What did you do to your MKIV today?

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
I'd be worried about a bearing that goes on all the way that easily. I heat them to 200F in the oven and they normally slide on just far enough to thread on the old nut, then require a fairly substantial amount of torque on the nut to fully seat.

norbert77

Veteran Member
TDI
01 beetle
I'd be worried about a bearing that goes on all the way that easily. I heat them to 200F in the oven and they normally slide on just far enough to thread on the old nut, then require a fairly substantial amount of torque on the nut to fully seat.
I have used light bulbs in the past on other machines, as long as the bearing mass isnt huge it works.

That is a FAG brand with new axles, it did not slide in when cold

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Well, I sold the one with a bad engine. Picked it up for $200 and some work, turned around and got $750 for it. I had a guy who also wanted to trade for an AR-15... I had already told the one guy I would hold it for him. Oh well, I probably needed the cash more than a pew-pew. 😃

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Well, I sold the one with a bad engine. Picked it up for $200 and some work, turned around and got $750 for it. I had a guy who also wanted to trade for an AR-15... I had already told the one guy I would hold it for him. Oh well, I probably needed the cash more than a pew-pew. 😃
Dang woulda come out ahead if you made the trade!

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Dang woulda come out ahead if you made the trade!
I know. I kinda wished I hadn't told the other guy I'd hold it, but I know how it is when you drive several hours for a vehicle and can't go right away... I've always appreciated the people who held one for me.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
I know. I kinda wished I hadn't told the other guy I'd hold it, but I know how it is when you drive several hours for a vehicle and can't go right away... I've always appreciated the people who held one for me.
For sure, that's a solid move. I always will give 1st in line the chance to purchase. I've been undercut before on a sale and it sucks

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Car passed inspection with no issues and put new snow tires on…..
Trying to get a bunch of car stuff done before I go in for an ankle fusion on Monday……not looking forward to it….

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Trying to get a bunch of car stuff done before I go in for an ankle fusion on Monday……not looking forward to it….
Good luck with surgery! Having been through more injuries and surgeries than most, don't skimp on the PT afterwards!

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
Good luck with the fusion - sorry that you have to get it done. I know a few folks (my dad is one) that had ankle surgery after ankle surgery, and eventually fusion. I don't know of a lot of folks that had good outcomes prior to fusion.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Thanks guys…

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Now that I'm living in a state that actually has a winter, I finally installed the used Frost Heater I'd picked up in the classifieds section here, a few years back.

It was only then that I realized it didn't have the mounting bracket, and that the plug had drug on the ground at some point, so it's going to require some additional effort.

I also found that the oil to couldn't hear exchanger hoses were rather soft from oil exposure over the years, so it's just as well that I was replacing the upper one, and I need to find a replacement for the lower one.

Fahrvegnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
01 golf 1.9 alh gls silver
Frostheater supplies hoses to and from heater. Mine dragged on ground too. I butt connected a new wire and plug. I also zip tied the low grill on so the plug won't easily drag on the ground.

This week I pulled into parking lot without skid plate. Well someone in a suv had run over a sign indicating where only compact cars could park and flattened the sign. It had been held up with concrete blocks that got dragged into the drive lane and I didn't see it. The whole area is dirt and clay so the block blended in. I thought I dropped an axle. It dented up the oil pan but I'm still going whilst awaiting a new Riv nut.

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
I'm my case, the hoses to and from the heater are there, but the other house if the heat exchanger pair is soft from oil exposure.

braddies

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf ALH
Frostheater supplies hoses to and from heater. Mine dragged on ground too. I butt connected a new wire and plug. I also zip tied the low grill on so the plug won't easily drag on the ground.

This week I pulled into parking lot without skid plate. Well someone in a suv had run over a sign indicating where only compact cars could park and flattened the sign. It had been held up with concrete blocks that got dragged into the drive lane and I didn't see it. The whole area is dirt and clay so the block blended in. I thought I dropped an axle. It dented up the oil pan but I'm still going whilst awaiting a new Riv nut.
Lol, I only hit things on the day's I don't feel like putting the skid plate on

Gothmolly

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
New rear shocks, stub axles, dust shield, pads and rotors.

Here is a tip for you all, all diy say to hammer on the bearing. Just use an incandescent bulb, warm it up a few minutes. Warm to handle is good enough.

What told you it was time to replace the rear stubs?

Prairieview

Veteran Member
TDI
Two 2000 Beetles, 2002 Jetta, 2002 gas avh Jetta, fleet of older 1.6 turbo and non's
Where can a person obtain the two necessary Frost heater hoses? I lack those and was going to improvise. But, if they are readily available.........where?

norbert77

Veteran Member
TDI
01 beetle
Today is the coldest day I have fired up my poor old beetle, it's 16゚F. Poor girl's been in storage the last many years all Winter long But I don't have a suitable Winter car. The glow plug doesn't stay on and there's no dynamic idle. At what temperature should the Glow plug light stay on?

ghohouston

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta Sedan TDI 5 Speed
Do they make those for the beetle? I got a set of new TYC and theyre terrible, seems like high and low beams are out about 15 degrees side to side
The lights themselves I bought from a member here, named freakwitharacket, but he recently posted he was no longer doing business. Hopefully someone else picks it up, because I've been nothing but happy with these lights for the last 4 or 5 years. I only wish I would have bought them with glass lenses from the start, but was worried about them breaking. Now, with seeing how the plastic lenses turned to crap in a few years, I'm not too worried about the glass breaking. I have no idea if anyone makes them for Beetles.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
I started mine!!! Blew the diff in 2017 right after I bought my SLK and during construction of my garage. Brought it inside that winter to inspect - confirmed it was dumping fluid out the bell housing. 2019 pulled the trans, built one good out of two broken and installed a peloquin LSD. Drove it up and down the road and parked it in my garage while I was running the 03 wagon around, then my 14 A7 TDI and a 2.0FSI passat. Several projects later (and 2 more TDIs), and finally sold 3 cars... Charged up the battery and turned the key - don't even think it cranked - just fired and purred.

I'm going to replace the fender that is a bit rusty, finish the GLI lower body trim, install the eurospec interior bits and get it back on the road!!!

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
The lights themselves I bought from a member here, named freakwitharacket, but he recently posted he was no longer doing business. Hopefully someone else picks it up, because I've been nothing but happy with these lights for the last 4 or 5 years. I only wish I would have bought them with glass lenses from the start, but was worried about them breaking. Now, with seeing how the plastic lenses turned to crap in a few years, I'm not too worried about the glass breaking. I have no idea if anyone makes them for Beetles.
I had tons of problems with his lights... bought 2 sets early on (2014). Cheap lights (one arrived broken because the projectors are too heavy for the internal hardware to support) - crappy wiring - horribly designed harness and one had obsolete HID bulbs. Only good thing was the glass lenses. I rewired, replaced ballasts, ditched his harnesses and modified the car to keep lows on with highs (lows power ballasts, highs trigger the shrouds). LEDs now work so much better than HIDs- when I fix the second set of his (been on the shelf useless for years) - I'll go that route.