2015 Passat TDI 80,000 engine over heats. heater core replaced

Lloydw

TDI
2005 Passat TDI
Wife said no heat on her side of floor. Yes heater core plugged. Drained antifreeze replaced with distilled water and drove 12 miles. repeated this 7 times and 10 gal distilled water. had heater core replaced and new antifreeze G13 filled. This was at 77,000 miles. Renewed heat on pass side. all ok. We took 3,000 mile trip to Mt. with no problems. Ran great. Had good heat. Until this weekend. I started out to drive and in 5 miles the temp gauge start climbing and did not stop until red line, The red lamp light on temp gauge was on. I stopped, engine of, rad fan was running on high. I checked coolant level, it was at max mark on expansion tank. Both heater hoses were cold. Top Radiator hose RH and LH hoses was cold. Drove in lower gear engine at 4,000 rpm. Had no heat from heater. After 4 miles heat returned from heater outlets. The temp gauge came down with no AC & no load on engine. Put in Drive and temp came back up. Only Red light was in temp gauge. No Check Engine Light. Returned home. Changed to different car.
Question can the engine get air lock? I have no loss of coolant. No heat from heater core outlets until I ran in lower gear at 4,000 rpm.???
Q Did the antifreeze crystallized and plugged heater core, also plug the EGR cooler, and Oil Cooler?
Q Do I need to replace EGR Cooler and Oil Cooler?
Q Is the water pump impeller plastic ? How do I test any of these?
Q Do the water pump have a problem?
Thanks for your help. Lloyd T

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat sedan - SOLD; 2013 Passat DSG; both purchased new
I think your water pump might have failed. One of the known issues with the '15 models. Do some searching for other threads on this forum.

Lloydw

TDI
2005 Passat TDI
Thanks, If I replace the water pump do I need to replace the EGR cooler and Oil Cooler also?

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat sedan - SOLD; 2013 Passat DSG; both purchased new
I am no expert but I think your overheating would be solved with just the water pump replacement. Others may know more.

Lloydw

TDI
2005 Passat TDI
I got it running to day. I replaced water pump with non variable pump. Replaced belt. I drove 20 miles and back to normal 190 operating temp.
Thanks to all for your help. Great source of help when needed. A Big Thank you. Lloyd

Lloydw

TDI
2005 Passat TDI
I got it running to day. I replaced water pump with non variable pump. Replaced belt. I drove 20 miles and back to normal 190 operating temp.
Thanks to all for your help. Great source of help when needed. A Big Thank you. Lloyd
After many miles all ok. Water pump was culprit. The vane was stuck not able to move it. Thanks to all.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
Thanks for reporting back. I'm not a fan of these variable pumps, I replaced them in both my cars when I did the TB.