Search results

1. J_dude

What is my uncle’s ‘65 Bel Air worth?

I’m not even sure this is allowed on a German diesel car site but here we go! Haha My great-grandfather bought this car new, later it became my uncle’s first car, but has been sitting rotting in the grass for a decade or more and he’s planning to tow it out to the back pasture. Now I would like...
  2. J_dude

Another Ticking ALH

Ok so she’s developed a tick the last couple of weeks, 03 ALH Jetta, 468k km, timing belt was done 50,000-60,000 km ago and I checked cam at that point. Looked ok to my untrained eye. Screwdriver-to-ear test kinda makes me think it’s #4 injector, although the balance in VCDS is technically...
  3. J_dude

Should I drill a hole in my dash? What’s underneath?

Ok so here’s a question, what is under the dash above the center vents? Is there enough room there to run wires for gauges? I took out the center vents on my parts car to have a look but quickly realized there’s not much to see through that opening. I may try tearing into the dash a little more...
  4. J_dude

Help me get my Mk1 1.6 NA running again

This one may be kinda long... lol Looking to revive my 1981 Rabbit 1.6L diesel, it has been sitting for probably two years. Little back story, this was my first VW, the one that got me hooked on German Diesel’s, it cost me $500, was/is rustier than heck and I loved it. Coolant temp sensor quit...
  5. J_dude

Tow hook/eye only threads in 1.5 turns

Before anyone makes that comment, I’m aware it is reverse thread LOL. It starts threading in all right but only goes in a turn and a half then stops, seems like it’s been crossthreaded somehow as it starts to damage the end of the tow hook’s threads. What should I do? Could just put a bar...
  6. J_dude

It’s kinda complicated...

Not sure what to put in the title for this one, I have some strange questions. I am located in Canada (this will be important later). I have the opportunity to purchase for a very reasonable price a Mk4 Jetta 1.8T with 96,000 MILES (yes, miles), it is a very clean California car, has been...
  7. J_dude

NewSouth EGT, only 600*F?

What’s with NewSouth VDO EGT gauges not going lower than 600? Is watching temps for cooldown not a thing on TDI’s? I really would like a set of egt and boost gauges cause they match the stock ones so well but I feel like stopping at 600*F is strange. Maybe I’m just concerned over something...
  8. J_dude

Thoughts on M-LED 2.0 retrofit in mk4 Jetta?

I’m really not happy with stock headlights. I know you’re not surprised lol. Everyone I know thinks popping plugnplay LED bulbs in halogen reflectors is a good idea. I do not, because glare and poor beam pattern. And I don’t like to be a jerk to other drivers. Anyway I’m not really keen on...
  9. J_dude

ALH air in fuel lines after sitting overnight

Hello people, So here’s the deal, I had an issue with my Jetta sputtering a bit when started after sitting overnight, after researching and discovering the thermo T issue, I decided to change over to a CAT filter on a Wix base. While I was at it I replaced the rubber fuel lines from the hard...
  10. J_dude

Grey smoke and no power?!

Hey guys, I got me an issue... So this morning I went to work and everything was fine, good power, some black smoke but that’s normal, she’s tuned. After work I fired the car up, started “normal” (it’s been sputtering for a few minutes after cold startups, I believe it’s sucking air from the...
  11. J_dude

Engine mount bracket threads stripped, uh oh

Ok so I’ve been tearing my car apart piece by piece to get the timing belt changed and last night I got the engine mount removed, except I discovered an issue in the process. When I pulled the bolts that fasten the engine mount to the engine mount bracket thing, one of them cracked nicely and...
  12. J_dude

Timing belt tools in Saskatchewan, anyone?

Hey guys, so my 03 jetta needs a timing belt change soon and I don't want to spend $1500-1600 that the two nearest VW dealers quoted me, so I'm hoping I can do it myself. But there's two issues with that, 1st I need the special tools, and 2nd I need the vagcom stuff... ($$$$) So I'm wondering if...
  13. J_dude

Timing belt tools in Canada, anyone?

Hey guys, so my 03 jetta needs a timing belt change soon and I don't want to spend $1500-1600 that the two nearest VW dealers quoted me, so I'm hoping I can do it myself. But there's two issues with that, 1st I need the special tools, and 2nd I need the vagcom stuff... ($$$$) So I'm wondering if...