Search results

1. S

How to replace your MkIV's front wheel bearings

Oh, I'm no expert here. Yes, I meant the driveshafts. Just figured I'd do them while I was in there, but I'm having second thoughts about it given I don't really have any of the associated wear symptoms yet and also given the price of new (good quality) axles. Unless you are actually seeing...
  2. S

How to replace your MkIV's front wheel bearings

I'm hitting 200k miles and wanted to replace my axles as well as the wheel bearings since I'm getting the WUBWUBWUB during high speed turns. If I'm taking off the axles, is there any need to mark and remove the steering knuckles and swing them away? Can I just remove the axles from the...
  3. S

Power Improvements on ALH w/ Malone Stage 3

I'll keep messing with it till it's perfect. Thanks a lot for your help, everyone. I've still got the stock MAP sensor. If I get everything dialed in perfectly and I'm still not satisfied, I'll think about going to 3bar + next stage tune :D
  4. S

Sorry for taking forever on an update. I've been without a laptop and now that I've finally got one to do logging and stuff I was able to get some positive results. I re-did my turbo outlet piping because it was really bad. I got the VNT17 adapter and cut the old house to fit and it's much...
  5. S

This makes sense, the injector nozzles I ordered claim an increase of +20HP and +40TQ, meaning the tune would 'only' give around +35-40TQ or so (plus all the other benefits like MPG). Still, based on the feedback from others who got the tune I was expecting a larger difference. My MAF and N75...
  6. S

Compared to the first engine that died from a bad turbo, it's definitely faster, but that engine had bad performance and was lucky to hit 39mpg all highway before it died so I'm not sure it's a fair comparison. Because of that I don't really have a good comparison to a totally stock engine...
  7. S

I finally got around to installing the tune I've prepped my car for today, and I'm somewhat disappointed with the results. I have DLC 1019 injectors, a VNT17 turbo, Southbend Stage 2 daily clutch, 10mm injection pump. When I initially installed the tune, I thought it was maybe a little bit...
  8. S

Innacurate Odometer, but accurate Speedometer?

Finally got the TDI Cluster in. Did a speed test before reprogramming the Cluster Coding for speed, and as I suspected it was reading very low. It was reading around 30MPH at 35MPH. I corrected the coding in VCDS as shown here, and while it may need some more tweaking it's pretty accurate now...
  9. S

I did this too - the odometer would consistently roll up by about .85 to .9 miles between each mile marker. I think this might be the one... Based on the fact that the gauge cluster does not match the signal coming to the tachometer with its actual labeling (thus reading 1100RPM at idle) it...
  10. S

Alright, I have some data. Each drive I took I compared to the same route on Google Maps. Here's a few trips: Trip 1 Google Maps: 5.8 Miles Odometer: 4.9 Miles 84.5% of actual Trip 2: Google Maps: 18.8 Miles Odometer: 16 Miles 85.1% of actual...
  11. S

And also for a little more information: the gauge cluster got swapped to a 7k redline, 160mph cluster. The tachometer always reads higher than actual (Needle sits at 1100RPM at idle), but the speedometer reads pretty accurately. (Anyone in Seattle have a TDI cluster I can buy...? I need to rent...
  12. S

I have the stock steelies with the stock tire size (195/65/15). I'll do some more testing with GPS indicated speeds, but whenever I pull it out it's reasonably accurate, reading no more than 2 or 3 MPH above or below what my speedometer indicates at 65 MPH. That much of a difference shouldn't...
  13. S

Hey guys. This last weekend I drove to and from Portland, and noticed something I hadn't seen before with my (relatively) shorter trips. The first thing I noticed is that my odometer trip reading was far off from what I was expecting. My Google Maps trip length was 167 miles, but my odometer...
  14. S

Timing Belt Observations: paranoia, or cause for concern?

Here's what I used: http://www.tunemyeuro.com/alh-timing-belt-tool-rental/ Just order it like it's any other part and when you send it back they'll refund 240 of the 280. Keep in mind, depending on how you ship it back you might need to spend another 10-20 bucks or so to ship it back to them. It...
  15. S

Timing Belt Observations: paranoia, or cause for concern?

Hi again TDI club, I've got about 1000 miles on my new (to me) ALH engine and although it's running very well I'm still not 100% confident in my timing belt job. I used the complete timing belt kit from idParts, and I followed directions absolutely to the letter along with a rented timing belt...
  16. S

Problems fitting BEW hose to VNT17 on ALH

I messaged IDParts and they said it looks good to them, so I'm continuing with their vote of confidence but also preparing to buy the adapter just in case. In other news, I started my car for the first time since getting the new engine in, and nothing's blown up (so far) so I'm pretty happy...
  17. S

I agree, next time I'll be using the more proven methods instead of a parts description on an online store (IDParts says this hose works all over their store and blog, which makes me think I'm just being a dummy).
  18. S

Full disclosure: I also posted this issue in the MKIV section. Feel free to move/delete either thread. I'm posting here as well hoping more people in the performance enhancements section have done this. I'm very nearly done getting my new engine and turbo running in the car, but I've got a bit...
  19. S

Dutch Auto Parts, gearbox sets, engines, turbos, injection pumps

Just received my new (to me) ALH long block and brand new Garrett VNT17 turbo. Thank you Frans! Can't wait to get it running.
  20. S

Post-Runaway Compression and Diagnosis on ALH

Got the head off last night, doesn't look too good. Could just be a trick of the eye, but Cylinder 2 looks visibly recessed. I'll need some more time to get better measurements, I'm still getting used to the dial indicator, but suffice to say I could not get a reading with cylinder 2 sitting...