Flickering screen of death!

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
Do you have VCDS? I can help you code if your car has the same configuration as mine.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
That's a ridiculous diagnostic fee. You already know the problem, nothing showing in the car menu. If they're going to charge $200 I would just flat ask them to re-code and parameterize the unit. It should fix it and if it doesn't you're in the same boat for what should be about the same quoted cost. And if it does fix it they should not charge you as that is warranty work. If there's a chance I'm going to pay $200 I'm telling them to do something, not play around with my car.

I recently replaced my main unit, like less than 2 weeks ago. I can tell you for sure that a new radio has practically nothing in any menu. I'm talking like 3 selections when pressing Menu.

Etoile

TDI
2009 Sportwagen no longer 2011 Jetta Sportwagen 2015 TDI Golf Sportwagen all manual
[FONT=&quot]I did the MIB2 conversion in our 2015 Sportwagen S last summer and have no regrets: I paid about $680 for everything (hardware, programming, shipping, etc) but it is not a trivial process so read the info in this link if you are interested in that option. The MIB2 hardware from any base 2016-17 MK7 (screen, head unit and USB Port) are direct swap for the MIB1 hardware in your car.
I heartily recommend the OEM upgrade as it is well worth the time & effort!

Base MIB2 keeps all OEM controls, menus, car interface etc. Adds faster response & better audio, higher resolution 6.5" screen vs 5.7", adds Android Auto and Apple Carplay so you get NAV and more by using your phone and the maps never need to be updated! :p

Aftermarket is not an easy solution either: You will likely have to pay extra to keep steering wheel controls, ALL car related menus, etc from the OEM unit will be gone and you will need to “modify” the dash to make it fit.

If you replace the stock MIB1 head unit with another one you will still have to go to the dealer to have Component Protection removed and the head unit coded to your VIN (this is not a VCDS thing) but they can do it easily. The screens can just be swapped with no programming, but with the high failure rate of the early MIB1s I suspect the issue is probably in the head unit.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I still have the MIB1 unit from our car: It was replaced under warranty because the original went bad right after we bought the car new in April 2017. The replacement head unit has a build date of 2017 so it is the "later" version from a different manufacturer and supposedly not as prone to issues as the early ones. It was working flawlessly when I removed it last September. PM me if you are interested, $75 to your door for the complete kit: screen, head unit, MID/aux port and manuals. Staying with the MIB1 is hands down the quickest and least expensive solution, but look into the MIB2 swap! HTH[/FONT]
Hi,
is your MIB1 kit still available? I have a 2015 TDI Sportwagen Golf. Screen started flickering yesterday when I turned on the radio. Car has only 37,000. Please let me know either way. Would be interested in giving it a new home.
Thank you

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
I have a complete MIB1 kit sitting in the garage.
pm me if interested.

hooville

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS, 2016 GTI, 2015 TDI Sportwagen S
My MIB1 is long gone, Nuje (above) has one available. I look at the MIB2 conversion thread from time to time and it looks like upgrading to MIB2 has gotten much easier and less expensive than when I did ours.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
Guys, make sure you have a way to deal with Component Protection, even if you get another MIB1.

Dealers around me just refuse to help with CP. Even if you can prove the part was legally obtained, and you offer to pay to get CP sorted.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
That's too bad. Maybe I'm lucky with my dealer, or just being a frequent customer (more in parts....almost never service) and have a good relationship with parts guys and some of the techs, but they're legit impressed / interested in the retrofits I ask about (some of which, even if they wanted to, their ODIS access won't allow them to do), and willing to help out when asked and it's possible for them to do.

Having said all that, the most reliable and economical way to deal with CP, I've found, is going with a remote access provider.
The catch there is that you need to have a VAS5054a (similar to VCDS, but dealer-level too - ~$100 at Aliexpress) to run ODIS.

Not simple, but not the most difficult thing to do either once you have the parts. pm me for options on potential contacts for remote work.