Search results

1. oilhammer

DPF cracked - options?

All the CJAAs, regardless of model/platform, use the exact same DPF. I do them all the time. Everything is the same until you get after all the exhaust emissions components. The axle pipe/mufflers are what changes.
  2. oilhammer

Considering Purchasing a 2013 Passat TDI

If there was just a good catalyst that could be used with the delete, there would be little "smell" and smoke is just how much fueling happens. My tuned and EGR-less ALH doesn't smoke at all, and even with the exhaust dumped right under the cabin, I don't ever smell anything driving down the...
  3. oilhammer

No long term data to show if a deleted one avoids a lot (or all) of these problems. But it stands to reason it might. The CKRA has a really awful coolant control problem. I don't think any of the other CR 4cyl have their coolant temps spike up so darn high at such a rapid rate. The valve...
  4. oilhammer

I'm missing my cat(alytic converter)

The AWM B5 (the later 1.8t engine) has a larger, more cylindrical, catalyst... but it is tucked up under there right off the turbo in the same basic spot. You cannot easily see it from underneath, either. The V6 and W8 have a pair of them down further, on either side of the transmission.
  5. oilhammer

We've got a broken one abandoned here if someone is looking for a project, LOL. Actually doesn't look like too bad of a car. It does run/drive.
  6. oilhammer

Can 06 jetta wagon tdi manual really be a 05 or misinformed seller?

Yep, Canada got the BEW wagons for the 2006 model year. We just got BEWs in 2006 in the Golf and New Beetle. We didn't get ANY Jetta wagons in 2006.
  7. oilhammer

DPF cracked - options?

That may be the number that is on one of the pieces of the assembly, but ETKA doesn't show that anymore. Just know that these parts are VERY common to fail, and it is a BIG job to swap them. At least it is a quick easy thing to look in the outlet and see if any soot is in there. Then you...
  8. oilhammer

P2459 Issue

Yep, we call those 'space blankets'. :D
  9. oilhammer

Coolant hose electrical connector

The 1998 and some 1999 cars had that extra sensor in the upper radiator hose... it is an A/C cutout function, used in conjunction with the early type fan controller. The 2000+ cars just get the same info straight from the ECU, which uses its own sensor. Someone put the wrong hose on your car...
  10. oilhammer

The issues with the warranty: A: not much left anymore, regardless of which model/year B: as you already mentioned, VoA doesn't like to honor their agreement C: cars are MUCH more likely to have warrantable things break, which I think came as a surprise to them D: parts availability is...
  11. oilhammer

Timing belt job on a CVC engine, is there any torsion value to look at after its up and running?

I've not seen anything to mess with, no. The intake cam phaser would not be happy if it was that far out I would think. I've always put the non-variable water pump back in, as the originals sometimes break that collar off and make a swishing noise and grind themselves up. But you do have to...
  12. oilhammer

real world EVs review

The handles have heaters in them, but seeing how many times I've seen the people next door to us at work dragging an extension cord and a hair dryer out to theirs, they must not work perfectly all the time.
  13. oilhammer

Don't buy one of these cars if you are depending on that warranty. That's really unwise.
  14. oilhammer

real world EVs review

Buy land, then you can manage your little chunk of the ecosystem. We've been steady at it for over a decade now, on a couple hundred acres. Lots more to it than just planting trees, but managing the ones that are already there, and working to rid the nuisance plants. We've been working hard...
  15. oilhammer

P2459 Issue

Go to the Autoscan part, and get the Gateway Installation list, that will display what all modules your car has.
  16. oilhammer

real world EVs review

The drag coefficient is what the multiplier is for full frontal surface, so that alone does not make something "slicker" through the air. The original Beetle at a DC of .48, the Transporter was .44.... but clearly one has far more frontal area than the other. It is a good metric to show...
  17. oilhammer

Engine Revs out High. Fluid sprayed all over engine bay. Smoke coming from EGR area.

Yeah, you're still leaving a lot out. So.... the coolant is leaking. Between you and the entire internet, only one person has eyes on that. I can't tell you what is leaking no more than you could tell me what color my toolbox is. The ENGINE revs "high" due to the transmission (I assume this...
  18. oilhammer

real world EVs review

Renault has now turned to Mitsubishi for EV stuff, but that remains to be seen. They, too, have had EVs for a while.
  19. oilhammer

Engine Revs out High. Fluid sprayed all over engine bay. Smoke coming from EGR area.

Not much information to go on here. What fluid sprayed all over? Did the engine run away?
  20. oilhammer

Thermostat replacement

They can break all on their own, it isn't really a case of breaking it during the thermostat change, although that is certainly a possibility. I mean, if they crack and leak all by themselves without ever being touched after original assembly, then handling them is .... ???