Sell or Junk?

add2700

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf GLS TDI
My 2005 Golf was rear ended on thanksgiving in 2020. The insurance totalled it but I kept it and had the cracked bumper damage replaced. The car runs great and aside from a small curl on the hatch edge you can't see any damage. No one told me at the time but I was supposed to get a salvage repair title at that time.
I bought a 2015 q5 TDI and need to get rid of the golf. It only has 140k miles. It's on it's third turbo. The last trusted mechanic said it was because the previous shop didn't clean out the pipes when they did turbo number 2. The windshield has many cracks and dings and the clear coat is peeling on all vertical surfaces.
Is it worth fixing up and selling? I'd need to get the salvage repair title and the process seems to be to first get a salvage title, THEN get it inspected and get a salvage repair title. I don't have much interest in spending more on this golf even though mechanically it would run great for another 150-200k miles. What would you guys do?

ducatipaso

Airhead Butcher
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
salvage title will reduce resale and make the car harder to sell. BUT, your mileage is rather low for a TDI, so it might be worth the effort.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
The car isn't going to be worth much IMO in the shape it sounds to be in. Even if it hadn't been totaled. The money you put into it to get ready and presentable to sell you can't try and dump or recoup in the selling price because it would end up being grossly overpriced for what a salvage title will bring.

You'd do better by posting some detailed photos on this thread if you want better estimates.

ducatipaso

Airhead Butcher
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
or simply get it titled and sell it as-is. with those miles, the car would have some value just for the drivetrain. someone might want it for a swap.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
My 2005 Golf was rear ended on thanksgiving in 2020. The insurance totalled it but I kept it and had the cracked bumper damage replaced. The car runs great and aside from a small curl on the hatch edge you can't see any damage. No one told me at the time but I was supposed to get a salvage repair title at that time.
I bought a 2015 q5 TDI and need to get rid of the golf. It only has 140k miles. It's on it's third turbo. The last trusted mechanic said it was because the previous shop didn't clean out the pipes when they did turbo number 2. The windshield has many cracks and dings and the clear coat is peeling on all vertical surfaces.
Is it worth fixing up and selling? I'd need to get the salvage repair title and the process seems to be to first get a salvage title, THEN get it inspected and get a salvage repair title. I don't have much interest in spending more on this golf even though mechanically it would run great for another 150-200k miles. What would you guys do?
I've never had salvage on mine. Totaled twice.

add2700

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf GLS TDI
Yeah no one told me about the salvage title, not my insurance, not the other party's insurance, not the body shop but that's america. You just have to know. The car is also due for a timing belt in another 10k, it was done at like 79k. There's a local salvage yard that will give me $500 so I'm going that route. It was a great fun car and could go alot longer if someone wanted to put the money in. Not me though.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
You'll need something to drive while the Q5 is getting repaired, may as well be a car you already know and is paid for.

ducatipaso

Airhead Butcher
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
i think you'll get more than $500 selling it for someone looking for that engine for a swap. might take more time. list it on craigslist as a running untitled car and the miles and ask $1000 firm come and get it. i bet it'll sell in days.

ducatipaso

Airhead Butcher
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
have you considered advertising it for sale here in the classifieds? it's a TDI... fly in, drive home!

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI SE 6MT 15 GOLF TDI SEL DSG
if it was only "cracked bumper and a slight curl on the edge of the hatch" who cares if its a salvage title or not, its not like this is $30K car, its probably worth like $3-4-K depending on the condition

add2700

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf GLS TDI
I've read/deciphered more of Colorado title law and I can't sell it to anyone, including the junkyard unless I get the salvage title.
Thanks to everyone's input I'm going to put it up for sale. Thanks again.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
I've read/deciphered more of Colorado title law and I can't sell it to anyone, including the junkyard unless I get the salvage title.
Thanks to everyone's input I'm going to put it up for sale. Thanks again.
Why the heck does a junkyard need a salvage title?

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Did the insurance give it a salvage title? Did you surrender the title to it? If not, it wouldn't need anything done I would think.