Lower boost pipe connection failed; what are my options?

shoebear

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon, 2005 New Beetle, 2013 Sportwagen
Probably as a result of installing my DLC-1019's last weekend, my lower boost pipe blew apart where the turbo hose connects to the pancake pipe. These clip fitting are known trouble spots. I'd love any advice and guidance on fixing it.

Searching the threads, I found two solutions that are quick and easy:
  • Install two screws through the connection to prevent blow-off. I like this one: it's fast, permanent, and easy to remove for future disassembly.
  • Glue the connection together with Permatex Gray. Good fix, but that joint will never come apart again.
Some of my own ideas are:
  • Remove both the hose from the turbo and the pancake pipe. Clean the connect carefully with brake cleaner, inspect for worn parts, then snap together and see if it holds. This probably is a pre-requisite for all the other solutions as well.
  • Do the above, also wrap duck tape around the connection to help secure it.
  • Fab new pipe all the way from turbocharger to intercooler. Use silicone fittings and aluminum pipes. I don't currently have a belly pan, but if I got one in the future, perhaps I could flatten the aluminum pipe enough to fit through.
  • Fab new pipe similar to above from turbo to pancake pipe. Fit on OUTSIDE of pancake pipe and secure with T-bolt clamp so the ridges around the pancake pipe opening are compressed into the silicone to seal.
I should mention that https://www.siliconeintakes.com/ is local to me.

It's time for Thanksgiving dinner over here, so I'm probably done for today. But I'll check this thread in a few hours.

Thanks!

Last edited:

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
I'm a fan of silicone pipes and proper t clamps but that's just me.

Screws would function properly but it might leak. Looks pretty hack too IMO

pgringo

TDI
03 5speed wagon. 03 5speed Jetta sedan
If you can grab a 1.8t metal pancake pipe, a couple of the right sized couplers and 4 clamps from siliconeintakes is all you need. One flex coupler goes over the metal lip/end of the hose coming from the turbo. It connects to the rear of the 1.8t pancake pipe. The other coupler...I went with a 30° elbow I think...connects the front of the metal 1.8t pancake pipe to the stock intercooler. I can't remember what sizes and I'm away from my TDI for the holiday.

shoebear

Veteran Member
TDI
Ordered the Autobahn kit. With 20% Black Friday discount, but adding shipping, it was $142.71.

But this will take a week or 10 days to arrive. I need to get the car back on the road tomorrow. So I will probably use the two screw method for now.

shoebear

Veteran Member
TDI
If you can grab a 1.8t metal pancake pipe, a couple of the right sized couplers and 4 clamps from siliconeintakes is all you need. One flex coupler goes over the metal lip/end of the hose coming from the turbo. It connects to the rear of the 1.8t pancake pipe. The other coupler...I went with a 30° elbow I think...connects the front of the metal 1.8t pancake pipe to the stock intercooler. I can't remember what sizes and I'm away from my TDI for the holiday.
Good idea. I need to hit the junkyard tomorrow anyway, so I'll see what I can find. I did order the Autobahn kit (didn't see your post in time), but if the 1.8T pancake works, I'll return the Autobahn kit for a refund.

pgringo

TDI
03 5speed wagon. 03 5speed Jetta sedan
If you find a 1.8t pancake pipe, it might have the front OEM coupler on it that would work. Then you would just need the flexing coupler for the rearward end.

shoebear

Veteran Member
TDI
If you find a 1.8t pancake pipe, it might have the front OEM coupler on it that would work. Then you would just need the flexing coupler for the rearward end.
Thanks! I'm about to head out, so good timing.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
1+ the pancake pipe or try this
I used silicone to seal both of ours, holding well. This would make a great secondary application and save on duct tape for other applications! Down on the farm baby!!

shoebear

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, the junkyard had 13 Mk4s, but none were 1.8Ts. There were a couple of Audi A4 1.8Ts, but the engine is mounted in line, not transversely, so the turbo plumbing is completely different.

So I think I'm back to using screws for a quick fix, then the Autobahn kit when it arrives and I have time to put it in.