To sell or not to sell

brian0104

TDI
2005 TDI GOLF GLS
Hello everyone,

I have a 2005 VW TDI GLS Golf. I'm having a very difficult time trying not to sell my TDI, but think its time, because of my growing family, unless the TDI forum family can talk me out of it LOL! I've had the car since I was 21 years old and purchased new, It has 174,000 miles as of now. I have always kept up with the service timing belt water pump etc.. and recently last year I had all the suspension front and year redone and used transmission placed in it, because of some leak from VW they would not recall one mechanic told me. I was under the impression it was the axl seals, but that was not the problem, maybe someone on the forum can educate me on the trans issue, its a manual 5 speed. It has some body rot and a view minor defects on the body, but still drives like a champ. I guess my biggest concern is how long will VW continue to make parts for these engines. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

DuraBioPwr

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 BEW Jetta (5spd)
The vendors expect another 10years of strong sales supporting these cars. I would not sell. You will never get another non-emissions diesel that delivers stellar fuel econ and a good driving experience.

I am going to drive the wheels off of mine. I make biodiesel so that helps justify ownership and usage. I drive a 40mi loop daily and costs me a $1 day for fuel. There is no comparison in ANY vehicle. Electric would likely cost more and I live in an area where power is very cheap.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Can't buy a new one.

Can't buy anything really similar to it now.

It'll outlast the new(er) ones.

It isn't worth a whole lot, probably worth more to you than anyone else.

But sometimes situations dictate you cannot easily have multiple cars and if that one doesn't fit the needs for you anymore, then...

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I drove my 2 teenage sons (and usually a friend) all over New England to snowboard in my Jetta Wagon. I also used it to move all three children (I have a daughter, too) in and out of college dorms multiple times. Now I drive my grandson around in it, although modern car seats are harder to fit in the car than teenage boys, surprisingly.

My point is that these cars can work fine for families, as long as you have no more than two kids, or don't drive more than 2 or 3 of them around at any given time. Aside from the somewhat cramped rear seat area, I find MKIV VWs to be just about the ideal size.

Get the body cleaned up and keep it!

Reactions: P2B

brian0104

TDI
2005 TDI GOLF GLS
I couldn't agree more with every statement. I recently purchased a Toyota Tacoma to fit the children and work out of on weekends for my electrical business

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
Keep it. Can't find a better car. There's literally not a single new car newer than an mk4 TDI I would care to have. Prefer my mk3 TDI the most

AverageAndy

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2013 Golf TDI 6MT, 2013 Jetta TDI 6MT (R.I.P.)
Sell it....to me ;) I'm looking for a car for my college age son, but you are a little far from the desert.

DonL

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta TDI wagon (BEW)
If you sell it you will regret it. My BEW Jetta is up to 322,000 miles and going strong. Yours is barely broken in. You will come out better driving it until parts start falling off. Since you indicate it has early stage cancer, I do not think you will get much for it. Mine is cancer free and still blue book is far less than I would sell it for.

On the 5 speed transmission, I have the transmission fluid changed every 100k miles with the VW fluid. No problems, no leaks.

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
5-speed, 2015 Golf S 6-speed manual; 2015 Golf Sportwagen SEL 6-speed manual
I’m selling my ‘03 Jetta wagon to my son. He has an ‘01 Golf GLS TDI with a strong engine, but enough interior and body issues to make it less than great. Part of the deal requires that he keeps totally up on maintenance. If not, I’ll take it back. Since I’m not transferring title or registration to him, I’d be able to do so.

U4ick

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
Sad part is, mk4 jettas in wrecking yards around here have almost totally dried up. :cry:
Won't be long now they will be totally unavailable.