Thoughts on auto trans repair

Pedalsteel

Veteran Member
TDI
Unicorn
Looking at a 2005 passat tdi with bad trans... I'm assuming it's the valves/solenoids that are bad and I'm wondering for the 2005 year if they are OK to do or if they are a total pain? I know the 2006 NB tdi is easier to repair the auto trans with new solenoids than the previous years

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The ZF unit in that car is 100% different, and it is most likely in need of a rebuild or replacement. But neglect also can lead to water leaking inside the car, that can cause the TCM and/or the wiring to it to have issues. But if that happens, the transmission itself will still let the car move, albeit poorly (limp mode). Which is full unregulated line pressure, reverse, and forward high gear, with no lockup. If the car won't move AT ALL, the transmission is toast.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
As oilhammer said, they're different. Ypu can get all the parts to rebuild them from Eriksson. I considered it on mine, but will be manual swapping instead.

MEgearhead

Veteran Member
TDI
B5.5, 4L, 4G
As OH said, it's hard to say what the problem might be without knowing what it is doing. Most folks just swap it to a manual. If you decide to rebuild it yourself, 5industries just finished one. Look up his thread "5HP19FL GMR"