Search results

1. Nuje

BRM camshaft bearing cap bolts....12ft.lbs.....really?!

Doing BRM camshaft replacement and got the non-stretch bolts package included from @BleachedBora (CascadeGerman.com). Are we *really* sure about the torque spec on those bolts? Like, 144in-lb (12ft-lb) seems like not close to enough. Coming from ALH-land, and the spec on the analogous fasteners...
  2. Nuje

Outer CV joints swappable between 01M and 02J?

Got a really nice 2004 Jetta here with a split boot on the outer driver-side CV joint. No spare axles kicking around apart from a pile of 01M axles from 5sp. swap projects. Any chance the outer joint from a 01M will fit on the 02J axle? Or even just the boot? (I think the joint itself is OK -...
  3. Nuje

Another camshaft?!

Had the camshaft replaced at 200K km; now at 350K km, getting some weird/occasional MAF CELs, but more concerning, the car seems to basically be in limp mode up until ~1800-1900rpm, then it suddenly takes off leaving a plume of black smoke behind. Decided to pull off the valve cover to get a...
  4. Nuje

Wait - what's THAT doing here?!

I can't be the only one who's been working on a car trying to diagnose a problem, or just pulling things apart and suddenly....what the...?! Like this past weekend: I want to put a TDI fuel tank in my 2.0L-->ALH 2002 Golf, and the one I bought had some fuel still in it (worth more than what I...
  5. Nuje

Gas-->ALH swap; A/C line won't reach compressor

Slowly chipping away at all of the "little" things on my 2.0L--> ALH conversion, and having installed backup camera and android head unit, pretty much the only thing left (well, apart from figuring out how I'm gonna mount my Audi TT seats in there, but that's another thread on another day) is...
  6. Nuje

Ever seen rear glass sunshades for Mk4?

I was a little put off by the price, but since getting these for my Mk7 GSW (part #: 5G9064365) , I find it way better than tinting (can lower windows and still have a barrier), and passengers can still see out just fine. Got them for my wife's A3 as well...
  7. Nuje

Mk7 Heated Steering Wheel Retrofit

Winter is all but wrapped up here in the northern hemisphere, so what better time to post a heated-steering-wheel retrofit thread. On a scale of "change the trim panel around your shifter" to "retrofit DCC", this skews much closer to the former. Big thanks to @Cuzoe for helping with parts and...
  8. Nuje

SMF from gasser - use with VR6 clutch?

I'm replacing the 2.0L and transmission in a 2002 Golf with a ALH engine and BEW transmission that have been occupying floor space in the garage, and in taking apart the outgoing drivetrain, was surprised to see a SMF setup in the 2.0L (who knew?!). Clutch disk looks surprisingly fresh (car...
  9. Nuje

DashCam Recommendations?

Been a while since I've seen a thread on this topic, and my parents are in the market for one, so I just thought I'd put it out there. What do you have? What do you like about it? What don't you like? Features to look for? Features that are useless?
  10. Nuje

AllTrack Skid Plate Install

HumbleMechanic has a really good video outlining the procedure, so I'm not going to go into too much additional detail, but here's the parts list: Skid plate: 3Q0825902B Passenger-side bracket: 5Q0825922A Driver-side bracket: 5Q0825921 M8x1 x 25mm bolts: N0195307 (Pro tip for Mac users...
  11. Nuje

QuickJack(like) Lift for only $50?!

I mean, this was an ad presented to me by one of the biggest companies on the face of the earth (rhymes with FaceCrook), so it's gotta be legit, right? (How does this company continue to rake in billions of dollars when their entire business model is ads, and most of the ads I see are...
  12. Nuje

Speedometer way off (~9%)

I know this is an outlier case because of my Virtual Cockpit retrofit, but was wondering if anyone has found a way to correct the speedometer reading. I had been driving 215-55-16 tires (~3% larger diameter than stock) so hadn't really bothered to look dig into it, but now with my winter tires...
  13. Nuje

FS: 2003 Golf Stage 4, Southbend Clutch, .658 (+ much more)

2003 VW Golf TDI For Sale (Edit: posted again April 11, 2022 - see post #15 ) Here's the basics on the car - I bought it a couple years ago with an automatic that was starting to balk (as they typically do) and after replacing the transmission, I started replacing things to make it into my...
  14. Nuje

Free shipping in Canada today! (Tuesdays in October)

Anything up to 5kg (11lbs) actual or volumetric weight (one cubic foot is pretty much bang-on 5kg volumetric) can be shipped for free* within Canada via Canada Post! *(if you have a "small business" account - which is free and requires nothing more than making up a name for your "business") If...
  15. Nuje

Mk7 GSW Rear Brakes...no shims(!?)

Did the rear brakes on a friend's GSW and was surprised that the rear brake pads look like dead ringers for the Mk4 rear pads; however, the box of new pads did not include those thin metal shims ("brake pad retainer springs" is what the Mk4 manual calls them), and the OEM pads that came off...
  16. Nuje

**2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI** - Vancouver Island

This was going to be the car to end my car-buying as it was (almost) exactly what I wanted. The one missing piece as the manual transmission, and when one of those popped up recently, I jumped on it. So...most of the work put into this car gets needs to find a new home. Overview: 2015 Golf...
  17. Nuje

ALH running hot...boils over under load

Recently did the timing belt on this car (2002 Golf, Stage4, VNT17, 02M - all the good goodies) - used Hepu water pump. Owner reported losing the coolant (OEM G13) coming through mountain pass (25km climb at ~4-6% grade). First fix: Replace thermostat (OEM) - same symptoms. Second fix: Tried...
  18. Nuje

BRM - coolant hoses behind engine...ARGH!!!!

Is it just me, or does the BRM seem like they forgot a few things in designing the engine and just slapped a bunch of stuff behind the engine with the hope that no one would ever have to work on them? Friend's 2006 started losing all the coolant - turns out both the heater core hose and...
  19. Nuje

Strut cup pinch bolt direction...why?

Been curious about this one for a while: Manual is very specific about the replacement pinch bolt (#14 in diagram below) on the strut cup point forward, so head of bolt is pointing to rear of car and nut is at the front-more part of the car. But yet, EVERY strut I've taken out (all of which...
  20. Nuje

Best diagram / explanation of internal combustion engine

Saw this posted on a tech blog (?!) and was totally impressed with how well-explained and diagrammed this explainer is, starting at first principles (producing rotational energy with a crank) and going all the way to oil ports, injections, and timing dual camshafts. To clarify for yourself, or...