Compressing rear brake calipers? Does there exist a common tool I can buy quick?

Diesel Fumes

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 alh tdi 5 speed
I'll save the whining about vw designing brakes like this. But in short I need to change the pads and rotors. But had to stop mid way through. Anyone know if Canadian tire, princess auto, etc sells a tool to compress these pistons?

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
I use a big C clamp and channel locks. Works minty. I got tired of loaning the tool from a local auto parts store, and didn't want to buy the tool.

If you buy one I'd get one that will for sure work on vw brakes. The pins on that center hold may not match well with the vw ones.

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
Should. I have one that is allegedly "for" VWs and it works on everything else I've ever worked on that has cable-driven E-brake rear calipers.

It just has to fit in the notches so it can press and turn at the same time. This is the one I have -- it is very easy to use.

Diesel Fumes

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 alh tdi 5 speed
I use a big C clamp and channel locks. Works minty. I got tired of loaning the tool from a local auto parts store, and didn't want to buy the tool.
I tried that but it's all a bit tight to get a clamp on there plus trying to turn the piston. I could give it a try. It's all put back together for the time being

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
I tried that but it's all a bit tight to get a clamp on there plus trying to turn the piston. I could give it a try. It's all put back together for the time being
Ok, ya I just clamp the piston to the brake line bolt/back of the caliper, put a tad bit of force on the brake piston. It doesnt take much. Then start twisting the piston with channel locks being careful to not rip the boot. Should go in easy enough. Otherwise you can possibly use a screwdriver and wedge it between the split in the caliper and the piston prying on it while you twist the piston. Sorry thats not a very clear picture I know. Only did that once since I was in a pinch. It took forever but it did work.

Diesel Fumes

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 alh tdi 5 speed
Ok, ya I just clamp the piston to the brake line bolt/back of the caliper, put a tad bit of force on the brake piston. It doesnt take much. Then start twisting the piston with channel locks being careful to not rip the boot. Should go in easy enough. Otherwise you can possibly use a screwdriver and wedge it between the split in the caliper and the piston prying on it while you twist the piston. Sorry thats not a very clear picture I know. Only did that once since I was in a pinch. It took forever but it did work.
It makes sense yea. I was able to turn the piston as I thought it was that design (where you just turn the piston). But not at the same time as compressing. I'll give this another try tomorrow thanks

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
It makes sense yea. I was able to turn the piston as I thought it was that design (where you just turn the piston). But not at the same time as compressing. I'll give this another try tomorrow thanks
Yes you have to alternate. Add some pressure twist, once it gets loose add more pressure and twist. Irritating, but once you have it goes quick.

Bradm

Veteran Member
TDI
02,03,05, Jetta 99.5 Golf
I always found a big c clamp, possibly with a socket and a angle grinder tool with the two pins worked great, apply pressure, trurn a little, repeat.
Ive since bought the correct tool

irvingj

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon TDI (PD/BEW)
I have one of those cubes -- it just wasn't "strong" enough on my Jetta, kept slipping out; I then bought the Metalnerd tool, which worked well.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
If you can’t get it to rotate while pushing in then the caliper is toast.
Once it starts it’s easy , I’ve done it with the C clamp method like stated above watch you don’t catch the boot and rip it .
My kids got me a kit from Harbor freight that works great , looks a lot like the metalnard but with more plates for different cars.
I don’t think HF is in your neck of the woods though….

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Similar to what I have but it has a broached 3/8” drive hole option as well as a spammer option and knurled outside circumference, might be a KD Tool. I pull the rotors and put the calipers back in the brackets to hold them

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Once it starts it’s easy , I’ve done it with the C clamp method like stated above watch you don’t catch the boot and rip it .
My kids got me a kit from Harbor freight that works great , looks a lot like the metalnard but with more plates for different cars.
Too add to this. Try turning the piston without the clamp first if it doesn't go. Still the caliper may be going bad, but sometimes you can get them working again.

Bradm

Veteran Member
TDI
02,03,05, Jetta 99.5 Golf
Similar to what I have but it has a broached 3/8” drive hole option as well as a spammer option and knurled outside circumference, might be a KD Tool. I pull the rotors and put the calipers back in the brackets to hold them
Yep, good idea

Diesel Fumes

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 alh tdi 5 speed
Rotates fine. Hopefully try this again today. So it's not threaded? Need to push in as turning and it should go?

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
a big c-clamp works perfect for doing rear calipers. if you put the swivel end on the piston, as you clamp it down, it usually rotates itself just the right amount, especially if the foot of the clamp is small enough to fit in the depression of the piston. works wonderfully... if it doesn't rotate, you might need to help it a bit (carefully) with some large pliers, just be careful to not pinch the boot

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
I push on mine using the 3/8” drive ratchet

drew5250

TDI
2003 Jetta ALH with a Manual Transmission
I'll save the whining about vw designing brakes like this. But in short I need to change the pads and rotors. But had to stop mid way through. Anyone know if Canadian tire, princess auto, etc sells a tool to compress these pistons?
I know it's probably done and over with, but I used my Matco BCP41 brake piston spreader tool. I would definitely get one or something similar, it makes working on any disk brake system that much easier.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Just the hassle of going back and forth, plus depending on how many cars you got in family to work on….. for me it’s 7 vehicles….just the cost of fuel pays for that tool.just my .02

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
Yeah I agree and I own one too. If one is in the middle of a job and wants to get it done, it's easy enough to get one right away than order and wait for one to arrive.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Big stores will rent the tool for free. Why buy?
Because tools are cool.
Because that tool might be useful in another application.
Because if my time is worth even $25/hr, it's more than an hour to make two round trips, plus the time of a transaction at the parts counter for something that they do maybe 5x/month (it's not quick), plus the actual checkout at the till....and then the same thing in reverse when returning.