Search results

1. G

Sold My Passat TDI Last Saturday. . .

The car had approximately 130,000 miles on it and was in good condition (i.e. rockchips in the paint, no rust, a few dents and scrapes from Montana roads, etc.). I really don't care to discuss purchase price, save to say that it was WELL ($1,000's) below the insurance replacement figures you've...
  2. G

Intermittent cruise control

Good luck with the car, Ganzgut2. I think you'll find this area of the site quite useful. There are some great folks here with some great advice. -owitz
  3. G

Sold My Passat TDI Last Saturday. . .

Folks, the past few years have been fun, but owing to a change in my job, my driving habits and my geographic location, I sold my 1996 Passat TDI this past weekend and bought a new gasser. The Passat went to a good home- a friend who needs the fuel economy a little more than I do. (I only have...
  4. G

CAT Fuel Filter Tests Results

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Pete, I see you've apparently taken the plunge and made that move west, as I have. Keep me posted on this adaptor/Cat filter business. I need to change mine in the Passat soon. Just checking in after a several month absence. -Ganzgut
  5. G

Competent TB changes in MN/WI this Summer?

I'll "third" the thanks to Geoff. I know it asks a lot of you to open your house to strangers. I regret I was short on time and that I didn't accompany all of you out to dinner Saturday night. I'll definitely make the drive down there for the next GTG if I can. Fun meeting all of you. Pete...
  6. G

DeafBug: You must be near that KrispyKreme in Maple Grove. I was glad to see the mystique and novelty wore off last weekend when I drove through. After the place opened, I had the utter misfortune to have booked a room at that Hampton Inn nearby, and it took me nearly 45 minutes to even make...
  7. G

96 Passat TDI Ready for 2nd Timing Belt

I don't think you have to worry about the bolts- that discussion pertained to the engines in the A4 Jetta and Golf. I gather they have a motor mount on the front of the engine which must be removed. The bolts in question were stretch bolts connecting the engine to the mount. Don't worry about...
  8. G

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Re: A3, A4, and B4. . . You have an A3- the older body style Jetta. It has the same engine as than in my B4 Passat- that being the older body style Passat. The main difference with the B4 and A3 engines is that the timing belt change...
  9. G

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">This Passat will DEFINITELY be there, having its timing belt replaced. The bodies of the newer cars look good, but everybody raves about the rear leg room in the Passat The plan at this point is to work Saturday, and relax Sunday, I...
  10. G

Need help with problem / anyone in minnesota have vagcom

Those with VAG COM questions should strongly consider attending the MN/WI GTG to be held July 13 & 14th in Excelsior. Please check out the thread posted in the Central US/Canada Gathering and GTG section. We plan a BBQ Drivbiwire will be here for TB work and will have a VAG-COM available The...
  11. G

Ok gang. This is a for real "bricks and mortar" update for this GTG: Geoff Davis will host the MN/WI GTG on July 13-14 at his house in Excelsior, MN. He has a two stall garage. His address is: 519 Wheeler Dr. Excelsior, MN 55331 952-401-6015(h) I have spoken with Drivbiwire this morning and...
  12. G

OK Gang: The latest news: I've talked to someone offline graciously willing to host(prsa01's co-worker and fellow Tdi owner Geoff Davis & wife), and the MN/WI GTG will take place on July 13 & 14 at their home in Excelsior, MN. For those unfamiliar with the Minneapolis area, Excelsior is a...
  13. G

Binky: Try www.dieselgeek.com at his website or 866 375-4335. His name is Jim Royston, and I've bought various VW parts from him before. That reminds me, I've got to phone him later as well.
  14. G

This post having been returned to its proper purpose, I can assure everyone that plans for the GTG are still alive and kicking. At this point, we are still talking about July 13 & 14, 2002. While details still have to be worked out, the event is scheduled to happen in Minneapolis. More to...
  15. G

Gang: I spoke with Drivbiwire this afternoon concerning TB parts and related matters. We discussed locations/logistics/requirements for the potential MN/WI TB GTG. DB said having the GTG in central MN/MPLS area poses no problem as there are plenty of places those non-gearheads traveling with...
  16. G

DeafBug: Madison's just fine- no trouble with the general location. However, we still need a person or persons willing to part with a shed/garage at a specific address for a Saturday, let alone invite a gaggle of strangers over. . . Somehow, I don't think doing TB work in the parking lot of a...
  17. G

Ah, but we need a location for the TB work. And relatively soon.
  18. G

The second or third week of July would probably work out fine. My friend's brother and sister in law live in Madison, so it gives me an opportunity to visit them there should the TB GTG be held in Madison environs. There is now an excellent chance I'll be moving to the sticks (Montana) late...
  19. G

I think a well-lit garage, a jack and jackstands would be all that's needed if we're only talking about TB's. Of course, minimizing the effect on the neighbors would probably be a wise move also. I think we also need some dates and perhaps Pete to chime in on this one now. . .
  20. G

I could certainly do Madison as well. What we need is a place to GTG, a time and date certain, and Pete's acquiescence.