Driver rear wondow wont go up or down but can hear motor

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI GLS
Wanted to ask what was the most common culprit? Motor or regulator? Switches are working and motor is getting power but window will not go up or down? I wanted to order parts but should I wait till my mechanic has it apart? It appears to be the window regulator because after Ive gotten the window up to the top I can push it back down without using the motor. I can also hear the motor run in both directions with the switch but glass wont budge? Would it be safe to order a new window regulator? Thanks guys this site is amazing.

Diesel Fumes

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 alh tdi 5 speed
Window may have fell off the bracket. Happened to mine a few times. I'm pretty quick at fixing them now. Handful of screws and you have the door panel off then there are a few access holes where you can see the window parts moving up and down. Not sure this is the issue but if you're handy at all its not a hard job to get in there

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI GLS
Thanks ive ordered a wondow regulator repair kit with the plastic pieces that normally break and the cable. Is there a piece that keeps the window on the bracket?

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Happened to me twice. The two piece pin that connects the window to the regulator tends to fall out and land on the bottom of the door.
No easy fix that I know of to reattach the pin assembly. You tube has some videos that may help.

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI GLS
Happened to me twice. The two piece pin that connects the window to the regulator tends to fall out and land on the bottom of the door.
No easy fix that I know of to reattach the pin assembly. You tube has some videos that may help.
So you were able to fix without parts?

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
On a comparable issue, I'd interrupt with a question. Rear window goes down, but gets cocked and refuses to go up by itself. it will go if guided. I am thinking a teardown and tighten its clamp a wee bit should fix the issue. Anything else I should look at whilst taking it apart on my way to the window/bracket bolts that might be an issue? Like perhaps tracks that are in need of an alignment? IDK...never been into this bit.
Thanks,
Douglas
(the '02 Jetta in this case )

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
I did replace the pin assembly, but I later found the OEM pins on my second attempt. The first replacement only lasted a couple of years.
Maybe I slam the door too hard.