Search results

1. P

Engine vibration at idle

The Golf starts and runs fine, except at idle, and then there's a lot of vibration. Replaced the engine mounts as they were getting tired, and it got a little worse. Dug out my ISO-COM and VCDS and set the IQ to 4. I'd set it to 2.4 10 years ago for reasons forgotten. No help. The thing...
  2. P

nytimes - The cost of higher fuel economy

The New York Times had an article today citing that apart from the Prius and Jetta TDI, the cost of higher economy options generally do not return their investment in the typical life of a car, assuming $4/gallon fuel prices. The included chart lists the Jetta TDI as having the fastest payback...
  3. P

Help! Captive nut on forward LCA bolt is loose.

Replaced the LCAs, and when installing the front bolt on the LCA, I knocked the captive nut out and now it floating around in the sub-frame. The sub-frame looks pretty impossible for me to remove. What next?
  4. P

Nanparticles in diesel emission cause heart disease

I'm kind of surprised at the reception that threads like this receive from moderators. I would have posted this to the Oxford_Guy thread of the same title but its locked down. We're a large group of people that own diesels. Wouldn't seeing and evaluating research like this be in our own...
  5. P

Endless 10 mph door lock

Our Passat locks the doors as soon it crosses above 10 mph. That would be normal if it happened once a trip. What's strange is it does this every time it goes above 10 mph, so in a parking lot the rear door locks are repeatedly clicking each time the car slows and speeds up. Same thing...
  6. P

Is the fuel pump covered in the Powertrain Warranty?

I see the injection system& fuel system listed in the emissions warranty, but only under 2 year, 24k miles. The powertain warranty lists engine, transmission and drivetrain, but under engine, its limited to cylinder block and all internal parts, cylinder head, valve train, spur belt, flywheel...
  7. P

Edmunds Comparison Test: 2011 JSW vs 2012 Prius V

http://www.insideline.com/volkswagen/jetta/2011/comparison-test-2012-toyota-prius-v-three-vs-2011-volkswagen-jetta-sportwagen-tdi.html Better mileage numbers for the Prius V, but overall "So as this rivalry goes, score another round for the diesel."
  8. P

Is Bik.e comming to a TDI near you?

http://www.gizmag.com/volkswagen-folding-bike-concept/14949/ The concept of “last few mile mobility” is one which we'll all grow accustomed to over the next decade as the world's cities become more congested and non-polluting micro mobility concepts begin to supplement other forms of...
  9. P

Timing belt & Alternator $2100 by dealer on Long Island. Any options?

Help - Timing belt & Alternator $2100 by dealer on Long Island. Any options? Hi Fellow TDIers. Over the break, my alternator pulley disintegrated, and partially melted the timing belt along the way. The timing belt is still working, but I need a complete timing belt job and a new...
  10. P

Replaced faulty EGR valve, mileage up 8 mpg!!

My mileage had been dropping since autumn. It held steady at 44 mpg, down from 46, for a couple months, then dropped to 42 for 3 tanks, finally 41 for 3 more. By this time my ECU had begun throwing an "EGR excessive flow" fault code, which basically means the EGR valve is not working and no...
  11. P

Nano-sized Ultrafine Particles may contribute to Heart Disease

from GreenCarCongress.com. Its only one study, but still, I wonder if the new particulate filters will address particles this size. Study Suggests Unregulated Nano-sized Ultrafine Particles May Be Most Damaging Component of Air Pollution for Heart Disease 18 January 2008...
  12. P

Counterfeit MAF?

I received a new Bosch TDI MAF from a very big on-line VW/Audi parts supplier. The Bosch anti-counterfeiting laser seal was broken, and the box was taped shut with scotch tape. The wax paper looked extra crumpled, like it had held two parts, not one, in its life. The part looked new, but...
  13. P

Ash at bottom of oil filter.

Last weekend I changed the oil very hot through the top (thanks to a metal vacum can from Harbor Freight, and a home made probe for the dipstick) and I remember that even though the oil was super thin, because it was hot, the oil remnants below the oil filter were goopy and thicker. The last...
  14. P

Honda Patents Plasma Technology to Clean Diesel Fumes

Has this been posted already? Honda Patents Plasma Technology to Clean Diesel Fumes . . . In Honda's treatment system, exhaust flows through a plasma reactor, or gaseous layer of electrically charged atoms, according to a U.S. patent obtained by Bloomberg News. That separates...
  15. P

Microreactor for distributed production of Biodiesel

Microreactor for distributed production of Biodiesel 21 February 2006 The microreactor. Click to enlarge. Chemical engineering researchers at Oregon State University have developed a microreactor for biodiesel production that promises to be efficient, fast and portable, and are...
  16. P

Getting to the Golf hatch lock

Somethings wrong with the trunk lock on my 2002 Golf. Can anyone tell me how to get the interior plastic trim panel off the hatch? I heard that there are (6?) clips running vertically down the sides of the trim panel. Does that sound right? How do I "unclicp" them? Do I slide something flat...
  17. P

Best compound to prevent bolt corrosion?

Any recommendations for a compound that can be used on bolt threads to prevent corrosion? Especially electrolytic corrosion that occurs when the bolt is a different type of metal from the part its connecting to (steel bolt, aluminum part, etc.). Anything at Walmart or Autozone? I heard the...
  18. P

CV Show: technology improves diesel economy

From March 23-25 news at the commercial vehicle show: http://www.cvshow.com/ <font color="green"> Nanocatalyst cuts fuel by 10 per cent Cerulean International on stand 8-210 at the CV Show says its new nanocatalyst technology for diesel fuels, called Envirox , will cut fuel consumption by...
  19. P

BMW Gummi Phlege report (for frozen doors)

Saw a post a month back from people with doors frozen shut. Went to my local BMW dealer and bought the recommended tube of rubber treatment (Gummi Phlege, $8) and treated all the doors, hatch and hood, except for the passenger side, rear door. Completely forgot about it till last Friday night...
  20. P

Isuzu Gasoline Direct Injection

First afforable GDI in the US. http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/031107/laf008_1.html Not sure if I read it right, but it looks like they run normal mixture levels (not lean) in order to reduce NOX emmisions. There's still some efficiency gains, though, and power output improves. Do GDI engines...