Weird whine.

Paulius_1.6TDI_

TDI
1.6tdi CLHA
I'm probably posting this in the wrong thread, so if i do, im sorry.

My 2013 seat leon 1.6tdi Clha started making this whine sound. It's RPM dependant and not boost dependant.

It came out of nowhere, not gradually. It wasn't there, then boom, its here.

The car is straight piped and remapped.

I checked the turbo for play and there's none.
Also the whiny noise seems to be coming from the front of the engine where belts are.

Any ideas?

Video:

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
If it were mine, I would take the belt off and see if the noise is still there, or if it goes away. If it goes away, one of your accessories or pulley/tensioner are the cause of the whine noise.

Paulius_1.6TDI_

TDI
1.6tdi CLHA
If it were mine, I would take the belt off and see if the noise is still there, or if it goes away. If it goes away, one of your accessories or pulley/tensioner are the cause of the whine noise.
I wanted to do it but ran out of daylight today, I'll give it a go hopefully it's nothing serious. Thank you!

Wilkins

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta Wagon 5sp, 10 Sportwagen 6MT
I’ve had a very similar whine for a couple of years now. Most noticeable just above idle and below 1500 rpm. Almost totally goes away at idle. Initially I traced it with a stethoscope and it seemed to be coming from the rear side of the timing belt area, right near the tensioner or maybe water pump so I changed the timing belt and water pump. Everything replaced, full ID Parts kit. I think it is quieter now (maybe) but still there. I thought one of the pulleys was a little rough, but barely noticeable. Apart from that everything looked in great shape.
Sometimes I wonder if it is the gears driving the second cam? I’m pretty sure the noise is worse in cool weather too. Sure like to find it, it’s annoying.

Paulius_1.6TDI_

TDI
1.6tdi CLHA
Mines
I’ve had a very similar whine for a couple of years now. Most noticeable just above idle and below 1500 rpm. Almost totally goes away at idle. Initially I traced it with a stethoscope and it seemed to be coming from the rear side of the timing belt area, right near the tensioner or maybe water pump so I changed the timing belt and water pump. Everything replaced, full ID Parts kit. I think it is quieter now (maybe) but still there. I thought one of the pulleys was a little rough, but barely noticeable. Apart from that everything looked in great shape.
Sometimes I wonder if it is the gears driving the second cam? I’m pretty sure the noise is worse in cool weather too. Sure like to find it, it’s annoying.
Mines actually more noticable above 1500 rpm. The faster the rpm the louder the whine. I have ordered full timing kit + auxilary belt and tensioners. Get that replaced just to have a piece of mind. If i don't trace the noise i guess I'll have to live with it. But it's kinda sketchy not gonna lie.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
While replacing those bits, go ahead and isolate the noise. Pull the serpentine belt, see if the noise goes away., etc