Search results

1. oilhammer

Mating an awd drivetrain with an ALH

Having put probably well over a half million miles collectively on A2 platform Golfs and Jettas, I would have to say I would be scared poopless to go that fast in one. They are actually remarkably stable for a small light(ish) weight car up to about 100, but after that they really get jittery...
  2. oilhammer

Maintaining Speed issue

Overboost is usually sticking VNT mechanism, in some cases it is an N75. If your VNT actuator rusted out or internally came apart, the vacuum system will have sucked debris up into the N75 valve, which can cause it to stick and not bleed the vacuum off quickly enough and cause an overboost.
  3. oilhammer

Balancing Issue

Well stand by the person spinning the wheel/tire on the machine and look for yourself. The wheel is bent or it isn't. Bent wheels, for whatever reason, are VERY common on these... and given your location I am sure the roads are not friendly to them. You still have not answered my original...
  4. oilhammer

2020 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter Van Adds a 4-Cylinder Diesel

I stand corrected, it is the new OM654 diesel. :) The new aluminum block engine.
  5. oilhammer

Balancing Issue

What is your root complaint here? Some places use different types of machines, and some machines are in dire need of recalibration. And some wheels are bent, some tires are not round, so no amount of balancing can fix that.
  6. oilhammer

2000 1.8t 5mt passat potential purchase.

It won't work.
  7. oilhammer

2020 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter Van Adds a 4-Cylinder Diesel

I assume it is the return of the OM651, which we had here in the previous versions 2014-16. I love mine, although we are soon parting ways with it. It has the same tow rating as the V6 of the time (5000 pounds). It tows Golfs and Jettas on a tow dolly quite easily. They were all bolted to...
  8. oilhammer

2.5tdi (five cylinder) with ALH wiring harness and ECU.

Well the ECU most certainly DOES care how many cylinders there are, and I would think if you were sourcing a 2.5L TDI (you didn't say which one, there are a few, and with various injection systems) you'd also be able to get the ECU to make it run. Chances are, if you are talking VE TDIs and...
  9. oilhammer

1.8t turbo downpipe on 1.9 alh

No, it will not. And I don't even need to ask which "1.8t" of the dozen or so engines that would fall into that name, spanning multiple decades and multiple unrelated engine families in multiple unrelated platforms, because it won't matter, none of them are even close to what the ALH uses.
  10. oilhammer

Because the 02M has two final drive ratios (this is not unique, there are other FWD transverse manuals that employ this.... I know Ford has one) Essentially, there is ONE input shaft, and TWO output shafts. Each output shaft drives the ring gear with its own pinion. And each pinion has its...
  11. oilhammer

2000 1.8t 5mt passat potential purchase.

Those are two different engines. Check the engine code. It is on the upper timing cover (although likely not legible), etched into the ear at the top of the head near the cam sensor, or on the build tag in the trunk (I know one is burnt). 1998 and 1999 model year Passat's use the AEB engine...
  12. oilhammer

Head disassembly help

I would buy a set of XZN bits, but the common sizes are 6, 8, 10, and 12. You can leave the tandem pump attached to the head if you want, really doesn't matter. Most of them would have had the pump on with Allens, not XZNs, but some of the late BRMs did use XZN, and the replacement bolts are...
  13. oilhammer

Looking for a better operating temp answer

You have no problem, stop looking for a solution. You actually want the engine to operate above the boiling point of water, so any and all water (which gets normally formed whenever hydrocarbons are burned via oxygen, because science) gets kept in gas form and taken out via the crankcase...
  14. oilhammer

Looks like the VW ID.4 is popular

The '98 New Beetle sold a lot more, a lot faster. We literally had people fighting over them, LOL.
  15. oilhammer

automatic transmission interchange

Nope. The shift points and lockup strategy is all wrong. And I only know you cannot mix 'n match the 5HP transmissions and TCMs because I looked into it, and experimented. I was looking to put a BHW into my AWM 4Mo wagon, which had (and still does) a fully functional and working well...
  16. oilhammer

automatic transmission interchange

It will not work. As soon as you go to drive, the TCM will see the wrong ratios and put the trans into limp mode. It needs to be a GMR.
  17. oilhammer

Well yeah, you'd need a diesel specific gearing if you want to get that far into the illegal side of the speedometer. And once again, as I stated above, AWD+ALH cars left the factory and were sold in Europe (more common in the northern areas).
  18. oilhammer

Glow plug control module part # help

That will not cause your car to not crank or start. Again, I ask, is this FOR SURE a Jetta TDI with the AHU engine?
  19. oilhammer

Outside the car or inside the car? This IS a TDI, correct, not a turbodiesel? You are in Alaska, and while they did not sell the AAZ turbodiesel in the US, they did sell them in Canada, and some have found their way here, and presumably even more likely there.
  20. oilhammer

The AHU's glow control module (relay) is 038-911-253 but I have a feeling that is not what you are talking about. Most VAG parts have part numbers on them (if you can still read it). Maybe post a picture.