Search results

1. Marinel

Starter is getting weak. Rebuild or replace?

I got the rebuild kit from @Mozambiquer and rebuilt it tonight. It made a huge difference. Starts at the flick of the key now and my starting issues have been resolved. It starts super quick when the engine is hot now. I highly recommend going this route rather than buying a new one. It took me...
  2. Marinel

Starter is getting weak. Rebuild or replace?

My BRM 5 speed jetta has been cranking slow especially when the engine is hot. Sometimes it spins over quick but other times it struggles. The battery is only a few months old and all connections are tight and corrosion free. I'm fairly certain my starter is weak since I'm at 182k miles and it...
  3. Marinel

Who have more than 250,000 miles on 06 jetta tdi?

Hondas are reliabe and all and they are great cars for what they are. When my last BRM jetta was totaled I drove a honda accord for a while but it wasnt nearly as nice as a vw. It felt like a boat and there was nothing exciting about it. It had super vague road feel and was pretty uncomfortable...
  4. Marinel

Who have more than 250,000 miles on 06 jetta tdi?

My last brm 5 speed jetta went to 288k miles when it was totaled due to an accident. It was a great car. I went through two clutches, one transmission 2 inner cv joints, timing sets every 80k, and lots of oil changes and tires, egr delete. Everything else was original.
  5. Marinel

Gqq 5 speed transmission inspection

I think its hit or miss. My last brm 5 speed jetta had catastrophic failure from the transmission just out of the blue at 272k miles and it put a hole in the bell housing. If you're gonna go though all that effort at least do some upgrades while you're there. From my experience a 5 speed mated...
  6. Marinel

Replacement key part number

I picked up my recent mkv jetta and it only has a single key without a keyless remote. I've been looking online for a replacement fob so I can have a local locksmith program it since I figured it would be the cheapest option. When doing research I found that there is more than one part number...
  7. Marinel

The transmission on my last 06 jetta failed at around 270k miles. I wasn't always nice to it but it just let go one day out of the blue. It wasn't driving weird and wasn't making any weird noises before failure. It left a huge hole in the bell housing.
  8. Marinel

Can you elaborate a little more on this? I've split the case on honda and mitsubishi transmissions but never done a vw. I'm sure its not much different. I picked up a 5 speed from a BRM jetta today for 200 bucks. The only thing is that the code for it is JCR not GQQ. I couldn't see any...
  9. Marinel

Hello everyone its been a while since I've been on here. My 2006 jetta that I had for over a decade was totaled a few years ago. The same thing happened to my wifes 06 jetta not even a year later so I haven't had a TDI for a while. I picked up another 06 5 speed TDI last night with a bad...
  10. Marinel

New Jetta, new problems

Update #2: Problem solved! A new battery seemed to help but the issue was still present. The other day the car was parked facing uphill for close to 48 hours. It turned over but didnt start. It took close to 20 seconds of cranking before the engine came to life. The two small sections of hose...
  11. Marinel

Brm Toyota swap, g28 problems

You need a special tool to install the crank sensor on a BRM.
  12. Marinel

Atlanta Injector POP Testing

I have an OTC brand pop tester laying around that is missing the adapters. Make me an offer if you're interested.
  13. Marinel

New Jetta, new problems

Update: I never got around to replacing the starter but the battery died after the wife left the running lights on for about an hour or so. I recharged the battery but it would not hold a charge so I got a replacement. Now the starting issues are 95% better but the starter may still get replaced...
  14. Marinel

New Jetta, new problems

Thank you for the input. I was thinking the same thing since I just installed a cam in it also. Its a new car to me and thought it had some fuel or electrical issue. But I'm glad that its only a bad starter and nothing else. My 5 speed brm tdi has been mostly trouble free since ive owned it...
  15. Marinel

New Jetta, new problems

I didn't see the bit about the core. Well I guess that's not too bad for a oem starter. Are dsg starters prone to failure? My original 5 speed jetta starter is still going strong at 287k miles. Sent from my SM-J727T1 using Tapatalk
  16. Marinel

New Jetta, new problems

Thanks for your input. I did notice that it does turn over slightly slower than my 5 speed jetta does. Is there a starter reconditioning kit available for these by any chance? Sent from my SM-J727T1 using Tapatalk
  17. Marinel

New Jetta, new problems

I recently acquired another 06 jetta TDI with DSG a couple weeks ago with a bad cam. The DMF is a little noisy but will be taken care of in the near future. I originally bought it as a project and was planning on selling it but the wife ended up really liking the car so it looks like its a...
  18. Marinel

Dutch Auto Parts, gearbox sets, engines, turbos, injection pumps

I got a GQQ transmission from them for my mkv tdi and it works great. Ive had it in the car for about a year now and no issues. Response time isnt the quickest but its worth the wait.
  19. Marinel

[COLOR="Blue"]thumping noise HELp!![/COLOR]

Check your cv axle bolts on the transmission. It could also be your brakes dragging or you might have a slightly stuck caliper.
  20. Marinel

Strong vibration when accelerating hard at freeway speeds

Definitely cv axles. Cheap aftermarket axles will vibrate no matter what. I made that mistake once and that aftermarket axle was in the scap metal pile in less than two weeks. I would start with the inner CV joints. CV axles will wear out quicker if your car is lowered.