Search results

1. D

bumper sticker favorites

in miataforum.com there was thread discussing how GM can and does use on-star to disable and repo cars. :eek:
  2. D

bumper sticker favorites

We're not as smart as we think We Need God God doesn't believe in atheists
  3. D

bumper sticker favorites

8th grade social studies my teacher taught us that political philsophy is a 'circle' and spent a week showing that as you get further right and futher left ultimately they run into each other and become identical at the extreme. truth is religion has little to do with faith, politics are a...
  4. D

basic question- emissions calculation

Thanks - I used both links and read thru the stuff and found this defination: "The emissions from each phase are collected in a separate teflon bag, analyzed and expressed in g/mile (g/km). The weighting factors are 0.43 for the cold start, 1.0 for the transient phase and 0.57 for the hot start...
  5. D

PDJ - thanks,,, I went there and searched for over an hour but it was as I suspected, there is so much detail and their search engine so funky I couldn't find the answer to my question. I do tax research and the IRS site is the same way. I knew the EPA would have a site... I suspected it...
  6. D

simply asked: How does the EPA do their testing? Is it for each gallon burned, each mile driven... I'm wondering if a hummer creates more pollution than a TDI per mile driven? thanks
  7. D

bumper sticker favorites

the only thing sadder than a young conservative is an old liberal
  8. D

Finally, Competition for VW!

best cost/reliability/fun vehicle: miata not the best highway cruiser, or grocery getter... but fun, inexpensive, no headaches: yep ... fer sure John
  9. D

07 Accord Diesel

Possibly so.... This thread from the miataforum references an article and carries a discussion that Honda has plans to that effect. http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=184183 I sure hope it is accurate. John
  10. D

VW move to Common Rail

Honda? This thread from the miataforum references an article and carries a discussion that Honda has plans to that effect. http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=184183 I sure hope it is accurate. John
  11. D

Businessweek Pro-Diesel article

Mike makes a good point. I have a 10% rule. Don't go > 10% over the speed limit without reason to do so. Gave it to my sons [3 all now grown and living on their own] when they were teens living with me and told them I'd 'fix' any tickets that were within the 10% rule free of charge. Gave...
  12. D

The reality is... you can't legislate morality. Let the market place regulate rather than legislature. I for one would rather spend a bit more on fuel and enjoy my drive [whether in my Miata or my TDI [still obtaining better than average fuel consumption]] and look at the 'loss' as a...
  13. D

Presidents don't pass laws nor do they create budgets. CONGRESS does. Stop blaming ALL presidents. The problem isn't Congress either. It is us vis a' vis: A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves...
  14. D

Most reliable, easy to service car (on the cheap)?

I didn't read thru all 4 pages of posts and have seen the for sale thread in TDIs for sale. If $1k is your limit and knowing your age I'd recommend a 89-91 miata [or civic/corolla]. $1k is a tough hurdle. I think I'd more likely recommend a motorized scooter of some kind, use it to get a...
  15. D

Hold on to your TDI...at least until June.

actually that would be 17% over a 2 month period or 102% per annum :eek: not a bad return John
  16. D

2006 Diesel Tax Credit review

No tune ups for 100k. Oil change intervals are much longer than 3k. No timing belt to change [that alone would make any routine maintenance for the TDI to be greater than the Mz3]. No, if I don't ignore maintenance then the TDI looks worse. John
  17. D

Why TDIs got Trumped by the World's Fastest Car

ahhhh... squeeze me.... baking power.... I TOO am a diesel driver... not because driving a diesel 'defines' me but because diesels do what I need them to do. re; your quantitative analysis... you obviously missed my threads in auto classifieds and in the tax credit thread. A current Jetta...
  18. D

Why TDIs got Trumped by the World's Fastest Car

Hmmmm... OH silly me... we all know of VWs stellar service and.... here all this time I thought VW was selling transportation. I guess if I want transportation... I need to go to a company that does that. I don't need a product to define my lifestyle. I define the product BY and HOW I...
  19. D

2006 Diesel Tax Credit review

well YAAA... but the short-coming in this line of thinking is trying to apply common sense in an arena that obviously requires Bureaucratic thinking. Something simple like taxing weight and/or high taxes of a per gallon basis just won't work - don't you see????? John