Search results

1. G

Sold My Passat TDI Last Saturday. . .

Folks, the past few years have been fun, but owing to a change in my job, my driving habits and my geographic location, I sold my 1996 Passat TDI this past weekend and bought a new gasser. The Passat went to a good home- a friend who needs the fuel economy a little more than I do. (I only have...
  2. G

Competent TB changes in MN/WI this Summer?

What sort of need exists out there among MN/WI TDI owners for competently performed TB replacement this Summer? If enough demand exists, I'd like to see if it may be possible to get Drivebiwire up here this Summer from Chicago- Pete charges $175 for A4's and $125 for A3's & B4's, parts not...
  3. G

50 Cetane Koch Gold in MPLS Area

For what it's worth, in the Minneapolis area, Bauer's Texaco now has Koch Gold 50 cetane diesel fuel available for $1.39 a gallon. Bauer's also carry Koch Artic diesel during the winter months. Both are excellent fuels. On the west side of the Twin Cities, Bauer's is located off I-494 and...
  4. G

Motive Products Brake/Clutch Bleeder

Guys and gals: I recently ordered a Motive Products brake/clutch bleeder from www.germanautoparts.com. Two thumbs up. The thing worked like a charm- best way for one person to bleed brakes and clutch themselves. The tool costs only $44.00 US and the easy to follow instructions are on the...
  5. G

Anybody had any experience with RESTORE?

I'm sure some of you have seen the product in the little silver cans formulated for 4,6,and 8 cylinder engines known as Restore, which promises that its additives will fill in scoring on cylinder walls and boost compression. Any experience with this stuff, or evaluation as to the claims? P.S...
  6. G

Passat PS Fluid Question- Pentosin Mineral or Synthetic?

Gang: I'm going to do a little preventative maintenance on my 96 Passat TDI before winter, and want to do a poor mans change of my power steering (PS) fluid. I called Mark at Adriondack Auto parts/ German Auto Parts.COM and he said that the Passats of this year used two different types of...
  7. G

Delvac, Red Line, & Pentosin Stuff in Minneapolis?

Can anyone tell me where I can buy 6 quarts of Delvac 1 5W-40 synthetic, two quarts of Red Line MTL, and a can of Pentosin CH4 power steering lubricant in Minneapolis on a Saturday? An air filter and an oil filter would be nice too. I want to avoid the stealership at all costs. I'm headed down...
  8. G

Car Talk Guys BLAST VW Tdi!

On a Car Talk show I heard last weekend, Tom and Ray gave the following three reasons to a woman from Mt. Clemens Michigan as to why she should NOT buy a VW Tdi, after she expressed interest in doing so. They claimed that the Tdi was: 1. Pokey. 2. Smelly. 3. Hard to Find Fuel For...
  9. G

Passat MPG

On a recent trip to Montana and back (3000.2 miles), generally driving at speeds of around 75 mph, my average unscientific fuel ecomomy amounted to 44.49 mpg. Not too shabby, considering the driving was not all flat in portions. I'm simply amazed how this little engine can pull the car up...
  10. G

Clutches- How Long/How Far?

Can anyone give me an idea how long a clutch is supposed to last, if one drives the car normally. (I realize that driving habits and especially loads of highway miles will dramatically increase the longetivity of the clutch, but I'm just curious.) By "normally", I mean I do not engage in jack...
  11. G

Torque Settings for Intake Manifold Bolts?

Can anyone provide me with the torque values for the intake manifold bolts? I'm about to do some pulmonary surgery on my Passat- i.e. removal of those black plaque deposits. Thanks in advance.
  12. G

Clean that Mouse Screen!

I was just doing the normal oil/filter change this evening after some long summer drives across the great plains, and decided to check the air filter housing. What a surprise! That hemispherical fine wire "mouse screen" that many are so eager to remove was full of butterfly wings! By design...
  13. G

96 Passat A/C Evaporator Drain Leak?

Has anyone experienced a leaky a/c evaporator compartment, such that the footwell and carpet in the right rear passenger's area becomes saturated with water? The meat and potatoes of this are as follows: It does not happen on short trips of 1-2 hours. The rear footwell fills up with water on...
  14. G

Removing Engine and Transmission???

Given the fact that the engines and transmissions are bolted together first and then installed into the engine compartment when these cars are built, I've been kicking around the following idea: It is and can be excruciatingly impossible to remove the transmission from the engine, and/or work...
  15. G

TDI Audi A8 in U.S.? FWIW......

Hmmm. . . That's interesting! I'm sure that the A8's $$$$$$$ aluminum unibody will notice a remarakable increase in fuel efficiency. (Note to VW/Audi AG- Please put these things in cars that are affordable for most of us.)
  16. G

Lint on velour seats - update

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mel Knott: I opened a thread a couple of months ago on my disappointment with the velour seats in my Golf GLS and how they attracted and grew lint the likes of which I've never seen. Well...
  17. G

Intake Manifold Cleaning?

Ok Folks: I'd like to avoid my TDI having the mechanical equivalent of a "turbocharger coronary", caused by its having to force more air through an increasingly smaller space. Has anyone posted a how-to on cleaning your intake manifold? I periodically clean off deposits from my EGR valve as...
  18. G

RELAY 109 Installation Instructions?

Forum Members: Lots of discussion on Relay 109, but I can't seem to find a how to as to how to install this unit. I just received my new Relay 109 from www.dieselgeek.com, and want to put it in this weekend. THe current part in my 96 Passat has not failed at 90,000 miles, so installation is...
  19. G

Passat/A3 Block Heater Installation Instructions (Long but Good)

Block Heater Selection and Installation- 96-97 Passat TDI & A3's, by Jim Dolan. Since block heater information has been frequently requested on the site, and Spring is perhaps the perfect time to do it when coolant is changed, I have prepared the following to provide others with information...
  20. G

Amoco Premier Ag Diesel Economy

For what it's worth: My Passat was inadvertently filled up with 17.72 gallons of Amoco Premier 50 Cetane Ag-Diesel (the Red stuff that is illegal in passenger cars) by a non-diesel owning friend. Over the next 831.5 miles, the Passat returned an average MPG of 46.90, based on my unscientific...