I can unplug the turbo actuator and the noise goes completely
I can also cycle the ignition 10 times and the noise goes completely
When I’m driving and the screech happens, I feel a lack of boost / power
Any ideas
Thanks

Dannyboy

Veteran Member
TDI
Sounds like either a sticky turbo vanes/ actuator or your turbo may be past its best.

Troy stanton

TDI
Cr170
Sounds like either a sticky turbo vanes/ actuator or your turbo may be past its best.
Hello Danny
I thought that however given the fact it’s on and off, and the turbo seems fine when I cycle the ignition, I have a feeling it’s actuator related

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I am a member of the " it sounds like your turbo is tired" group.
After you cycle the key 10 times, how long does it take for the noise to come back?
When the screech happens, you lose boost?
Do you have access to Vag-Com? You can cycle the actuator while parked with the engine running ( of course ) and see if starts to screech without a load applied to the turbo.

Troy stanton

TDI
Cr170
It comes on after the car cools back down / the next day
I know the turbo isn’t broken because when it has no noise, I have full boost, surely a broken turbo would be constant
No access to vagcom

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Actuator only opens and closes the vane assembly. Could be a sign of imminent death or it could be fine. They spin at a redicuosly high rate, don't take much to make a shrill squeak.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Yeah I’m with the bad turbo group……the loud screech happened to me shortly before the shaft snapped in half.

Last edited:

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Yes I did , my car is a 2000 vw new beetle though.
I did the work myself , new remanufactured turbo Garrett VNT 15 , and new oil supply line from one of our reputable vendors on here.
I pulled IC piping and flushed them out.
I pulled the GP’s out and spun the engine with rags over the holes to see if any oil was injested…GP’s were bone dry and no oil came out.
All an all I probably spent $1000.00 US dollars and about 8-10 hours of labor.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
After listening to the video…..sounds like you may have a boost leak……I’d be looking for a loose pipe , split pipe etc……