Search results

1. T

2009CR Arizona Emissions Experience

Just got back from the emissions test station; was there for my first required emissions test. (In AZ cars do not have to be tested the first 5 years.) All diesels are given an opacity test only. The passing opacity value is 20. Having read other bad experiences in Arizona on this board, I was...
  2. T

Anybody had a 2009 tested in Arizona yet?

Mine is due (they don't test for the first 5 years). Don't know what to expect. I know that they tested using an opacity test on older diesels. Gassers (1996 and newer) just plug their equipment into the OBD port. Was wondering if the 2009s (hopefully) use the OBD port or if I have to endure...
  3. T

Tire Pressure malfunction and dead key fob. Related?

Any other make of vehicle I would feel silly asking this. But I have a VW, known for all sorts of electronic gremlins. Yesterday my low tire light went on. Stopped the car and did a visual check and saw no problem. When I got home, checked the pressures ~43 to 45psi in all tires (this is...
  4. T

B5 @ Valero in Phoenix AZ area

Saw a sticker on the diesel pump at Valero "May contain up to 5% biodiesel." I emailed them regarding "may" and here is their response: Thank you for your inquiry. We checked with our Fuel Compliance department, and based on comments from our Phoenix fuel carrier, biodiesel is available...
  5. T

I think I busted my intercooler

Two weeks my right front bumper had a very minor run in with a post. The only evidence was a small crack in the paint, which I repaired with touch up. Or at least I thought. This morning I noticed a drip of oil on the garage floor at the front right corner of the car. I popped out the...
  6. T

What recall am I missing?

Just got a card from VW: Dear Volkswagon Owner, According to our records, there is an open recall that has not been completed on your vehicle. I have had the EGR cooler recall and the brake light switch recall done. I have checked all the online recall sites as well as searched this site...
  7. T

AAA Arizona (Highroads) article

I would post a link but their website still has the old issue up. In the current issue (July/Aug) of Highroads from AAA Arizona there is an article called "Are We There Yet?" To make a long story (article) short I will get to the point. "Our fuel station offered up B20 biodiesel, 20...
  8. T

Drove through dust storm. Replace filter????

I have a 2004 Jetta PD TDI with 10K miles on it. From what I can see the air filter is supposed to be changed at 40,000. Last night I got caught in a dust storm; drove about 10 miles through it. (I live in Phoenix, AZ). It started me thinking. Should air filter changes be more done more often...
  9. T

5spd trans, how to shift smoothly?

Let me preface this by saying I have driven 4 and 6 cylinder gasoline vehicles with manual transmissions my whole life and have always been able to get the "feel" for shifting within a day. I have had my 2004 Jetta TDI 5spd for 4 months now and still have trouble shifting. It seems that I can...