Search results

1. icecap

2021 TDIFest Discusion Thread

I just dug through an unmanageable picture library and found some from the 2010 TDI Fest in Portland that I attended PDX 2010 that I was going to post but it doesn't look like the software will do downloads from my own device. The 2010 event was a lot of fun and I enjoyed attending and learned...
  2. icecap

BRM Clutch Recommendation?

I'm in the 3rd year and about 28K Km's since I had my clutch and flywheel assembly replaced with a Sachs SMF Quiet Clutch kit. I replaced the OEM DMF flywheel due to a bad idle speed engine vibration that wouldn't adjust out by changing the torsion setting. The OEM DMF had the dampener springs...
  3. icecap

Changing clutch/flywheel in 6-speed transmission (2009 Jetta Sportwagen)

Hi welcome to the forum, I'm a retired mechanic but couldn't repair my own 2 years ago since I had no place to work on it so had an independent import garage replace my clutch. I think you might need a few specialty wrenches for bolts with an accessibility issue and a decent set of tripple...
  4. icecap

What Cam & timing belt kit to buy?

Speaking from my own experience I would advise a kit containing a Colt Stage 2 camshaft. 2020 will be the 7th year and 70K miles since I replaced mine. I sourced most of the required parts from ID parts but sourced the camshaft from a different vendor since I wanted a colt camshaft as they are...
  5. icecap

BRM cam worn out after 30k miles?!?!?

FYI I purchased my 2006 TDI brand new with 16 miles on it. It was dealer serviced with their 505.01 Snake oil from day 1 and the car was serviced twice as often as VW recommended on the advice of my dealer. I also started doing used oil analysis in the cars 2nd year after finding out about the...
  6. icecap

BC Roll Call

Yet another from Chilliwack. 2006 Jetta TDI 230,000 Km's and going strong.
  7. icecap

Lighting Issue

I haven't posted for a long time but have an issue and could use some advice from someone who has done this procedure. I've had an intermittent problem with the indicator light warning of a burned out bulb coming on then going out again for months and could never find a burned out bulb. The...
  8. icecap

Experience with Headliner Replacements

I just had mine done by an auto-glass and upholstery shop. The headliner started to sag about 3 years ago. This summer it started to look really bad with a big sag very evident every time I looked in the rear-view mirror. I was going to do it myself and priced a replacement headliner from a VW...
  9. icecap

Anyone still have their TDI's?

I still have my late production 2006 Jetta TDI as a daily driver that has close to 145,000 miles on it. I originally bought it for a daily 90 minute freeway commute to and from work but changed jobs after a year to a much closer one. I've been retired for 6 years so only putting less than 4,000...
  10. icecap

Has anyone repaired engine cover "grommets?"

Replaced mine twice already. They don't last very long due to the vibration wearing down the lip that retains them. The first time I tried to order them the parts man spent ages trying to find them finally finding the number with the valve cover assembly.
  11. icecap

Any old-timers left? (I joined in 1999.)

I joined in 2007 after having bought a new 2006 Jetta TDI. I found lots of useful help and information on this site as well as having joined a local TDI group that held regular GTG's that were fun and something to look foreword to. Sadly the group disbanded after a couple of years. I...
  12. icecap

How many miles?

138,000 on my 2006.5 bought it new for a 90 minute daily commute and ended up changing jobs to a 10 minute commute so miles built up more slowly. My camshaft started to fail as picked up by oil analysis starting at less than 50K while still in factory warranty. Wear rate and metal increased...
  13. icecap

Timing Belt Replacement- Is it as scary as I hear?

I did my own and didn't find it too much different from others I've done on my old diesel Rabbit, a Nissan or Chevy Cruze that I've also done. With the proper tooling you eliminate the possibility of damage or getting the timing off. I would make sure you have a decent manual like a Bentley...
  14. icecap

215k miles and no can wear BRM

NOPE! My car was properly dealer serviced from new at the correct intervals using their 505.01 snake oil. I had 86,000 miles on the car when my warranty expired and my used oil analysis had such high Iron content I was advised that I had a failure in progress. I advised VW of the elevated...
  15. icecap

BRM cam failure

I did mine 4 years ago and replaced it with a Colt Stage2 and used the Black Nitride cam followers in Intake and Exhaust. I've always used the 505.01 oil. I will never buy another VW since I used to do used oil analysis and found that my iron spiked during the last year of warranty. I...
  16. icecap

Radiator fan question

Back in early July I noticed that my A/C was getting poor and thought it may be low on charge. What I found puzzling is that the A/C worked normally traveling down the freeway but it would quit altogether in stop and go city driving. It turned out that my radiator fans had stopped working...
  17. icecap

Noise from 06 Jetta TDI, DMF?

At around 90K miles I started to get a pronounced engine vibration at idle but no unusual noises. I did the cam timing adjustment as per YouTube video to correct the vibration and it improved but didn't eliminate the vibration. Several months later on a hard pull I noticed my clutch was...
  18. icecap

cold air intake or metal turbo inlet pipe for 2006 jetta tdi???

Ah the Cold Air Intake scenario and preferable with an oiled K&N filter and that nifty K&N decal you can place on your car that came with it:D. I think they add as much performance gain as hanging a set of fuzzy dice from your rear view mirror. I've had my BRM since brand new in 06 and love...
  19. icecap

BRM...Curious.

Interesting theory. Where do I find the DPF on my BRM?;)
  20. icecap

AC only cools on decel

Radiator Fans Hi guys. I haven't been on this site for ages but decided to drop in and look around again. I just went through this identical issue with my A5 Jetta. The A/C worked fine driving down the road but would blow warm air if stopped in traffic. I scanned for codes with VCDS and...