Search results

1. P

Running on oil without conversion

Probably, but it’s not worth the risk. That’s coming from me, who is pretty fond of burning WVO. But only in a properly converted car. Find someone who can use that viscosity and swap, put it in your chainsaw or lawnmower. If you do decide to use it in the car, I think a quart or a pint per...
  2. P

hi veggie folks, does anyone have the hose routing diagram for an old Greasecar 2 valve setup?

I can’t find my manual either; I’ll look again tomorrow but I suspect it is gone. I found this one with a Google search. It seems right to the best of my memory. If you have any questions, I might remember how it was set up...
  3. P

There are still places that give the oil away, thought it is not like on the “good old days” when people begged me to take their oil. I still get all the oil from a restaurant in rural Vermont; I suspect it is not worth the recycler’s time and trouble to pick it up. Some years back, when diesel...
  4. P

Welcome to the club. Stockpiling some diesel in case of future fuel shortages is a good idea, as long as you do it safely and correctly. As previously mentioned, it is much more stable than gasoline, and also less flamable. It’s actually pretty hard to ignite. Carrying it in the car is not as...
  5. P

Kerosene

Or just mix it with diesel. Even better biodiesel.
  6. P

I need a affordable diesel truck for a project with my 12 year old

I was wondering about the Wrangler diesel too… Second the vote for Dodge Cummins. My 1999 was very happy on WVO for a long time. Parts are plentiful and reasonably priced. The truck may be expensive; they seem to hold their value really well.
  7. P

White smoke on start up WVO

What Windex said. The purge is really quite important for good starting, especially in cold weather, and also for engine longevity. You should purge any time you are shutting the engine down for more than a few minutes. I liked to purge for 30 seconds or so, then drive on diesel for at least a...
  8. P

hybrid add ons?

Very clever idea, Andrew. I never thought if it that way, but I don’t see why it wouldn‘t work.
  9. P

Move Greasecar kit from Golf to Jetta

I think that will work fine. Just inspect the heater hose carefully for chafing or damage. It will be a lot easier to repair or replace when it is out of the car.
  10. P

Move Greasecar kit from Golf to Jetta

I think the job will be much easier taking it all apart and reassembling it in the new car. I’m not sure how you can leave the hoses attached at the front, since they are connected to the engine? I have moved my kits a few times and never had trouble putting them back together. You may decide...
  11. P

What micron and how?

If the oil sits for a long time, the water will settle to the bottom without heat. Much of the sediment will also settle out, making filtering easier. But you still have to filter it, and you should have some sort of heated system in the car, ideally a two tank setup with heated lines and...
  12. P

What micron and how?

I think most of the discussion here has been about WVO and biodiesel. If you do them properly and carefully, I believe your car will probably run for a long time and you will save some money. Whether you will save enough to make it worth the effort is a personal decision. If you just want to...
  13. P

What micron and how?

I won’t speak for anybody else, but I put 275k on my first Jetta, mostly on WVO. The miles weren’t a hobby, they were just driving. But converting the car and making the fuel, that was the hobby. A hobby that saves you lots of money - how great is that.
  14. P

What micron and how?

What everybody said. Really. Mongler98 is right that it takes time, and time is valuable. Mrseadog is right about all the money he has saved (a lot) and that it is a bit of a hobby too. It might seem strange (okay, I’m strange), but I would rather collect and filter oil than ride a motorcycle...
  15. P

What micron and how?

Not true about veg oil, especially in an older car. Many folks, myself included, have hundreds of thousands of trouble free miles on WVO. Were they using a good two tank heated system?
  16. P

What micron and how?

If you are even thinking of running WVO in your car, and it sounds like you might be, you should plan on a two tank heated system like the ones sold by Greasecar. I don’t think you will have long term success, and maybe not even short term success, without one. On the other hand, if you are...
  17. P

Anyone restarting?

I don’t have any videos. Biodiesel is a great thing, and many people have successfully made good quality fuel. My only advice is to be very careful, methodical and cautious. You are working with dangerous chemicals and hazardous processes. People can, and have been, blinded and even killed...
  18. P

Anyone restarting?

I have about 150 gallons of clean WVO, which I can use in my old Mercedes should we come to TEOTWAWKI. I gave up a good source of oil in central Vermont. If anybody wants it, they might still be available.
  19. P

hybrid add ons?

I always thought it would be nice if you could add an electric wheel motor of some kind to make a part time 4 wheel drive, just to get going in slippery spots. There is now a Prius that offers that.
  20. P

Is this a reasonable idea for heating WVO?

Everything Rocky said is true. If peak performance and maximum longevity are your only goals, diesel fuel is the way to go. But there are other major factors that might matter to some: cost, maybe emissions and probably carbon footprint come to mind first. If one is looking to tinker in a...