ALH Intake Cleaning

Ovrhill

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Jetta Wagon BEW, '06 Golf BEW, '15 Golf TDI(sold), '05 Golf TDI (wrecked)
Doing a timing belt and intake cleaning on an '01 Golf. EGR and intake were about two thirds, or more, blocked with carbon build up.

I have those items cleaned and ready to re-install. There is some buildup around the intake ports on the head. I'm a little bit unsure whether it is worth the risk to try and scape some of that off.

Is it ok to leave the intake ports as they are and out the intake manifold back on?

braddies

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf ALH
From Myturbodiesel.com Intake cleaning article

The cylinder head is best cleaned while off the car. If you want to clean the cylinder head while on the engine, I suggest removing the camshaft (follow timing belt removal as spec. in your factory service manual or see 1000q: timing belt removal ALH engine) so that all the valves are closed. You can then use a brush to clean. I would avoid using liquid cleaner just incase it were to leak into the engine and cause hydrolock (engine damage). Make sure to follow up with compressed air to blow out all loose carbon particles.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Unfortunately a restriction is a restriction, regardless of being in the inside of the intake manifold or at the ports themselves.

Your call if the restriction you're seeing needs to come off... but if so, the safe way is to either pull the cam OR rotate the engine as you go, so that the port you're working on has a closed valve.

Ovrhill

Veteran Member
TDI
The ports on the head are restricted much less than the manifold. As in most cases, the largest part of the buildup was in the neck of the manifold.

I was just wondering if there is a risk of ingesting some of the buildup left in the ports due to increased airflow.

I really dont want to mess with the ports on the head unless it's nessessary.

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”
I was just wondering if there is a risk of ingesting some of the buildup left in the ports due to increased airflow.
From what I’ve heard, yes, that is a concern.
I, however, cleaned my intake before I knew this (there actually wasn’t much buildup in mine, but I had it off anyway), and I did not clean the ports in the head, and I haven’t had any catastrophic failures... yet lol.
Although I suppose that could potentially be the cause of the “tick” I’m currently procrastinating about...

Ovrhill

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks J_dude. I'll probably take my chances as well unless someone else can convince me otherwise.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
You can do it safely with some preparation and caution. Rotate the engine until both valves are closed on that port - clean, vacuum and make sure no debris is left behind. Rotate until the next is closed and so on.

Ovrhill

Veteran Member
TDI
This seems to be a risk vs. reward situation to me. The intake ports do have carbon deposits around the edges of the openings. However, they are not blocked or do not appear to be causing any substantial airflow restriction. The biggest restrictions were in the EGR and the neck of the intake manifold.

I am inclined to leave the intake ports as they are unless increased airflow from the intake could cause what is left to flake off and be ingested. I am just unsure how much of a concern that should be.

Ovrhill

Veteran Member
TDI
This is what I am looking at on all four ports. All opinions appreciated!

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Don't really do much of these anymore, but we made a shop vac the "special tool" for this.... good thing it is still around, because it has become the tool for cleaning the DI gasser intake ports, which I DO do a lot of now.

I just stick that vacuum tube down near the ports, and use my 90 degree hose removal tool and dig it out, shop vac pulls anything loose right out.

FYI: don't use a shop vac you care about, because it will be filthy black inside forever.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
The accumulation is relatively soft, much softer than the valves and seats. I wouldn't worry about ingesting the head tract restriction during combustion. Note the soot chunks in the image below.

Last edited:

Ovrhill

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks Guys. I might give this a go.

Are the intake valves assumed closed if the associated cam lobes are pionted up in the "V" position?

That question might expose my ignorance. However, I'm not sure how to know for sure otherwise.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
"points" on the cam are up, then they aren't pushing on the hydraulic followers down below.

Ovrhill

Veteran Member
TDI
Hopefully my embarrassment will save someone else save someone else some pain. :giggle:

Is this the best or easiest way to know that the port is blocked?

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Probably best and easiest, other than removing the cam entirely so that all bets are off. :)

Not quite the same engine, but here's cylinder 1 with both cam lobs "up", so no pressure on the hydraulic lifters and hence both valves are closed:

Ovrhill

Veteran Member
TDI
Got it. Think that I'll go for it. I'll let everyone know how it turns out. Thanks!

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
FYI: don't use a shop vac you care about, because it will be filthy black inside forever.
you aren't kidding there!!!

Most of the ones I've done intake cleaning on have had little to no buildup in the head. One was driven in limp mode/bad MAF/whoknowswhatelse for ages and I couldn't even get air to blow through to torch it out. Every tube in the cooler was clogged and all 4 intake ports were full of gunk (90k mile 98 Beetle).

Ovrhill

Veteran Member
TDI
All four are done. As @Lug_Nut stated, build up in the ports was a little bit softer than what was in the EGR and manifold.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
You can start the engine and run it like that.... noisy as all heck... and be careful nothing loose is nearby (paper towels, rags, hair, clothes, low hanging scrotums,) because it'll suck it right in!

Ovrhill

Veteran Member
TDI
I've got the valve cover and the vacum pump off. Started in on a timing belt job that somehow got sidetracked. I'll get through the TB job and see what happens.
It's more likely that something off on the timing belt job would keep it from running than anything that I have done so far. 😁

Gothmolly

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
Man this really makes me want to do mine. Still getting 48mpg with plenty of pep, it's hard to bother. But I imagine its gross in there.