Search results

1. R

Front end Grinding noise

It was the outer CV joint. I pulled the boot back and it was very dry and gritty inside. New was was fairly inexpensive and went on easily enough.
  2. R

Front end Grinding noise

Well, got it all back together and the noise persists. As of right now my new diagnosis is a bad CV joint on the driver side. I'll be taking it to a shop to confirm this before I throw more parts at the thing, but with all the suspension checked over, I am convinced that the noise is not related...
  3. R

Does Diesel Purge go off?

Okay, thanks for the help everyone. It's for an ALH, so I guess it will go through no worries. Even still I'll wait until I fill up next to dilute it down.
  4. R

Front end Grinding noise

Disassembled the driver side, the top mount is about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch shorter then the new one, and the bearing was rusted to hell. The one surprise was the bumpstop beng wrecked, so I've ordered a new set and will reassemble everything once they arrive. One potential future issue I can...
  5. R

Front end Grinding noise

So I put the car up today. Both springs, while rusty, look intact and unbroken. The dust shields are both clear of the rotors, and I don't think they would make such a bad noise anyways. Any other ideas before I replace the top mounts and bearings and call it a day?
  6. R

Ontario Karma thread

Also came across two stock alloy wheels for a mk4 with old snow tires on them. And a complete front rad support with a radiator and fans installed. Adding them to the list for free as well.
  7. R

Front end Grinding noise

Okay I'll check for that before I go all out removing the strut assemly. Thanks
  8. R

Front end Grinding noise

Good Day all. My 2000 jetta has started making an awful grinding noise on low speed turns. I bought new front strut mounts and bearings, but before I take it all apart is there any other component which could be the culprit? The noise doesn't really happen when I am stopped and turning the...
  9. R

Does Diesel Purge go off?

Came home for christmas and found an old can of Liqui-Moli Diesel Purge (about 6 years old). Does this stuff go off like olf gas and diesel left in cans? It's still sealed if that helps, just need a second opinion.
  10. R

Ontario Karma thread

-Full set of calipers with rear brackets -No -Yes Anything is fine
  11. R

Ontario Karma thread

Haven't yellowed too badly, could do with once over.
  12. R

Ontario Karma thread

I'm at my parents house in Markham. Sorry the location info is a bit off.
  13. R

Potential starter issue

Ended up being a seized alternator which dragged the serpentine belt and overloaded the starter. No biggie.
  14. R

Ontario Karma thread

Giving away parts for donation/free in the spirirt of the season and needing to free up space. Anything given I'll pass on to Salvation Army. Everything is for MK4 jetta with ALH and manual trans unless otherwise stated. Parts are as follows. -Tail light set plus a driver side -Headlight set...
  15. R

Potential starter issue

Good day all Car wasn't starting after it sat for a few months, wouldn't jump from another car either, it would just turn over very slowly. Pulled the battery and reconditioned it on a NOCO charger, and reinstalled. The starter spins faster then it did originally, but the engine no longer turns...
  16. R

MK4 Battery Hold Down Tab

My captive nut mounted beneath the battery tray which the tab's bolt fastens to has come free, and now any attempt to loosen the bolt and remove the battery just spins the lower captive nut. I have tried reaching through as much as possible but can't get a wrench or socket on the nut as is. If...
  17. R

Won't start, won't crank, weird electrical symptoms

2000 Jetta, alh engine, manual transmission. Stumped on a no start problem and really not sure where to even start looking. I was driving around today totally fine, then parked at home for a few hours before I came back. The car didn't start, and, the odometer/time displays didn't light up, glow...
  18. R

VCDS Logging help

Hoping someone in the Markham-ish area has VCDS and would be willing to help me out in exchange for beer, cash, or the warm feeling helping others gives you. I'm having a P1557 code (Positive boost deviation) on my 2000 Jetta with ALH. The turbo Actuator was replaced recently by the mechanic who...
  19. R

Water pump seizure on east coast update

So the jetta is okay, after 6 weeks and a few repair procedures the mechanic gave me the green light. I was right about the water pump seizing, except it wasn't the pump itself, it was the pump ingesting a piece of my old thermostat and the impeller stopping. I am madly in love with the man who...
  20. R

Water pump seized in roadtrip

Posting here since the Atlantic board is pretty dead, and so am I unless I sort this out. Original post: Driving through cape Breton on my way to work in gagetown, my water pump seized at St. Anne's lookout. The belt is still intact, no valve damage. If anyone knows a shop in the area I can...