Search results

1. P

Thermal Barrier Coatings

I was just in the process of scraping up the parts to build a Type 4 engine (my first air cooled build in over 30 years!!!!!) and the heads (LN Engineering) come with a baked on thermal coating. I went to their coating applicator (Calico) and they assured me of their performance, but could not...
  2. P

Park Lock release in cold

Wife's 15 Q7 is a bear to get out of park when starting cold, so when I got home from months away, first order was to find out *** was wrong. I actually bought a UK manual, but have not even had time to open it. What I found was the switch that releases what I assume is a solenoid locking pin...
  3. P

First Oil Change, cold weather

I have been gone for about 6 months, wife left at home with her new Q7. Finally got back in time to change to winter wheels/tires and do first oil change. Not being home, I have as yet to get a Q7 factory manual of any kind. In fact, I can not seem to FIND the Bentley or Audi manual for first...
  4. P

Nav update?

Well, our new '15 Q7 didn't make its first 1,000 kms without setting CEL for emissions issues (I believe related to "the fix" screwups), plus by the time wife got it to dealer, receiver in door lock not responding to key fob "lock" signal. While she was there, she asked if they could update the...
  5. P

Strange no-start (no crank) issue

We got my wife's new '15 Q7 (for those who missed the post - as in an unsold holdback car) home, snow tires/wheels on (from wreck - NO wheel damage!!). It actually has a few differences I assume due to work or re-work related to emissions. The "old" one (60,000 kms) had a bit of throttle lag...
  6. P

Hood Latch

I had to park the '03 Jetta early this winter, since the hood latch would not release, no room in shop to play with it. Well, need to do some distance next week, so need it on the road. Well, if you have ever had this problem, you know there is no easy solution, since you can't get AT the...
  7. P

Replacing Wife's Q7

As some might recall, I spent months agonizing over what to replace my Mother's ultra low mile '13 Venza that my wife inherited last summer. We buy a vehicle once and tend to keep it forever. IF they were available new, an R Class Merc or Audi Q7 TDI would be the new purchase candidates, but...
  8. P

Q7 fuel mileage?

Let me start by explaining that I am an incredible tightwad. Our long distance car for the last 17 years has been a Jetta wagon, so I am totally spoiled. BUT: I took it off the road this fall to do some body repairs, install larger intercooler, bigger nozzles, and a bunch of detail work, so we...
  9. P

Badgeless MkIV grille

A few years ago, I bought a badgeless grille because I had a trailer hitch poked through the old original. Had the body shop put a steel filler into the hood, and install the (I think FK) grille on repair. It sure looked great, but when I went to change the hood release level (to aluminum -...
  10. P

New phishing scam?

Generally speaking, I never sell our cars or trucks, we drive them until they are all used up. BUT: my wife inherited my Mother's Venza, and it is a vehicle for which we really have no use. So, I put it up on Kijiji and Auto Trader. I was pleased to get some genuinely interested replies...
  11. P

MkIV 6 speed conversion kit

I have been busy with everything else in life last few years, so our MkIV wagon just got driven a bunch more. I replaced it with a Q7 TDI for wife's DD, so once a few other long stalled projects are cleared up, the ALH car gets its long overdue turn in the shop to do some freshening. I won't...
  12. P

Winter Aids

OK, I got into the 3.0 world (not leaving my 1.9 behind, just adding the big 6) but it is an engine I know not at all. I HATE cold starting any engine, especially diesels, so I don't see a cord dangling from the nos of the Q7. What is the engine/oil/water heating system offered by VWAG and the...
  13. P

backup camera activation?

I am on the road and a very long way from home and my VCDS. Just bought a low mile '14 Q7 TDI for my wife before leaving on this trip ("winter beater" while I work on her Jetta). She called more than a little upset because her backup camera locked on and is displaying on the navi/ent/etc...
  14. P

WTB MkIV wagon tailgate

as it says, for MkIV Jetta Variant. I need a tailgate from a rust free area of North America. Prefer Indigo Blue. Can ship to my US office address.
  15. P

microwave cracking?

OK, the WVO crowd is pretty large, and on this forum pretty low profile, so how about the cracking guys and gals? Recently, a friend mentioned that he would like to start playing with microwave fuel cracking from waste motor oil. I have strongly discouraged him from directly using WMO in the...
  16. P

Is there a Q7 in my future?

We don't buy cars that often, and then keep them until they are fully used up. As we have a fair number of vehicles, nothing gets the really high mileage that we racked up when we were younger (that is, if 1.8 million kms on my FLD120 can be regarded as 'high mileage"). My wife has only...
  17. P

Need for HEAT!

My wife`s `03 Jetta variant has been everything one could hope and expect for the last 15 years, but one thing that has NEVER been `right`is winter engine temperature. It needed (and had) a winter front that helped only a wee bit, but that vanished a couple of years ago. It has a correct OEM...
  18. P

VW and Fatal Flaws

I have owned VWs for 50 years now, been a mechanic, salesman, general manager and eventually dealer principal. Love the cars, but after all of this time, I have to admit that almost every one has been designed and built with a fatal flaw. Back in the air cooled days, it was inadequate cooling...
  19. P

Engine Engineering

Not that I want to specifically target the Rover K and all of its varieties, but this discussion is something that those with a little time and patience to read through will find very enlightening. We are always besieged by aftermarket tuners who all claim to have the answer to the factory's...
  20. P

VNT 17 billet compressor wheel???

As the title says, is there a billet VNT17 (GT1749VB) wheel available in North America (or Europe for that matter)??? Mamm's car is showing a LOT of erosion on the inducer blade leading edge, and I would love to replace it. Problem is, when "local" turbo shop (Alamo) tried to order one, Garret...