Coolant temp sensor causing hard start

snakeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta and Wagon, GLS 5sp
Glow plugs didn't come on this morning in -15°C, causing a long crank and a smoke bomb. Looked up the cel code I got on vcds and it turns out the coolant sensor is giving bad readings. I confirmed this by going into the measuring block, and got 20 something degrees C with a warm engine.

I guess I have a bad sensor? My question, though, is how come the temp gauge on my instrument cluster is displaying the accurate temperature (needle in the middle when engine is warm)? :confused:

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
There are multiple temperature sensors. Not sure what they all do, but the coolant temperature sensor does not feed the dash.

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
The coolant temp sensor on an ALH engine has two sensors internally (4wires). One goes to the ECU and the other goes to the cluster.

snakeye

Veteran Member
TDI
Interesting, so if the dash is getting the correct temperature then maybe it's just a bad contact?

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
If you have another occurrence then unplug the CTS connector and check how it starts next time.

If your CTS is black then replace it.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Interesting, so if the dash is getting the correct temperature then maybe it's just a bad contact?
Perhaps... but pretty rare. :)

Just to be clear: the coolant temperature sensor has two internal sensors.. and thus four wires.

One sensor feeds the dash and one feeds the glow plug circuit. Either can fail on its own, although it seems to be the glow plug side that fails the most.

VCDS can see both sides... so you can check it out... but if your glow plug light is only coming on briefly when it's cold, and stays on for a long time when you unplug the sensor... you've pretty much confirmed the glowplug side is bad.

Meanwhile the dash gauge continues to work just fine.

snakeye

Veteran Member
TDI
That's exactly what's happening. Thanks for the info! I guess I'll just unplug the sensor on cold days to maximize glow plug time until it gets warm enough outside to fix. Not hard to do once you break the clip off the connector :eek:

slick rick

TDI
2001 vw beetle
Is this the issue on 99 alh tdis.mine takes 5sec of cranking before firing after warmed up?when cts is unplugged fires rite up but have no check engine lights??

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Yes, the early TDIs had a not-so-good fuel map. Needs a tune to correct hot starts. Your 99.5 may need a chip soldered in to tune, so unless you want to solder that thing in, you need to send the ECU to the tuner.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
What Vince says, no and no.
I bought a 99.5 new, it was fine for 4 or 5 years, then started the hot start bullshit. Tune fixed it. Fuel economy and power not affected.