Search results

1. 3

Worn out A/C Compressor?

For those that are following along, I've met with success. To answer the oil replacement question, I found literature from Sanden (the compressor manufacturer) that indicated replacement of 44ccs of what they call SP-10 oil in the event of a "major system leak". SP-10 = PAG 46. Use pure oil...
  2. 3

Worn out A/C Compressor?

Found the damn snapring. Sigh. In case anybody was running out to their garage with a millimeter ruler. Lol.
  3. 3

Worn out A/C Compressor?

So, the good news! The problem was the RCV. I replaced it, pulled and held 500 micron, and had the old, cold, awesome AC I was used to. 45psi low/ 320 high @ 100* ambient, evaporator temp 11*c. The bad news! The snap ring let loose and explosively released the RCV and a full charge of R-134A...
  4. 3

Ticking noise after new clutch and DMF

I had this happen with my first clutch replacement. Using a thin metal shop ruler, I was able to slide it around between the flywheel and shim plate and succeeded in bending it just enough to stop rubbing. Extremely lucky but it saved me hours of re-work.
  5. 3

Just picked up my first mk5

Not that I don't want this to work out for you but if your Jetta is black I'd be interested in the front clip and trunk lid :LOL: As for being known to seize, I wouldn't say that at all. Standard TDI issues when a timing belt breaks or slips, and possible lifter bore damage if a camshaft /...
  6. 3

Worn out A/C Compressor?

I use these blocks to get a decent idea of what's going on: Engine Speed Compressor - Current (specified) Refrigerant - Pressure (bar) Radiator Fan - Activation (actual) Outlet Blower - Temperature (c) Evaporator - Temperature (c) You can find them easier if you open the module and go to...
  7. 3

Worn out A/C Compressor?

Are the Polar Bear eplacements decent? https://www.polarbearinc.com/index.cfm/product/11509/ex-019-free-shipping.htm
  8. 3

Worn out A/C Compressor?

This morning I hooked up VCDS and got the log going before I turned the A/C going and lo and behold! There is a delay as well. About 20 seconds between compressor current commanded and any buildup of pressure. I'm going to replace the RCV and report back, is there a preferred or recommended...
  9. 3

Worn out A/C Compressor?

@oilhammer - I'm pretty sure, as the A/C will freeze you out of the car when I'm driving. It's only a problem when sitting still. So here's another observation. I did some VCDS logging. At idle rpm and no change of conditions (doors open, a/c on high, no recirc), the reported system pressure...
  10. 3

Worn out A/C Compressor?

@Mongler98 - cabin filter changed every 40k since I bought it in 2011. Last time I had the system open in 2016 I vac'd it for 12 hours and got down to 250 or so micron. This time around I evac'ed, vacuumed for an hour down to 29mm, and recharged. Didn't open the system so didn't see a need for...
  11. 3

Worn out A/C Compressor?

2006 BRM w/ 370k. Driven in West Texas so A/C use pretty much continuous from March-October. Recently I've noticed the A/C performing getting weak at idle, the air from the vents becomes noticably warm and humid. The fans are running and the car does not overheat. I evacuated and recharged the...
  12. 3

2006 Jetta w/ BRM conrod bearing failure

Yes. The bottom ends on these engines lasts virtually forever. You could go to a you-pull-it on half-off weekend and spend $100 on an engine you pull yourself and be miles ahead.
  13. 3

2006 Jetta w/ BRM conrod bearing failure

What happened to cause the piston rings to burn up? Folks here are getting many hundreds of thousands of miles on these engines.
  14. 3

Sunroof Drain Question

Mine sealed for two years after I installed the new headliner until the ends loosened up enough to just let water flow out of them and down the pillars.
  15. 3

Sunroof Drain Question

Confirming that this did indeed work. Plenty of room to get a hand in there and pull the sunroof drains and reseal them. Thanks for the tip.
  16. 3

Sunroof Drain Question

Quick question, is there enough "bend" in the headliner to pull down the front and get access to the front drain connections? I (stupidly) did not fully seal the front sunroof drains where they connect to the sunroof and they now dump water in the interior. If I can gain enough access by...
  17. 3

Mk5 Rally Bar

Anybody seen one of these?
  18. 3

A/C issues

Do you see an accurate outside ambient temperature in the instrument cluster display? The A/C will not operate without valid outside air temperature data.
  19. 3

WTB- MK5 A Pillar Covers

Looking for non-cracked / non-broken Mk5 a-pillar covers. Thanks!