How do I retire my 2003 Jetta TDI

tonystdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta 700K miles, 2000 Jetta 288,000 miles
It time to ride off into the sunset. I don’t want to just take it to the junk yard. It can still get 50+ MPG on the highway. Tags run out July 31, 2022. I want it out of the driveway. Any suggestion, any ideas, any help. Does any one have any use for it?

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
It time to ride off into the sunset. I don’t want to just take it to the junk yard. It can still get 50+ MPG on the highway. Tags run out July 31, 2022. I want it out of the driveway. Any suggestion, any ideas, any help. Does any one have any use for it?
Giving up on the million mile quest??
I've got a similar dilemma. My 2001 (original jettawreck project) has only about 230k and runs flawless. The interior is still very good but body is shot from cheap aftermarket replacements, extensive bodywork failing from MN road salt/chemicals. And I have the 2003 in very nice shape to drive, neither of which gets used much anyways. Liability insurance and tabs are cheap but I just don't need it and five or six other vehicles.
It would make a great swap donor car.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
Post it on facebook marketplace. These are selling for double what they were 2 years ago. Really silly prices, especially for what they are getting for 01M autos

Ragdude

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 VW Golf SEL TDi
Perhaps donate it to a local high school automotive program?

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
I definitely second that, it's silly that local colleges are still teaching two stroke diesels, and don't have more modern engines to teach people.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
Put it on marketplace. Then collect offers. For such a beast as this, I would be tempted to disqualify anybody who does not have a recent pic of theirs( either former or present ). or, as much as I hate this method, one could enlist the help of a local pastor to find somebody who actually NEEDS it. So to say, finding somebody who actually needs it might be difficult on your own.

Douglas

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
seeing as your not going to post it appropriately, ill weigh in here. Its a beater car and by the sounds of it a cheap unmaintained money pit for you that gets no use. its only worth maybe 2 grand if its not rusted out. everyone here praises these as worth so much more than it is but no one here buys them for that price.
part out a few parts from it and scrap it or sell it for a grand. im sure some one here or a future member will buy it, come here and ask about cold air intakes and bigger coal rolling and ignore the maintenance issues.
im making jokes here as its kind of pointless now. you have your info and no one here can help you get rid of it.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
im sure some one here or a future member will buy it, come here and ask about cold air intakes and bigger coal rolling and ignore the maintenance issues.
im making jokes here as its kind of pointless now. you have your info and no one here can help you get rid of it.
You forgot hood stacks... they all have hood stacks ;)

valvecrusher

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 Passat, '00 Jetta

And I think its gonna be...a long long time, til touchdown takes me round again to find, I'm not the man they think i am at home.....
No, no.......
Im A Rocket-man!!!

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
Post it on facebook marketplace. These are selling for double what they were 2 years ago. Really silly prices, especially for what they are getting for 01M autos
Tell me about it. I fixed and flipped a 2003 Beetle with a 01M a few months ago and it sold for $3500, so I was happy.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Guarantee you the junkyard wouldn't give you $2K for it. More like $350 or less.
I said sell it for 2 grand if it runs. Scrap is 150. 350 if you tow it in yourself or drive it in.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Donate it to your favorite local charity.
People will balk at 700k miles, but in this market it would sell for a grand pretty quick.

tonystdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta 700K miles, 2000 Jetta 288,000 miles
Tell me about it. I fixed and flipped a 2003 Beetle with a 01M a few months ago and it sold for $3500, so I was happy.
Ok,762,000 miles engine
-Less than 200,000 on transmission, with 5th gear for better mpg
-low compression in at least two cylinders
-needs rear brakes
-needs rear shocks
-Frost Heater, easier starting in winter
This car is my daily ride, still average 50 mpg on the highway. The reason I’m getting of it is because I don’t want to put any more money into it.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
If I were closer, I'd buy it, but honestly, not at $2000. Sadly, I tend to look for deals (knowing I have to fix things, but that's part of the fun).

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
honestly it would be awesome to see somone make this car into a figure 8 racer or demo derby car. you can go a long time with no coolant or oil in these!
This might be the closest we get to a donor car. if only i was back in MD.... if you want a good cause, my sister lives in DC and could use a donor car!