Search results

1. A

Thanks GoFaster

BTW, I've got a 96 Passat B4, not an A3. Sorry for my lack of attention.
  2. A

Thanks GoFaster

Depending on where in Oregon, 700 - 1000 miles.
  3. A

Thanks GoFaster

I'm about due for a Timing Belt replacement on my A3 (120k miles). I checked out Drivbiwire's Pictorial Guide for this in FAQs. Looks too advanced for me, especially with all the special tools (cam shaft locking bar, injection pump lock pin, special locking bar) & the software he uses at the end...
  4. A

Major HP Dropoff above 2500 RPM in 5th...

GoFaster...you're a TDI BIG BRAIN!!! I checked out that hose. The outside of the hose is a black, cloth kind of sheath. The inside of the hose is a black rubber hose. The reason I know that is because I followed the path of the hose to the Intake Manifold and found that the hose has been rubbing...
  5. A

GoFaster...you're a TDI BIG BRAIN!!! I checked out that hose. The outside of the hose is a black, cloth kind of sheath. The inside of the hose is a black rubber hose. The reason I know that is because I followed the path of the hose to the Intake Manifold and found that the hose has been rubbing...
  6. A

Thanks GoFaster...I checked out TDiFAQ Section 8.e.1 2nd paragraph: Manifold pressure sensor problems. I'll replace the hose and give it a test run. Might take me a week or 2 (got Holiday obligations around now), but I'll post the results ASAP!
  7. A

Thanks GoFaster...I checked out TDiFAQ Section 8.e.1 2nd paragraph: Manifold pressure sensor problems. I'll replace the hose and give it a test run. Might take me a week or 2 (got Holiday obligations around now), but I'll post the results ASAP!
  8. A

I can rule out Air Filter because I removed it for a Test Run and same HP performance. Please spell out MAF and can you help identify where it is located under the hood?
  9. A

I can rule out Air Filter because I removed it for a Test Run and same HP performance. Please spell out MAF and can you help identify where it is located under the hood?
  10. A

'96 NA Passat TDI (112,000 miles) When I cruise along flat freeway at 87MPH (140KPH) at 3000 RPM and then hit even a slight uphill incline (1-2 degree gradient) speed drops to 80MPH (along with RPM) with pedal floored. Have instances of dropping to 65 or 70MPH with steeper uphill gradient with...
  11. A

'96 NA Passat TDI (112,000 miles) When I cruise along flat freeway at 87MPH (140KPH) at 3000 RPM and then hit even a slight uphill incline (1-2 degree gradient) speed drops to 80MPH (along with RPM) with pedal floored. Have instances of dropping to 65 or 70MPH with steeper uphill gradient with...
  12. A

96 Passat HUGE WHITE SMOKE on startup

gbillman- I think I might be suffering a similar problem. After cold start, RPMs fluctuate +/- 100 RPM from 950 RPM every other second. 1 second stable at 950 then next second (within 1 second cycle) cycles 950 -> 1050 -> 950 -> 850 -> 950 RPM. Then next second, stable at 950. Then cycles again...
  13. A

96 Passat HUGE WHITE SMOKE on startup

gbillman- I think I might be suffering a similar problem. After cold start, RPMs fluctuate +/- 100 RPM from 950 RPM every other second. 1 second stable at 950 then next second (within 1 second cycle) cycles 950 -> 1050 -> 950 -> 850 -> 950 RPM. Then next second, stable at 950. Then cycles again...
  14. A

Major Electrical Problem: Mystery Power Cable with 80 Amp Fuse..

I went to a VW Dealer this past Saturday to check out the 2002 Jetta GLS Wagon. When I got there the Sales guy had someone check out my 96 Passatt TDI for Trade-In value while I test drove a 2002 Jetta TDI. The Trade-In Test guy gave me a very low Trade-In value and told me that if my Sun Roof...
  15. A

One thing I did not clarify is that I replaced the Old Battery with a New one that are alot more Crank Amps than the Old one. Someone else advised on the Battery plus I suspected it because the Old Batter (after checking) had very low Electrolyte Levels so I filled them but then decided to just...
  16. A

Hi Mickey, I have been working extensively on this problem with 'Just Some Guy' in some recent Threads under TDI 101 Section. We do know for a fact that the following are all OK, no problems: Battery (replaced with beyond necessary Crank Amps, probably not needed), Starter, Starter Solenoid...
  17. A

Was Not Battery and Not Starter....was Ignition Switch or maybe more?

Turns out the Alarm Control Module is Smoked, but replacing it will not remedy the main problem. The Constant Power Lead is somehow Shorted to Ground. At this point, I am trying to find where this Short is located. I continuing that thread on General Maintenance.
  18. A

Quick way to remove black streaks from your VW

I didn't know you could buy the Jetta Wagon in a TDI version. Must be knew this Year?
  19. A

There is an 80 Amp Fuse in Series with a heavy AWG Sold Red Power Cable coming through the Firewall. On the other side of the Fuse the Color of the Cable become Red/White and terminates on the Fuse/Relay Panel. Can anyone find this Power Cable in the Bentley Manuals in the Electical Diagrams...
  20. A

Was Not Battery and Not Starter....was Ignition Switch or maybe more?

Since I've got some kind major, complex Electrical Problem with my '96 TDI Passatt, I will move that Thread to General Maintenance: its not a TDI 101 topic.