Search results

1. O

30A fuse for fans blowing after replacing fuse box and alternator cable

Thank you for writing this, Genesis! I think that this thread in general, and your input specifically, will prove quite useful to others in the future. Your explanation makes total sense and I likely would not have come to that conclusion on my own!
  2. O

Yeah, little about this made sense. The fuse blowing very well could occur at any time, I guess, but so far, it's stable.
  3. O

Thought I'd check in and give an update to this fuse blowing issue: It's been a few weeks now since swapping out both fans with the cheap-o Dorman's ($150 -- lifetime warranty) and I've had no problems with the fuse blowing since. The take-home message for me on this is that if you've got a...
  4. O

Yeah, when I first tested out the new fans (blower on/AC on/key on/engine off) they seemed just a little bit slower than the previous ones were on low. At least they were a smidge quieter. I think my previous fans were like, slow-and-a-half on slow... Those are going quite slow on your video...
  5. O

An update: I replaced both fans today. They work (so far!) and the AC is working as well. We'll see, over the next few days, if the fuse blowing is resolved. I'm feeling optimistic! Because I don't have room to remove the entire frame plate with the two fans mounted to it, I have to remove...
  6. O

Can't believe that there is such failure variability.
  7. O

Yep. I changed both last time. Saved the frame just in case. Now, I'll have the beginnings of a fan frame collection! But I have a bypass oil filter setup and a frost heater -- both of which make the swap a lot tighter! But doable -- I've done it before. When you say your Dorman crapped...
  8. O

HA! I was just looking at that. There's another one made by Four Seasons (undoubtedly another Chinese manufacturer) linked from that page you posted that is $195 with 20% off. So about the same price but has to be shipped in. Sold under Carquest Premium branding. Also lifetime limited...
  9. O

Gotcha. I think given that it isn't a sure thing that a replacement is going to address the fuse blowing issue, I probably ought to go with the lower end. I also like the idea of being able to return it. I'll also call IDParts tomorrow and get their opinion on durability/returns for the...
  10. O

Do you mean "yes" to both questions: fans crapping out AND the ability to blow the fuse? Yeah, I used a clamp on and just read the blip of the highest start amperage on startup. But it was consistent over several readings. I hear you on the belly plate -- I've got the A4 Defender on mine and...
  11. O

I have the data and it appears to support your idea that the fans are "borked" or on their way there. First, the resistance as measured between T1 and T2 of each fan at their power plug (fan wire): - Small fan: Between 0.2 and 0.3 ohms - Large fan: Between 0.3 and 0.4 ohms Second, the...
  12. O

Thank you so much, Genesis. I will study this and then conduct those measurements. It appears to be more complex than common sense might suggest at first look! Your explanation is superb and really very very much appreciated!
  13. O

Yeah, so I just checked again: -both fans run fine on low with AC on and cabin blower on -both fans run on high with key on/AC off when jumped at thermo switch plug -both fans run on low only when directly powered at each pin individually Is high speed occurring at just one of the pins or are...
  14. O

So should I be able to directly power the plug at the fan and get markedly different fan speeds at each of the two pins at each fan? If yes, can you elaborate on the observation that I can get high speed by jumping at the thermo switch and that I get low speed at the fans when AC is on (or...
  15. O

Okay, I tested each fan's resistance with an ohm meter at both power pins. I did the tests very slowly - painfully slowly - such that the meter would stabilize after minute rotations. We're talking like 10 minutes to observe one rotation of the fan. Each fan had around 0.6 - 1.0 ohms...
  16. O

That's a good idea. I just wonder about those as well in that there a lot of old Mk4 cars that are/were running around with burnt out fans!
  17. O

Yeah, it seems that a variety of internal fan issues end up being the primary reason there are problems on that circuit on these cars. I think the fans are more likely than some worn wire that I cannot find in otherwise new-looking wire bundles. I put these fans in two years ago and perhaps...
  18. O

Don't get me started on the boat electrics...I had an entire 400ah AGM battery bank melt down in a runaway this sprig -- 4 60lb batteries welded into a solid mass that I had to chisel apart prior to reconstructing the entire house and starting battery system. I'm lucky the boat didn't burn...
  19. O

Okay, that's great Genesis -- I will do that tomorrow. Do you know off hand which pin is the high speed and which is the low? I was making an assumption that the higher amp draw was the low speed. I call pin 1 the ground. I could swear that when I powered both fans today both spun at the...
  20. O

Yes, I did that tear everything apart and look for chafe in the process of doing it again. Battery and tray removed. All of the harnesses look good upon tedious examination. Most look newish. This is a NW vehicle that has been garaged its whole life. I also connect to each wire and look...