Search results

1. Gothmolly

recommend a thread chaser for wheel nuts?

Thanks, I might not sweat the difference between a chaser and a tap.
  2. Gothmolly

Do you think new bolts would cut/clean the rust and crap out of the threads?
  3. Gothmolly

My wheels are getting harder and harder to take off (1 is completely stuck, waiting for warmer weather and a 6' breaker bar), I was going to clean out the rusty threads. So many online descriptions call it a chaser/tap, or are clearly chinesium. Anyone had luck cleaning these up, and what...
  4. Gothmolly

What did you do to your MKIV today?

How bad was that job?
  5. Gothmolly

2003 Jetta TDI ALH Starter Bust

It's a 20 year old part. Replace.
  6. Gothmolly

mk4 jetta hoodstack help

Was there more you meant to post? It just trailed off at the end.
  7. Gothmolly

Limp mode

I think limp is most often under/overboost. Check vac lines to turbo, and also check that the turbo actuator moves freely.
  8. Gothmolly

high rpm / no load boost?

Just realized there were other, hidden people in this thread. Makes more sense now!
  9. Gothmolly

Rusty Rocker Repair/Replacement - What did you pay?

I think I paid a local father and son shop about $200 to cut off the rust and weld on a new shaped piece of metal. Then I painted it and drilled it so I could reattach the fender. Eastern Connecticut.
  10. Gothmolly

Thanks. Might have some stuck vanes.
  11. Gothmolly

So what psi is your turbo running at in this scenario?
  12. Gothmolly

I imagine so. I have a gauge mounted on the steering column.
  13. Gothmolly

Can anyone with an ALH with a boost gauge, tell me what your boost level is at highway speeds if you take your foot off the pedal? If so, can you also say if your car is chipped/modified? On the highway at 70 or so, if I take my foot off the pedal and let the car coast in gear, I still get...
  14. Gothmolly

boost levels during compression braking

ok thanks - whats your highway speed/no-throttle boost level?
  15. Gothmolly

I must be missing something. Are you saying I have a boost leak?
  16. Gothmolly

Can anyone with a modded ALH, with a boost gauge, tell me what their no-throttle boost levels are on the highway? Say you're driving along at 70 mph, and take your foot off the pedal - what's your boost levels when the car is driving the motor? I'm at about 4psi, wondering if that's common.
  17. Gothmolly

Manual Transmission Fluid

Says the mechanic, with tools, a place to work, and experience. Meanwhile the old Golf's running fine at 250K+ miles. There's parts to worry about, and then there's vanity parts. I just looked up a youtube video on how to do it, and on an old car that looks like a disaster waiting to happen.
  18. Gothmolly

Then I am jealous of your free time. 256k miles on it, car drives ok. It was an honest question.
  19. Gothmolly

Thanks, thats what I thought - never understood these numerous posts about it.
  20. Gothmolly

How do you know when you need to do this?