Search results

1. psaboic

150 Amp Strip fuse blows

Hi folks, I'm helping my niece with a no-start on her 2002 Beetle (TDI of course) automatic. First thing I did was check the fuses and found the 150A strip fuse on top of the battery had blown. Battery voltage is 12.5 volts measured at the battery with the cables disconnected. Well, I had her...
  2. psaboic

Another Camshaft Question

Hi all, Long time no post as the 2002 Jetta TDI has been not had too many issues outside of cosmetic stuff. Anyway lately I have been hearing some light lifter noise ( not only at start up, but when idling after a highway run. The car has 215K on it and is about 40K into the current...
  3. psaboic

Battery question

2002 Jetta TDI Manual 215K Battery started giving me some troubles. If the car is run daily in decent weather, no problem, but if you let it sit without running for 2-3 days, it doesn't have enough cranking power to start the car and needs a jump. Once started, as long as you run it daily...
  4. psaboic

Sudden low/no turbo boost

Hi folks forgive me if this has been asked before, but search is not my friend right now. Anyway, I'm currently 500 miles from home on a business trip, car (2002 Jetta TDI 5 Speed) was running great. Filled up, took off, and noticed no or little turbo boost. Normally my gauge runs between 15 and...
  5. psaboic

Radio question

Ok, after 18 years, I think the stock Monsoon radio bit the dust. First I lost AM reception, then about 6 months ago, I lost all FM reception as well. The CD player works fine, and I have a Sirius deck plugged in via the Cassette player and it works fine too. I just replaced the amplified...
  6. psaboic

So what would you do

Details: I have a black 2002 Jetta TDI 5 Speed manual with 202K on it that I have owned since new (so I know all the maintenance is up to date on it). Car runs fine, no CEL, and only starts a little rough in cold weather after sitting overnight. Here are the issues the car has, Faded paint...
  7. psaboic

Quick question about DEF

What year did they start using DEF in the Passat and Jetta TDI's. Trying to settle an argument. Thanks
  8. psaboic

Glow plug testing

With the cost of replacement glow plugs for a 2012 Jetta, I was wondering if there is a procedure for testing them prior to replacing them. I know on my old Mk4 ALH, I just pulled out the plug and tested it with my multimeter to see if it was good or bad. Can you do the same with the Mk6 glow...
  9. psaboic

Brake issue after timing belt change

Ok, did the full timing belt change and such today. Can runs very nice, and starts a lot easier. Went for a test drive and noticed an issue with the brakes. First couple of stops there was NO vacuum assist at all (and this was after idling the engine for almost 45 minutes while fin tuning...
  10. psaboic

Major issue - help needed

Doing the timing belt on my 2002 Jetta 5 Spd. You know the motor mount that goes between he body and the block (Not the pendulum mount but the one that everyone says you cannot remove without pulling the motor) Well, as I was jacking the motor a bit, it FELL OUT. I'm ready to start putting the...
  11. psaboic

Timing belt and fuel temperature issue

Hi folks, Long time no post since the Jetta has been running well with no major issues. It is getting time for me to do the timing belt again on the car (2002 Jetta TDI 5 speed manual, 177K), and of course a few weeks ago the check engine light came on. Both my OBDII scanner and VAG-Com...
  12. psaboic

Piece of cake!

Yesterday I did the 40,000 mile service on the wife's 2013. Probably the easiest car I have worked on in a long time. Start to finish the whole thing took me 4 hours and that included changing the DSG fluid, a 20 minute lunch break and cleanup. Admittidedly, I took my time as it was the first...
  13. psaboic

Why is this damn thing eating fuel temperature sensors??

Like the title says, my 2002 5 Spd is eating fuel temperature sensors. The first one went at about 160K, replaced it and at about 162K that one went bad. Replaced it again and it lasted until 166K when it went bad again. Replaced it one more time, and now at 169K.......you guessed it. Any...
  14. psaboic

Damn.....

Got a choice to make and could use a little insight. I have a 2002 Jetta (TDI of course) 5 speed manual, 180,000 miles. I have owned it since new and the only problem I have ever had was a bad fuel sending unit and a few glow plug changes. Anyway, it is due for a timing belt change and the...
  15. psaboic

Recommendation from anyone who has used the TDI trusted mechanic list.

Has anyone recently used and/or have a good recommendation for any of these TDI mechanics in the Seattle-Portland area. My 2002 Jetta is coming due for its second timing belt change. Thanks Hillside Imports: 4402 SW Beaverton Hillsdale Portland, OR 97221 (503) 293-0146 Esquire Motors Inc...
  16. psaboic

DSG service

Hi folks, I found a thread awhile back that detailed how to do the 40K service on the DSG transmission (like I have on our 2013 Passat). Not only did it give the detailed procedure, but also what type of trans fluid to use (by brand names such as Mobil 3309). Anyway, like a dumbass I forgot to...
  17. psaboic

P0182

P0182.....Fuel temperature low or missing signal. on my 2002 Jetta with 165K Had this code pop up about 3000 miles ago. Changed the fuel temperature sensor in the IP and it went away. Last night, out of the blue while running about 70 on the freeway, the CEL popped on and the my code reader...
  18. psaboic

Fuel Temperature Sensor

Just a quick question with a little background. I have noticed over the past couple months that the performance on my 2002 Jetta TDI has been dropping off a bit, especially going up hills and grades. Just not as peppy. Anyway, about 2 weeks ago I got a check engine light with a P0182 code...
  19. psaboic

Cleaning inside IP

Hi folks, Will be taking the cover off the IP tomorrow to change the fuel temperature sensor. The cover has never been off the IP so I have no idea how clean or dirty it will be inside. If I need to clean up any areas, what do you recommend I use. I was thinking brake cleaner since it...
  20. psaboic

Diesel Particulate Filter

Has anyone had to replace theirs yet due to ash loading or for other reasons? If so, what was the mileage this occurred at, and what was the cost?