Show what you tow!

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I stuffed a standing tool box (6 drawer and open top) into the back of the beetle. The people at Home Depot thought I was nuts, but I made it the mile or two to home.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
In the bug I've transported Chickens, beef calf, alive deer, racoons, hay squares, wheel barrows, vintage snow runner, 3 wheeler, ect...ect, lots of atv's and snowmobiles behind on a trailer. Canoes on the roof, and lots of other things up there. These tdi's are a mini truck, I use mine for everything but pull the stock trailer lol.

PradoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
1991 Toyota LandCruiser LJ78 with ALH Swap
In the bug I've transported Chickens, beef calf, alive deer, racoons, hay squares, wheel barrows, vintage snow runner, 3 wheeler, ect...ect, lots of atv's and snowmobiles behind on a trailer. Canoes on the roof, and lots of other things up there. These tdi's are a mini truck, I use mine for everything but pull the stock trailer lol.
I was always amazed at what would fit in my MK3 Jettas. One trip I had a 5k engine hoist in the back, another time I put a 20 gallon parts washer, 20 ton shop press and 3 five gallon buckets of solvent in the trunk (seat folded down, of course). I also discovered that I could fit all 4 summer tires/wheels in the trunk, along with a pancake air compressor, without folding the seat. My entire JD2 tubing bender with stand fit comfortably in as well.

jef@rosstech

Associate Ross-Tech Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 Dog hauling, wood towing, pinball stashing Jetta wagon

Picked up a new toy from the local VW dealer.... Godzilla.

jef@rosstech

Associate Ross-Tech Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 Dog hauling, wood towing, pinball stashing Jetta wagon
The older gen pins like Williams System 11 or WPCs, they will just barely slip in. But the modern Stern pins are like a couple of inches too tall to fit. If needed, the back box could be pulled, but it is just easier to tow.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
It’s to help him see …😉

Drclaw

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
Did my first longish distance highway towing the last few days. Went from ME to MA ~180 miles one way. Had my aluminum 5.5x10 trailer loaded with a ~300# snow blower near the front and then a bunch of other lightweight stuff. I probably had about 500# total in the trailer of which ~300# was the snowblower and loaded towards to the tongue. I did push the snowblower in with the chute facing forward so more of the weight was closer to the axle/wheels of the trailer but didnt really move the CG back that much, maybe a few inches, relative to having the snowblower loaded with the chute facing towards the rear gate of the trailer.

Everything went pretty smooth, felt fine pulling and stopping but I did have to downshift more frequently than I was expecting. On inclines on the highway I would have to downshift from 6 to 5 and at times, especially towards the end of my drive, I noticed a periodic burning rubberish kind of smell. It could have been burning clutch but I havent really burnt the clutch in this car so not exactly sure what a VW burnt clutch smells like. It could have been brakes but I dont recall any heavy braking and didnt notice the smell only after brake events. I generally drove in the right lane at 65-70, with sometimes moving up to 75 to pass a car etc.. I averaged about 26-28 mpg on this highway cruise with the trailer loaded. My normal highway MPG is ~36-38.

On my way back, the trailer was basically unloaded and did not notice any weird odors and did not have to downshift at all.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Well …. That’s just showing off…..😉 . Nice haul !

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
I should have gotten a photo, but the other day I was borrowing my dad's f250 to tow a trailer load of blacksmithing tools from my old house to my new house. I started up a hill on a country highway and halfway up the truck died right in the middle of the road around a blind curve. My wife was following with the passat wagon, so I hooked the tow strap up to it and pulled the truck and trailer the remaining 1/4 mile up the hill. It was a heavy load, but I took it slow and the passat didn't sweat too much.
Didn't take any photos as au was just concerned with getting it off the road.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
NICE! what kind of mileage do you get normally and towing? What tranny/final drive are you using? What rpm at say 65 or so?
Calculations are for the most part consistently 36.6, worst has been 32.5. 4:10’s, W59 and 235/85/16’s. Around 2200-2300 @65

Thanks

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
Last edited:

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Nice, good and low profile. Do you run 5th or 6th on flay constant freeway speeds?
It's about 2 feet taller than my wagen. Pulls just fine in 6th. (Stage4) get close to 24 going 63. 100 gal of water, big jenny, pressure washer. Rest of stuff is light. Have helper bags also. I'd bet the box is 800 and the frame is a few hundred. So it's close to the 3k mark. I didn't have my gauges on to measure egt or pressure. Was definitely working her hard.

T1MMBOJONES

Veteran Member
TDI
03 ALH 01M wagon
It's about 2 feet taller than my wagen. Pulls just fine in 6th. (Stage4) get close to 24 going 63. 100 gal of water, big jenny, pressure washer. Rest of stuff is light. Have helper bags also. I'd bet the box is 800 and the frame is a few hundred. So it's close to the 3k mark. I didn't have my gauges on to measure egt or pressure. Was definitely working her hard.
Big Jenny, that's not a very nice thing to call her.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
Here is my latest large load. Did an atv camping trip about a month or so ago. Pulled great no issue. Worst part was while loading up for the way back the trailer tongue separated from the trailer at the tilt point. Poorly designed pivot point plus 20 years or so of use and it wore out eventually as the steel bolt ate through the aluminum. Thankfully it happened while loading and not while cruising down the highway. Still was a fun weekend with the family!!