Search results

1. Drewser

Phoenix area TDI owners, post if you're still here

Yes, tint is necessary! Welcome!
  2. Drewser

Yeah, I know the stories (1 big one in particular). Just never been my experience, nor several good friends of mine. We've all been happy with his work. However, lately I've been growing my own skills with a few engine swaps and timing belts, so not likely to make the drive to northern Phoenix...
  3. Drewser

So from what I understand, and I'm vague on details, Derek merged Exklusiv with Autobahn years ago. Worked for them for a while, then moved out of state. Then he moved back and went back to working for Autobahn. Had him replace my timing belt maybe 2 years ago there. No idea what's happened...
  4. Drewser

How to get rid of that nasty cigarette/ashtray smell from a TDI you just bought?

With it warming up, our cigarette smell is starting to come back a bit. We can ozone it out again, but I'm thinking of trying the ammonia trick...
  5. Drewser

How to get rid of that nasty cigarette/ashtray smell from a TDI you just bought?

Yeah, ozone won't do anything if you don't get the tar, smoke, and ash out first, either by very deep cleaning or replacing permeated surfaces. Our seats were leather so we were able to really clean them. Nice work!
  6. Drewser

Best method to splice in abs sensor wire harness to car? (2002 ALH NB right front)?

So I spliced one in to my current 04 Jetta wagon but it was in the driver's front wheel well. Original was ripped off and ABS light was on. Pulled one from a parts car and used waterproof connector for the wires, then electrical taped it all tight in the wheel well. Works great. Did take a...
  7. Drewser

Rotella t6 alternatives

My son runs T4 in his 6.0 F350, no issues. A 5 gallon bucket just arrived at our house yesterday, though not sure what he paid. Do others run T4 in their TDI's?
  8. Drewser

Rotella t6 alternatives

I just did the last T6 oil change on our Excursion. Bought 4 gallons back in December to get ready for it and then my son put a hole in one from the spark of his welder. Saved most of it but needed to find another gallon and went to every parts store in the area last week with no luck. Was ready...
  9. Drewser

Really loud engine on Passat...should it be louder than our Jetta?

Ok, sounds like a good plan... It's at least a few less steps.
  10. Drewser

So as I'm sitting here thinking, it makes perfect sense that the chain is probably rubbing. Sick at the thought. As I'm thinking of tearing back into the front of the engine, I'm debating possible solutions if the chain IS rubbing on the front cover. Any ideas? If I find evidence of scraping on...
  11. Drewser

Ok, now I'm panicking that I somehow didn't get the new gear on far enough and it's the chain rubbing on the front cover...may need to do an oil change and check for metal shavings...
  12. Drewser

Yeah, in looking at this yesterday it looked like a much longer job than 20 minutes with the EGR cooler in the way...can you get to all the bolts without removing the EGR?
  13. Drewser

Now that's an interesting thought... I'll look around. Thanks. Anytime have a video of a "normal" sounding Passat with BSM delete?
  14. Drewser

My TDI got hit last weekend, and I need help

It was kind of a unicorn perfect situation. That wagon popped up the same week and I haven't seen a TDI with blown engine in the last year since. Lots of luck and providence I'd say. I do have my searches still going strong on CL...
  15. Drewser

Finally got my new VCDS cable. No faults other than rear door lock, which we are well aware of. Checked timing and it was advanced at 2.5 so I adjusted it back to .5. Still runs great, just loud... Maybe it's just me?
  16. Drewser

That's pretty low miles. Another perk in AZ is that cars with classic car insurance don't need to pass emissions. My 90 grand wagoneer would never make it otherwise.
  17. Drewser

They used to require it be garaged but now don't. You are limited on miles though.
  18. Drewser

I know, right? Who doesn't want an extra mortgage payment driving down the road?:p
  19. Drewser

Mesa AZ chiming in. We got $3600 for ours a year ago then bought it back for $500. Just used it as parts to rebuild another, non-salvage title Jetta. However, their first offer was $2300. I sent them comps to get price up. Then on top of the $3600, I sent them receipts for the last 2 years of...
  20. Drewser

Like others have said, ozone system. Got ours for like $40 on Amazon and it's best money we ever spent on this car's restoration. I also agree with deep cleaning every surface...you have to get that ash and tar out. We stripped the interior...all seats out, center console out. There was ash...