Search results

1. Figit090

What did you do to your MKIV today?

I've been thinking about when I'm get mine I have a stock clutch and I doubt I could keep from flooring it between now and when I get the new one. 😣😆 Soon....
  2. Figit090

Difference between inner CV joints (100mm)?

Ah yes thank you! I was paying so much attention to the bearing I forgot the boot. 🙄 I appreciate it!
  3. Figit090

Difference between inner CV joints (100mm)?

While looking at part numbers I was trying to figure out how the left and right inner CV rebuild kits are different. Is it because of the type of grease included (high temp for turbo side)? I saw some people reverse them to get more use out of them, and one vendor I checked only has one side...
  4. Figit090

New inner CV boot won't go on shaft

Hey, at least you didn't try buying a reman only to have to ship it back, then get told from another vendor they won't warranty their work because your car is modified in a non-standard way. There's still hope! I'm now going to just rebuild my own axles because I know the shafts are nice lol.
  5. Figit090

Suggestions on how to best renew my suspension on a budget?

The IDparts beef on a budget spring set will bring you a little increase in ride height, but a skidplate is the best protection for oil pans at near stock ride height, since those springs won't give you a ton of lift. If you want to keep ride quality and not stiffen it up don't get the "beef on...
  6. Figit090

Check your radiator/condenser fan operation NOW

I bought Nissens, seems good so far. Wire was extra long compared to OEM but tucked away nicely. Nissens is a good brand I believe. IDparts is OOS but looks like FCP Euro has them available: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/audi-cooling-fan-motor-nissens-6x0959455f...
  7. Figit090

For at least the passenger side you can use vice-grips on the swaybar (tape between them and the metal to avoid scraping paint) to hold it in position against the subframe. Use a bolt that's slightly longer than what's in there to start the clamp. Don't screw it too far in or it will scrape...
  8. Figit090

Rebuilt GKN axle from FCP euro, does this look ok?

Called Marty, sounds like GKN doesn't necessarily replace all of the joints, which would explain dents on the outer housing.. Raxles are new joints, so it seems I should have gone with them to begin with. I know these would probably be fine but I plan to put them through tough conditions and I...
  9. Figit090

Yikes! Well, I have one more reason to look at a fresher axle, mine are like-new since we don't salt here and the remans I got are obviously thinner than mine. I know new axle shafts are hard to come by without buying OE VW, or DSS axles, but didn't know VW remanufactured them. I did know that...
  10. Figit090

Thanks, I was wondering if you'd be able to provide any insight. I'll post a photo later of my rebuilt axle's threaded tip. If I understand correctly, a fully new outer joint would have a new housing because the bearing rides on the inside of the housing, right? Given the damage I saw on...
  11. Figit090

I just realized, there was evidence of hammer impacts on the outder drive spline tip. I'll take a photo when I get home but I'm starting to think these don't actually have new joints. The rebuild kits for CV joints include the outer housing/spline and it's not painted black. According to this...
  12. Figit090

Looks like I got the axle used it the product photo, which was posted to their website right after mine shipped. Anyway, these look like they were pretty heavily rusted before being refinished and rebuilt; any reason I should feel iffy about these? FCP customer support told me the joints GKN...
  13. IMG_20210728_185444988.jpg

IMG_20210728_185444988.jpg

Recently completed lift with new shoes, lights, and roof box.
  14. Figit090

Beef on a Budget. VR6/Wagon springs

This is great info! I have my car together but I may have tried a longer spring had I known a similar one was available. Hard to say how much difference 15mm will make but I guess every bit counts. I did a mk5 strut top conversion with 2" lift outside the strut using the ID parts springs and it...
  15. Figit090

Mine is similar, pretty comfortable and keeps up with 80 degree temps especially on the highway. Eventually it gets cold, uncomfortably so if I use recirculation. I'm still going to need a good service soon though I think. When you test the A/C temps and get below 40, you are pulling the 70...
  16. Figit090

Very nice! what outside temps was it dealing with to output that low? I need to get mine checked, replacing the driver's side fan helped a lot but I think it still needs a boost.
  17. Figit090

Is taking a free parts car worth the time?

It looked pretty awful, I think it was indeed sheet metal welded in, ground down a bit and painted over. Maybe filler foam or bondo in there somewhere, not sure... I looked away when I saw it lol. The whole roof is black as part of the...uh...mod.
  18. Figit090

Very true, thanks. Low on space and almost no time but some motivation and friends who could benefit before I use it myself...maybe this will work. That's very true. I'll go look at it again but I have a couple possible possible paths for the car so I may just get it if the paperwork is in...
  19. Figit090

My car is in good shape, so there's no huge need here, but a friend offered me a running 2000 5spd Jetta sedan. It was his donor car for a project but he lost interest. It's a bit of a beater (welded shut sunroof, no headliner, dirty, ugly maroon...etc...) but I thought it drove fine and has...