting to see more (suburban) prices around Chicago below $3.50 - finally! RUG is below $3, so still a difference, but the break for my pocketbook will be appreciated at next fill-up! :)
  3. K

So, what did you use to "take care of the shoes"? :confused:
  4. K

Not a conversation-based post, but I found my first "dropped price" diesel yesterday! :) In the Chi-town suburbs, it's been stuck at the old "50c to a dollar over RUG" price for several weeks. Last night, I pulled into the BP at Rt. 59 and Rt. 64 in West Chicago, and did a happy dance (after...
  5. K

Need brakes - 2006 Jetta in Chicago?

Greetings, fellow Chicagoans! I'm in desperate need of quality brake work for the 2006 Jetta, on the North side of Chicago (I'm at Addison and Central). I've "ostriched" about getting it done (due to Other Serious Life Issues) and now I have draggy, grindy brakes that I certainly don't want...
  6. K

I'm with TornadoRed and tdijarhead: Stop trying to "legislate against human nature"! Between us, we can't even agree on "which color for which fuel" - anybody who's "used to" a different scheme will pitch a fit about a new regulation, and anyway, the whole idea smacks of "government...
  7. K

Depending on the layout of the station, I can snake those ginormous-long truck diesel hoses around to the "other side" of the pump, and fill up blind - since I'm filling up anyway, I don't need to be able to see the numbers. :)
  8. K

"...according to many stories here..." Ahhh - There's the rub! We talk about *so many different engines* - up to 30 years old - and different engines have had Different Specs and Different Requirements (and Different Verboten-by-VW's) over the years. It's vital that you (the reader) be aware...
  9. K

What did you do to your car today?

Take a tip from interior designers: use a spray carpet or upholstery paint to change the color... it's still a limited color selection - but not *as limited*... Let us know how it goes!
  10. K

How to block your front grill with pipe insulation

There's a difference between "blocking the grill" and "blocking the air intake" - the grill-blocker (foam, cardboard, fancy vinyl dealie) only slows down the 70mph+ wind from going directly over the radiator and engine block (notice all the space around the ends of the foam). If you stopped up...
  11. K

How to block your front grill with pipe insulation

~ That seems like overkill. In answer to WWDave211 - Yep! Many, many '06's get this treatment every year. No worries, much warmer toes.
  12. K

Great Audi commercial! I just added my Thumbs Up.
  13. K

'06 Suspension parts: Bilstein & Sachs or Koni's?

Grazie! Grazie! Thanks, everybody, for your thoughts on this! I've got the tires - :)! I got the 5-year alignment from NTB yesterday - :)! and I've got an appt. to get the Sachs/Bilstein combo installed at DubWerks on Tuesday. (Peter - you've gotta sell him on getting parts shipped. I've...
  14. K

Hey, welcome, White10! :) You'll find all kinds of good info (and moral support) here. I was just about to write "Nevermind! See this thread from last month: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=380126 Need Struts and Shocks" Guess I didn't do such a hot job of "search before posting"...
  15. K

Help with parts

...or Upside: easy clean-up, if you're a sloppy spray-painter :rolleyes:
  16. K

Help with parts

Thanks for that tidbit, Ibex! You've partially answered a question I just asked in a new thread re: Suspension parts... ;) I just found this by accident: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/tire-wheel-gearing-calculator.htm Lots of other interesting info there, too.
  17. K

I need new shocks (R) and struts (F), and have been shopping parts prices. I've come to the (inevitable?) Which brand/s are the better choice? and/or worth the few extra bucks? questions... The shop with the excellent labor prices - DubWerks - uses Bilstein and Sachs, and Rich sez they're...
  18. K

Power sockets

tpryor87 - There'll probably never be a "vagcom (computer-based) fix", since this is a mechanical / wiring / fuse problem. :( It seems like the problems are all over the board, too - some folks have one issue, others have the opposite, and nobody's fuse panel quite matches what it says in the...
  19. K

Welcome the new addition

Indeed, Happy New Baby (both kinds :rolleyes:) ! K
  20. K

No Power to drivers door on 06 Jetta-FIX

2bitthugs - did you solder the broken bits or replace the whole thing?