Search results

1. Phi1osopher

2012 Jetta Sportwagen 6speed - talk me out of buying it!

DPF what's that? :unsure: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Yes, I guess so. delete delete delete!!
  2. Phi1osopher

2012 Jetta Sportwagen 6speed - talk me out of buying it!

Hello. I have a '96 TDI B4V Passat 5-speed wagon that I love, but it's old and wearing me out with some ongoing old-car issues. I have my eye on a 2012 (no DEF) 6-speed TDI Jetta Sportwagen. It's about $11k, 100k miles, meticulously dealer maintained, looks like new, and I even I spoke with the...
  3. Phi1osopher

I successfully lifted my B4V Passat about 3"

Steve, I am revisiting these comments about 2 years later, and you were 100% right! You accurately described the ongoing issues I have experienced. Thank you for your good thoughts!
  4. Phi1osopher

98 TDI Build

I just want to chime it, having just replaced my timing belt, that you really really really will want to have the alignment tools for reassembly. In the very least a correct pin for the injection pump, a cam locking tool, and something to hold the pulleys in place to torque all the things. I...
  5. Phi1osopher

Finished timing belt, here's how to use VCDS to fine tune the injection pump timing

Thanks all for the help. Once I figured out what I was supposed to do with VCDS/Vag-Com I shot a quick video explaining how to use it to fine tune the ignition pump timing after a timing belt. Tulbirt has never run better. This link also helped...
  6. Phi1osopher

Help - what's that ticking sound?!

I honestly did not do a lot of diagnostic inspection before making the decision to buy my cam and lifters. There were several factors: I have been a mechanic a long time and it just seemed likely to be the problem, I am in a moment in my life where I had some extra $$, I was about to do a...
  7. Phi1osopher

97 passat tdi 1z - catalytic stolen - delete kit?

Mine did not come with the gasket. Mine also came with extra exhaust mounts that are not used on my B4V, and I was planning on cutting them off when they arrived. However, they were not in the way when I installed the down pipe, which was a perfect fit, 100%, so I just left them there. Who...
  8. Phi1osopher

Help - what's that ticking sound?!

This (eBay LINK) is the Cam and lifter kit I bought. OEM and about $180 shipped with Tax. It probably could be replaced in a few hours, maybe faster if you used clamps on the timing belt to make sure it doesn't slip while doing the job. I had similar ticking and clicking to yours, and replacing...
  9. Phi1osopher

The "What did you do to your B4 today" thread...

Yes. Mine sounded very much like that.
  10. Phi1osopher

Because I had a tapping sound, and I suspected the cam might need to be replaced too. There also was excessive smoke that couldn't be tuned away. While shopping for tappets I found a great deal for cam + tappets for about $150 and decided to just give it a shot. Turns out the cam loves were...
  11. Phi1osopher

Finished timing belt, here's how to use VCDS to fine tune the injection pump timing

I observed I let the car idle for quite a while with the boost line disconnected. Today I just let it idle for 20 - 30 min while trying to figure out my VCDS, without changing anything, ran out of time, un ugged everything (without making any changes), and drove off to discover the car was...
  12. Phi1osopher

YAY!! finally knocked out the timing Belt, drive belts, front engine seals, harmonic balancer, water pump, camshaft, and lifters! An afternoon job, and I am so glad I finally did it.
  13. Phi1osopher

Can you share a link to the pully you bought? I need to do this on mine too!
  14. Phi1osopher

Edit: link to timing belt replacement info: https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php?threads/finished-timing-belt-heres-how-to-use-vcds-to-fine-tune-the-injection-pump-timing.524291/post-5755311 Yesterday evening, on Tulbirt my '96 Passat TDI wagon, I did a timing belt, water pump, front engine...
  15. Phi1osopher

97 passat tdi 1z - catalytic stolen - delete kit?

I bought this 2.5" down pipe from Darkside, and it fits my B4V perfectly. No CAT. https://www.darksidedevelopments.co.uk/products/darkside-2-5-stainless-de-cat-downpipe-vw-caddy-mk2-golf-mk2-mk3-with-wastegate-turbo.html
  16. Phi1osopher

b4 brakes upgrade

I replaced and upgraded the brakes on my 96 B4 wagon around May 2021 @ approx 98,000 miles. Front brakes are upgraded to a slightly larger 280mm rotor setup from a 1992 Corrado G60. Rear brakes are stock sized, but with fresh drilled & slotted rotors and 'green' pads. Rotors are all 4-lug. I...
  17. Phi1osopher

I did keep it, but the bearings went bad, which is why it initially failed. I like the idea and might try something like that if it fails again. Also, Todd, that AC o-ring chart is Killer! I hope I can find it again when I need it... I actually love doing AC work, but hate doing it twice!
  18. Phi1osopher

Lifting MK III Suspension for Rallying or Offroad

Almost two years ago I lifted my B4 wagon about 3" and have been 100% happy with it. https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php?threads/i-successfully-lifted-my-b4v-passat-about-3.508930
  19. Phi1osopher

Which is the Fuel Filter without the "T" recirculation?

Thanks all! I ordered a Bosche 74003 filter that appears to be about the same as my stock one, but without the "T", and will let you know how it fits/ functions.
  20. Phi1osopher

Which is the Fuel Filter without the "T" recirculation?

I saw a post here the other day, but now I can't seem to find it again that offered a part number for an OEM style fuel filter without the "T" for the return line recirculation. I am slowly pulling my hair out trying to chase down some sort of performance issue, and I keep seeing bubbles in my...