B5 Axles

Nathan_og

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 vw jetta 1.9 alh 5 spd
Does anyone know if gsp axles are good on the b5 passats? I see German oem sells them and I know they normally sell quality products. I also see napa has a lifetime warranty on their axles but seems to have mixed reviews. I would like to explore other options before spending a lot on raxles.

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
IDK about the ones you reference (besides Raxles), but if you have an auto tranny, MANY people report issues with vibration when stopped in gear after installing aftermarket solid-shaft axles (OE are hollow).

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
I purchased a 99 v6 Passat to convert my 2005 Passat diesel to 5 speed back in 2019. The owner had just put new CV axles on the 99 before his timing chain tensioner gave.

I installed them and never had an issue. With the balance shaft delete I do notice rattles but they are behind the dash and not the CV axles. Gasser b5 and b5.5 owners have torn the dash out to hunt down these rattles.

My usual choice of vehicles have oversized mud terrains and leaf spring suspension on one or more axle, usually in rag top form, so my tolerance for rattling/noise/vibes is likely much greater than that of your modern day VW/Audi enthusiast.

For the TDI motor repairs/maintenance I never go with cheap parts(other than wix filters). For the car I generally go cheap. So far the only item that has bitten me in the butt is the eBay control arm kit. After two years the ball joint boots are starting to crack.

MEgearhead

Veteran Member
TDI
B5.5, 4L, 4G
I tried axels from AutoZone and they freaked out the anti-lock brakes. If you have stock axels with worn out cv joints I'd just replace the joints with either GKNs or genuine VW.

mkuiper

TDI
04 Jetta TDI
I'd go for GKN if you can. I think that's the only quality one from what I could find. Backordered at many places I just ordered mine for FCP eruo